Dynadot

域名|Chinese Perspective

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I believe only short and easy-to-remember domain names are sustainable, regardless of where in the world you live and which cultural background you come from.

Now that the Chinese domain market has become a hot topic, I myself want to understand this trend too. Is there any real meaning behind each domain name sold in China? Here, I'd like to share with you what I've found as I read the Chinese news everyday.

GZX.com
GZX can stand for 更自信 (even more self-confident) which can be used in many fields such as education, self-help, and even consumer products to raise your self image.

XLY.com
XLY can stand for 夏令营 (summer camp) or 新领域 (new field) which can be used in recreation and high-tech products.

New: Follow my blog posts on NamePros for updates.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What do you think about my domain:

eight8.info
See example of successful company Five9.com. Not sure about .info though.

What is the meaning of "MURUD"
Google translate - Breast"
is it true?
Muru:母乳>Mother's milk
No "D"

what do you think of this one? tr888 and this a0o0
TR888:通融888>Short-term loan 888.
I like it as a brand.

3279.com
- PZZY.com
pzzy:品质重要>Quality is important

What about palindromes?
I don't know. In fact, I don't understand much about chip etc. I only look at whether I can create meaning/brand out of a domain name.

Wht is ur thought on gdkfz
GD:广东>Guangdong province

KFZ:开发者>Developer
KFZ:客服组>Customer service
KFZ:康复者>Recovering patients
KFZ:孔夫子>Confucius
KFZ:看房子>View house

For GDKFZ, you can combine the two, but they don't form good Chinese phrases.

Very Crucial question, what will be the impact of todays China Stock Market crash on Domaining
I don't know. Long term, however, China is huge potential.

•••
Hey Kassey, I was wondering if S88W had any meaning? Thanks

•••
•••
990v.com Thoughts Kassey-thank you!

•••
Domain News Digest News Date: Jan 5

Nubia.com has gone live as official site
http://news.ename.cn/yumingyingyong_19700822_102491_1.html

2016 most profitable year for domain investment?
http://mt.sohu.com/20160105/n433490526.shtml

.xyz registration result in 2015
http://www.admin5.com/article/20160105/641088.shtml

7.gg sold for 30k CNY
http://news.ename.cn/yumingjiaoyi_20160105_102488_1.html

510.com sold for 1.7m CNY
http://news.ename.cn/yumingjiaoyi_20160105_102496_1.html

Use Google Translate to translate.

•••
Hi Kassey, what do you think of this one? 550O.com? Thank you!

•••
Hi Kassey,

Any tip on ykd?

Thanks

•••
I was wondering if S88W had any meaning?
Sorry I have no idea. I never understand this LNNL pattern. Of course, 88 is a favorable number. S & W together are good.
SW:商务>Business
SW:税务>Tax affairs

990v.com Thoughts Kassey-thank you!
990 is quite easy to remember, and "v" can be associated with "net" (even though "w" should be the "correct" way). I've started writing a post on why some Chinese also take "v" as "net", but somehow I can't finish it as there are too many things going on at the same time.
990:久久赢>Win forever

Any tip on ykd?
YKD:易快递>Easy and quick delivery (can be a brand)
YKD:易快贷>Easy and quik loan (can be a brand)
YKD:游客多>Many tourists
YKD:要快点>Want to hurry

I like it very much if it is .com.

Hi Kassey, what do you think of this one? 550O.com? Thank you!
I have trouble telling 0 from O.
550:玩玩赢>Play, play, win
but I don't like O because it's hard to form a meaning Chinese phrase using O.

•••
•••
•••
Sorry I have no idea. I never understand this LNNL pattern. Of course, 88 is a favorable number. S & W together are good.
SW:商务>Business
SW:税务>Tax affairs

990 is quite easy to remember, and "v" can be associated with "net" (even though "w" should be the "correct" way). I've started writing a post on why some Chinese also take "v" as "net", but somehow I can't finish it as there are too many things going on at the same time.
990:久久赢>Win forever

YKD:易快递>Easy and quick delivery (can be a brand)
YKD:易快贷>Easy and quik loan (can be a brand)
YKD:游客多>Many tourists
YKD:要快点>Want to hurry

I like it very much if it is .com.

I have trouble telling 0 from O.
550:玩玩赢>Play, play, win
but I don't like O because it's hard to form a meaning Chinese phrase using O.
Thank you Kassey re: 990v.com !

•••
BS888 does it have any meaning, I booked BS888.cc
I saw a god sell of bc888.cc in September for $1,650.

•••
•••
Kassey-we own this package of 5L.com Do you like any for the Chinese market? Thank you in advance!
Toyiz.com Driil.com Eozii.com Fogiy.com iirio.com imuui.com iolii.com Phlil.com Riily.com Tuiiy.com

Xolii.com Xooii.com Ziiil.com Yexli.com ( if you don't we wont be insulted lol)

Last edited:
•••
Need an advice for names below from "chinese perspective", appreciate your feedback or feedback of people who have clue about meanings of names below

LZF
HFZ
GDLF
TDHM
RLTB
TBLR
XSXN
NXSA
FYAS

•••
BS888 does it have any meaning

BS:宝石>Gem

So 宝石888 fits.

