Dynadot

status-monitor Change way Popular is determined?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
We all know that threads that make it to the popular today, this week or this month, and get listed in the right hand sidebar, have a big advantage and tend to get more replies and that helps keep them there.

I think the current system, which I take is number of replies discounting those by the original poster, is flawed. What it means is that someone can start a frivolous thread, perhaps with questionable or inappropriate language or seemingly false claims, and then many complain about it, the number of replies goes up, the thread makes it to the most popular list, edging out many other threads that are truly valuable to our community.

I know the answer is to simply ignore and they will go away, but many members have difficulty doing this for the obvious reason of not wanting incorrect or misleading content on the site. Surely we could have a better way to choose popular?

Not wanting to pick on any thread, but there is one currently on the popular list that demonstrates this problem perfectly. The original post has 1 like and 4 dislikes. There are 7 replies but essentially they all disagree with the original post (there is one useful one that points out an error in the terms used). One reply from a respected member even suggests a useless posts section for threads like this. But yet, this thread is there in the middle of the most popular today. If i just stumbled on the site I would think this must present information of interest to domainers.

I am not sure exactly how a better system would be, but maybe we need some way for community to indicate how valuable a thread is, and threads that do well get promoted. I know sometimes the first post is not particularly strong, but leads to a good thread. What I have in mind is a 10 point scale each person reading a thread can give a rating on the thread overall (and ideally change it if the thread evolves), and instead of popular feature ones that the community say are worthwhile.

Now I do realize a weakness in any community that some may try to use any system to discount contributions from some, but surely we are a big enough community that would not be a serious problem. I think the vast majority of our members want to make this great community even better.

Anyway, just a thought. Thanks to the moderators for all of the great work they do.(y)

Bob

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Perhaps we could filter out threads with more than X dislikes from the popular widgets, but there may be one or two threads in Popular This Week right now that shouldn't be and they currently have 0 dislikes.

As you mentioned, if we did make it based on dislikes, it may be manipulated so perhaps we could base it on the dislikes by VIP and Upgraded member only to avoid that.

Any other thoughts?

•••
We all know that threads that make it to the popular today, this week or this month, and get listed in the right hand sidebar, have a big advantage and tend to get more replies and that helps keep them there.

I think the current system, which I take is number of replies discounting those by the original poster, is flawed. What it means is that someone can start a frivolous thread, perhaps with questionable or inappropriate language or seemingly false claims, and then many complain about it, the number of replies goes up, the thread makes it to the most popular list, edging out many other threads that are truly valuable to our community.

I know the answer is to simply ignore and they will go away, but many members have difficulty doing this for the obvious reason of not wanting incorrect or misleading content on the site. Surely we could have a better way to choose popular?

Not wanting to pick on any thread, but there is one currently on the popular list that demonstrates this problem perfectly. The original post has 1 like and 4 dislikes. There are 7 replies but essentially they all disagree with the original post (there is one useful one that points out an error in the terms used). One reply from a respected member even suggests a useless posts section for threads like this. But yet, this thread is there in the middle of the most popular today. If i just stumbled on the site I would think this must present information of interest to domainers.

I am not sure exactly how a better system would be, but maybe we need some way for community to indicate how valuable a thread is, and threads that do well get promoted. I know sometimes the first post is not particularly strong, but leads to a good thread. What I have in mind is a 10 point scale each person reading a thread can give a rating on the thread overall (and ideally change it if the thread evolves), and instead of popular feature ones that the community say are worthwhile.

Now I do realize a weakness in any community that some may try to use any system to discount contributions from some, but surely we are a big enough community that would not be a serious problem. I think the vast majority of our members want to make this great community even better.

Anyway, just a thought. Thanks to the moderators for all of the great work they do.(y)

Bob

Brilliant Idea Bob.

When these useless threads are in our face everywhere they become a major distraction and become extremely hard to unsee, just like a train wreck.

This will take the focus off of these pure attention whore junkies looking for likes and put the focus back on making money in domaining.

•••
Perhaps we could filter out threads with more than X dislikes from the popular widgets, but there may be one or two threads in Popular This Week right now that shouldn't be and they currently have 0 dislikes.

As you mentioned, if we did make it based on dislikes, it may be manipulated so perhaps we could base it on the dislikes by VIP and Upgraded member only to avoid that.

Any other thoughts?

Maybe not have a popular section. It's always been odd to me that I have seen people brag about starting a thread that got to that section. As I said to many people here in private, if that's what gives you a chubby, start a controversial post and watch it move to popular. Maybe there is just too much going on here and you let the cream rise to the top on it's own and get discovered that way.

If you say dislikes, that can be easily manipulated, since the like dislike started here years ago, I have had many people, (many I don't know, ask if I can help by disliking a post) so that's not the way either.

I also think you have a beginner section so when beginners post some of these threads that many see as pointless, they should go there or break room.

But on a forum anything can be manipulated if people care that much to manipulate.

•••
one doesn't have to be liked, to be popular

johnn started a thread and got lots of dislikes in initial post, but it was a popular thread.
and his point was validated by actions taken later

so....either get rid of it like @equity78 said or leave it alone

who cares what or who is popular?

not me.

only interested in subject titles and content

imo...

