IT.COM

question Can you park a domain and also have email?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Can you park a domain name with one service and have an email for that domain with another service?

Let’s say domain is registered at GoDaddy.

Then i want to park at bodis so i change nameservers to ns1.bodis and ns2.bodis

Then I want to use GoDaddy email service

how do I do that?

Cause when you try to use GoDaddy email service, it says you have to use GoDaddy nameservers.
If u use GoDaddy nameservers, bodis parking will be gone.

Thanks for the help.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I don't have the technical answer to your question at this point. Watching the thread and will contribute if I can. Interesting question mate.

•••
Don't know about GoDaddy , but I have same situation , namecheap worked for me

•••
Yes, most registrars will allow you to set DNS records for your domain. You would use the registrar’s name servers then set the A and CNAME records as appropriate for your parking company and the MX records for the email provider.

•••
•••
Based on my experience the answer is No.

I have some domains registred with namesilo and parked with Dan and sedo, I have tried to setup Zoho email for those domains But failed, I have emailed namesilo support and they said the domain should be pointed to namesilo NS in order to MX to resolve and the email to work properly.

Last edited:
•••
Based on my experience the answer is No.

I have some domains registred with namesilo and parked with Dan and sedo, I have tried to setup Zoho email for those domains But failed, I have emailed namesilo support and they said the domain should be pointed to namesilo NS in order to MX to resolve and the email to work properly.
With the info above, you should be able to. I am going to test it today with zoho.

•••
sure
just point the mx nameserver details to a hoster that gives you an email and the
web related entries to the parking company

•••
Ok, so update.....
For zoho (and pretty much anything) you often just want to receive email confirmation codes, but not send email.
I found that @NameCheapHosting and @InternetBS both do free catch all email forwarding. Perfect for things that don't need actual email and im so glad I found that today!!!!

For both NC and IB, you need to ensure that you first switch to their dns / ns.
Then the root domain needs to be forwarded to the www.
Then the WWW is forwarded by cname to bodis (youridnumber.BODIS.COM) - just use www in the CNAME record, not the @ or blank.
If you want to set up zoho, you need to set up the catch all first so that you can receive the OTP. Then you can add the TXT, SPF, MX and DKMI as normal.

Last edited:
•••
whoops I missed a step. I'll set it out clearer here....
1 - Delete your current NS and change them to your domain registrars free dns ns
2 - URL forwarding - forward the root domain to the www.
3 - CNAME record - only do the alias as www (not blank or @). and put in youridnumber.BODIS.COM. This will then forward the domain to bodis
4 - Email forwarding - do a blank catch all to send all mail to a regular email address.

If you want to set up zoho, you need to set up the catch all first so that you can receive the OTP when you sign up. Once signed up, you can then add the TXT, SPF, MX and DKMI in to the DNS as normal and delete the catch all / any mx records / spf records it created.

If you need any help, just pm me. Happy to help

•••
What exactly do i do for a domain registered at GoDaddy and want to use GoDaddy email service and park at bodis?

Thank you.

•••
What exactly do i do for a domain registered at GoDaddy and want to use GoDaddy email service and park at bodis?

Thank you.
Use Godaddys dns - follow the instructions above

•••
I know how to do steps 1, 2, 3 but don’t understand step 4.

What does this mean and how do i do this?

4. Email forwarding - do a blank catch all to send all mail to a regular email address.

Thanks.

•••
What exactly do i do for a domain registered at GoDaddy and want to use GoDaddy email service

1. Change the DNS to godaddy in doman management. Your dns will become <something> dot domaincontrol dot com

2. Follow the instructions of your e-mail provider, which in this case is also GoDaddy, to set mx records in DNS. Unsure what exact godaddy service your paid for - it may be hosting, vps, just email.. (?)

Now, your e-mail is working. Of course you'll also need to set mailboxes, maybe forwarding - all in email control panel.

Last step: go back to DNS management and set A-record and CNAME records as per instructions from your bodis account. Do not touch previously set mx records.

Last edited:
•••
@anunt
Email forwarding -
in namecheap (off the top of my head as I cant log in at the moment), you look under your domains and there is a seperate section for email forwarding. You can sellect catch all (eg nothing before the @ and then the address you want to forward to.

With internetbs, its in the DNS settings.

Both are free

I just did a load of googling for godaddy - Sorry, but they no longer offer free email forwarding or free catchalls :xf.frown: In which case, you have to pay for an email with Godaddy.

@tonyk2000 - I was trying to avoid the setting up of MX records. For Zoho, they require you to host an email, to be able to get a one time password, before you set up an account (Ironically for them to host your email). With my method, you can get things like OTPs and not need a full email address. You can, however add the MX after for full email service.

Last edited:
•••
I was trying to avoid the setting up of MX records.
If you use registrar-powered free email forwarding - some MX records will still be in DNS, added automatically by the registrar as a part of 1-click setup. You cannot receive emails on a domain without MX records (actually you can if a webserver and mailserver are on the same IP, as the sending mail system will normally try A-record as the last resort, but such a setup is neither recommended nor possible for a parked domain).

It appears that @anunt is configuring full-featured email provided by GoDaddy. What is unclear (or, maybe I missed it?) - what exact GoDaddy service are we speaking about, so it is hard to provide specific answers. Is it vps, or hosted email, or anything else? Some registrars also resell office365 and the like for email purposes. MX setup would be different in each case...

•••
•••
Yes I paid godaddy for Microsoft 365 email service

•••
For Microsoft 365 email, MX record normally is:

weight: 1 (or any other number: 5, 10...)
host: anunt-com.mail.protection.outlook.com

(if the domain is anunt.com for example)

Just one MX record.

Must be the same for GoDaddy reselling it, however, please double check inside your account or welcome email. I tried to confirm it on https://www.godaddy.com/help/microsoft-365-from-godaddy-1000005 (detailed help), but cannot find any public info on MX records.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back