Dynadot

Buyer Wants Me to Change Contact Email for Transfer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I sold a domain through eBay. The buyer paid today and I sent him the Auth code and unlocked the domain for transfer. The buyer replied to the email saying he wants me to change the contact email over to him so he can transfer it.

Do you think this is a reasonable request? Most sales I have done I have kept my own email as the contact email, then waited for the transfer confirmation email. Haven't had an issue doing it this way.

I understand his side of it, but I am worried he might say the domain didn't transfer or something. Thoughts, opinions, advice?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There's a chance that after he transfers it, he doesn't change the whois info and leaves your name/address/phone # there.

Would you be comfortable with that? He could impersonate you, when he tries to sell it. Maybe he's banned somewhere.

•••
No, I obviously wouldn't be comfortable with him trading on my name. Are you suggesting I change all the Whois info over to him?

•••
Doing it yourself, will lock it and prevent the transfer.

Ask him why he can't do it the traditional way.

•••
•••
If you change the registrant name, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to transfer out after that. I think this is standard at most registrars.

•••
Thanks RazorNF! That's good to know.

•••
I would call your registrar. I think some registrars give an option to push/transfer the whois automatically (if you choose) to the new owners info on record.

•••
Doing it yourself, will lock it and prevent the transfer.
I think it's only godaddy that will lock down the domain for 60 days when changes are made to the whois record...

I guess the buyer is asking for that change so he will receive the authorization E-mail, and he can carry out the transfer himself (you don't have to monitor your E-mail and wait for that message).

Another possible reason is that some registrars do not handle incoming transfers well: they transfer the domain but do not change the owner, they treat that as a separate operation.

Ask for clarification why do they require this. Also be aware that if the domain is at godaddy, it may not be a good idea.

•••
couple of theories,

- He may leave it in your name, so that he can start reselling the name right away, instead of having to wait.

- is it a restricted cctld? maybe the buyer doesn't qualify and wants to leave it with your address.

•••
I wrote back to him and said I would feel more comfortable keeping the email in my name, but would talk with 1and1 to make sure it was ok if he wanted. He initiated the transfer later that night and I forwarded the GoDaddy email to him. It was a COM.

I think it's only godaddy that will lock down the domain for 60 days when changes are made to the whois record...

Yes, apparently GoDaddy does that but it's when you change the owner. I believe that is against ICANN policies from what I read.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back