•••
What I have in mind is a 10 point scale each person reading a thread can give a rating on the thread overall (and ideally change it if the thread evolves), and instead of popular feature ones that the community say are worthwhile.

Sounds good in theory .. but I'm not sure how easily it could be implemented, or more importantly, if it would affect overall performance.

Also .. features like that are often used at the start .. but ultimately after forgotten and/or not used by enough members to be relevant.

I wouldn't say no .. but I'm not sure the actual results would be better .. in fact it could be worse if it's the same people promoting the same threads.

Any other thoughts?

1- How the heck does NP work so fast with some many modifications? lol

2- I don't think it's ideal as it's not really what "dislikes" should be used for. People will ultimately issue dislikes for popularity purposes. I personally think "dislikes" should only be given when a member says something that is deliberately bad for the community. EI: unprofessional, deliberate misinformation, rudeness, etc .. it shouldn't be used simply when "disagreeing", nor should it be used because you personally don't find the topic of interest.

Last edited:
•••

Any other thoughts?

I think I am not inclined to give dislikes too much weight, even if from a select group. I agree entirely what @Ategy said:
I personally think "dislikes" should only be given when a member says something that is deliberately bad for the community. EI: unprofessional, deliberate misinformation, rudeness, etc .. it shouldn't be used simply when "disagreeing"

I still like the value score weighting, but as @Ategy says perhaps it would not really work in practice.

Has NamePros ever tried instead of a Popular simply randomly present all of the active threads? Sort of along lines of what @Equity says.

A very simple change might be to call them Active, rather than Popular, which is really what they are currently.

There is no doubt that controversy is what skyrockets as @Equity says. Maybe no simple solutions.

Thanks for at least being open to changes.

Bob

•••
I had a new idea this morning. Have we considered rather than asking people to rate threads, which is probably burdensome, instead add a button called something like highlight thread that means in their opinion that thread has noteworthy content. Then when enough people have done that, it gets listed on the right sidebar for some period of time. It is kind of like community favourites, but I see it as having maybe 5 or so threads constantly. It could, perhaps, replace Popular eventually, or if want keep the existing popular but rename it Active.

Bob

•••
A very simple change might be to call them Active, rather than Popular, which is really what they are currently.
That's something that would be easy to do: rename it from "Popular" to "Active."

However, it's worth recognizing that even things that are negative with a lot of activity are also considered popular ("infamous"). Therefore, the rename wouldn't necessarily be more accurate, but perhaps it would result in slightly less implied support for the topics by the community, which was unintentional.

I had a new idea this morning. Have we considered rather than asking people to rate threads, which is probably burdensome, instead add a button called something like highlight thread that means in their opinion that thread has noteworthy content. Then when enough people have done that, it gets listed on the right sidebar for some period of time. It is kind of like community favourites, but I see it as having maybe 5 or so threads constantly. It could, perhaps, replace Popular eventually, or if want keep the existing popular but rename it Active.
This would be interesting to try!

It may suffer from the same fate that @Ategy mentioned where only a few members use it in the long run, and then it becomes solely representative of their tastes rather than the community's, but perhaps more members would participant if it's a single button to highlight.

It might still make sense to only offer it to VIP and Upgraded members to cut down on abuse of it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

•••

I don't really want to be a Debbie-Downer .. but I remember when I added a "Star" rating system on my music forum a billion years ago .. it was the same tiny number of people who used it .. and eventually nobody did. Mind you I don't think I had a side bar like that back then, but still, I just don't think it would be worth the hassle.

Also I'm not sure any other technical solution will really offer enough differing results to justify the changes.

You're probably the most active and involved person here .. maybe the real solution is for you to hand curate a top X of domains. It's like why argue whether Estibot or GoValuate is better .. when you could use a human and be 100x better than either! ;)

That being said .. @Mod Team Bravo .. yes .. IF you are going to implement something technical like a star rating .. definitely only make it for above a certain account level.

•••
Perhaps step one is to see if it is only me who feel concern that good threads are being missed and ones not really deserving sometimes are highlighted on the right hand sidebar :xf.wink:. I am one of a million members. I actually have not heard of others complaining, so maybe ignore me is the smart thing. :xf.grin: I don't feel super strongly, and @James Iles weekly picks does an outstanding job highlighting threads that are worthy. Actually, that brings up another idea, have you thought of putting links to his picks for the week on the right hand column?

But really I like NamePros pretty well just as it is :xf.smile: , so sorry to bother your overworked time with ideas that just really reflect my own thinking.

Bob

•••
hand curate a top X of [Discussions]
putting links to [James Iles'] picks for the week on the right hand column?
Another interesting idea!

Please Like this post if you'd like to see a widget of hand-curated Top Topics each week, or Dislike this post if you don't want that as a widget.

Thanks.

•••
Oppps .. I wrote "Top x of domains" .. but obviously meant "Top X of Discussions" .. (meaning the most interesting/noteworthy/suggested/whatever)

Perhaps step one is to see if it is only me who feel concern that good threads are being missed and ones not really deserving sometimes are highlighted on the right hand sidebar :xf.wink:. I am one of a million members.
You're not alone .. I certainly use that feature myself quite a bit. ;)

To me however .. the current situation isn't broken enough to justify changing. If anything I'd add a few more to the list .. top 8 as opposed to top 6 .. maybe even go for top 10

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back