Any meaning for XSMXS?
For 5L or more, personally I don't try to find meanings. They are not frequently used by Chinese companies because the Pinyin equivalent will be too long. But, to satisfy your curiosity, here are two:

XSMXS:像算命先生>Like a fortune teller (provided by Google Translate)
XSMXS:先生卖小说>Man selling novels

Kassey-we own this package of 5L.com Do you like any for the Chinese market? Thank you in advance!
Toyiz.com Driil.com Eozii.com Fogiy.com iirio.com imuui.com iolii.com Phlil.com Riily.com Tuiiy.com

Xolii.com Xooii.com Ziiil.com Yexli.com ( if you don't we wont be insulted lol)
All my 5Ls have no Chinese meanings. They were all acquired for the west. Reason explained above. Maybe the following one has potential, for branding.

Toyiz:Toy爱子>Toy, love child

No need to translate "Toy" as Chinese know this common term.

Need an advice for names below from "chinese perspective", appreciate your feedback or feedback of people who have clue about meanings of names below

LZF
HFZ

LZF:龙珠坊>Dragon ball square (as in "public square")

•••

So 宝石888 fits.

Wow, again a post full of knowledge, BS= Gems, good one

For 5L or more, personally I don't try to find meanings. They are not frequently used by Chinese companies because the Pinyin equivalent will be too long. But, to satisfy your curiosity, here are two:

All my 5Ls have no Chinese meanings. They were all acquired for the west. Reason explained above. Maybe the following one has potential, for branding.

•••
Actually I have the domain: 3xi1.com, maybe it means 3 learn from 1, just as Confucius said: When I walk along with two others, they may serve me as my teachers. Maybe someone would be interested.
Or how about three times infinity=one ? /;)

•••

So 宝石888 fits.

Thank you!

•••
Future trend in China: domain name becoming part of a brand

At eName's 10th Anniversary event, one key discussion was "Domain Name + Trademark", in other words domain name becoming part of a brand (trademark).

Domain king Wen Sheng CAI commented on eName expanding into IP trading services and said eName could become the No. 1 IP trading platform in China. He encouraged investors to put more thought into seeing domain name as part of a brand, the value of which would be infinite.

Investor Can Ming TANG also felt domain name+TM would become corporate brand in the future.

The number of TM registered in 2014 is 2.28m, and is poised to exceed 3m this year. To bank on this trend, eName has launched a TM marketplace on 393.com, allowing owners and buyers of TM to trade easily.

American law doesn't allow TM's to be sold independent of company. Is this what your referring to ? Other countries do allow TM's to be sold independent of company. There is speculation Google has done this.

•••
Interesting naming convention

Afanti (阿凡题) develops educational apps for students. The company has just received US$ 60m Series B funding. So, it's a serious startup.

What do you think is the domain name they use? Afanti100.com

The Pinyin part is the name of the company, and 100 implies 100% score. Well, it does make sense for an educational app developer. Agree?

The company also owns afanti100.cn and aft100.cn. Unfortunately, Afanti in .com, .cn, and .com.cn extensions all belong to somebody else.

I like aft100 could you explain A fan ti ? or af an ti ?

•••
Stats about Internet in China
As of July, 2015

Internet population: 668m (No. 1 globally)
Websites: 4m
Domain names: 22m (.cn 12m)
Fixed line broadband subscribers: 200m (No 1 globally)
4G mobile broadband subscribers: 250m (No 1 globally)
Internet companies listed: 328 (61 in US, 26% of China's total stock market value)
Companies in Internet Global Top Ten: Alibaba, Tencent, Baidu, JD.com
Value of Internet economy: 7% of GDP and rising

So, you can see there's still tremendous growth potential of domain names in China

Thanks for the stats ! I took a look at Americas. Most interesting is

Websites : USA 510m (live) vs China 7m (live) Much room to grow !

43% of the top 1 million are USA based.
11% for each of the remaining top regions.

GDP% - Internet based Top 6 countries Can India catch up ? # of Websites (Million)
China 7 8-9% in 24 months ? 7
India 5.6 7% ? 700(thousand)
USA 5.5 7% ? 81
EU 3.8 Average over all 5% ? 18
Australia 3.7 4% ? 2
Canada 3.6 4% ? 4

•••
Finding gems even in long numbers

What I have realized is that: you can still find gems even in long numbers. The trick is to turn a long number into a meaningful Chinese phrase. For example, I just came across domain name 1314527.com now being sold with BIN of 5,000 RMB.

1314527:一生一世我爱吃>I love to eat forever

We be thinkin the same. I just picked up 1230521.com

•••
@168, You need to separate your comment from the quoted source. No wonder I could not see your comment. You comments are hidden in the quoted texts. Please check.

•••
@168 - Make sure you type your message after or below the [raw][/QUOTE][/raw] text. Do not type your message before it, otherwise your message will become part of the quote.

I hope that helps.

@168, You need to separate your comment from the quoted source. No wonder I could not see your comment. You comments are hidden in the quoted texts. Please check.
Fixed.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back