IT.COM

Can I embed video to forum posts?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Can I embed video to my forum posts?
I looked around but couldn't find this feature. If this is not available may I suggest adding this feature.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,
Is there anybody out there?

I would be cool if we could display images and video in forum messages. As far as I know, currently you can not display them but can only add as attachment. I have seen in other vbulletin forum people adding video as well as images.

image test:
adorable-puppies.jpg

video test:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBSOeUCzefQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBSOeUCzefQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

[youtube]KBSOeUCzefQ[/youtube]

----------
Edit:
OK. It looks like images work. How about videos?

Attachments

• chantelly-puppies.jpg
    chantelly-puppies.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
•••
I don't think the NP Admins would implement this.

I wouldn't want this to be implemented too because NP is a domaining forum not an entertainment forum; We need faster loading pages. :)

Why not just leave a youtube link on your post? :P

•••
Hi Janine,
The videos I have in mind are about domaining. These are things like screen recordings. For instance how do you export domain whois search statistics on your godaddy account. How do you make an instant transfer at godaddy? How can you see number of visitors to your sale page at sedo. Embedded videos don't add any load to namepros servers. They are hosted elsewhere.

Yes of course you can add a link to the page instead embedding the video but people eye scan pages in seconds. Those links would go unnoticed, whereas any video link on any page is almost the first thing users click. Another thing is, if video embedding was allowed more people would do screen recordings. I'm at namepros about 4 years now and I haven't seen a single how to video about domaining.

One other advantage is that, search engines will index those pages with video and there are a lot of people who search for video and not text. On google you can type "domain transfer" and make a search for videos.

Following the same logic there is no need to add any image because you can add a link to the image. But images make pages visually appealing and more enjoyable to look at. The same is true for video.

I understand that NP wouldn't want the forum to be filled with unrelated video but this feature could be available to paid members and it could be limited to videos about domaining.

There is no need to be so negative without giving it a try. But I agree with you. The reaction to suggestions from NP is not exactly impressive.

Last edited:
•••
In the message above I added a picture but I can't do the same in other forum sections.

I would like to add videos and pictures related to domaining to my forum messages. I'm not talking about entertainment. I'm talking about domaining.

Is this all I get from posting a suggestion here? A misunderstood reply by one person and no reply at all from anybody else?

Is anybody actually monitoring this forum section?

Forum messages are too dull. Video and images are content too. This is the reason why many websites have them! Content is not only about text.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

On this page you can see a youtube video embedded to vbulletin forum message. The videos are still hosted at youtube but they will play in the message.

MINI TUTORIAL: How to embed YouTube videos into forums - TalkGraphics.com

So allowing video embedding will not cost you any extra hosting space or anything else. ıt is just a nice vbulleting feature that you could add with no cost at all.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back