NameSilo

Buckingham Palace buys domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A spokesman for Buckingham Palace said: “We have purchased a number of URLs as a precautionary measure to stop others using them and in case we want to use them in the future.”

Wonder what genius is behind these regs/buys. Most of them are dot.org's, so the above statement 'stop others using them' etc makes no sense. Why reg them in just dot.org and still allow someone else to own the dot.com's and dot.uk's and any other extension? Crazy.

Also, they mention getting the names so cybersquatters won't reg them and then try to sell them back to the royal family. So cybersquatters are really going to reg a name like EarlAndCountessOfWessex.com and ThePrincessRoyal.org and think they'll make a bundle selling it back to the royals? - Especially when the royals seem to go for the dot.org's? Sure, they regged a couple dot.com's too, like the one above, but what's with all the dot.org's?

Also, the person behind these crazy regs doesn't know about trademarks and domains. If anyone has a 'royal name' domain of some famous royal/s, it won't take much for the royal fam to prove the domains were regged in bad faith, and have the registrar hand them over.

Sounds like the royal fam hired a newbie domainer who doesn't know much about anything, these regs make no sense at all. They should've called me. I'd have regged, like, eEarlAndCountessOfWessex.com and EarlAndCountessOfWessexBlog.com too, ha ha. Just to make sure no cybersquatters got them first.

•••
The Royals do not need to sell t-shirts and coffee mugs on a dot com. The dot org is more classy and suits any charitable endeavors they may have on the web.

•••
Sounds like the royal fam hired a newbie domainer who doesn't know much about anything, these regs make no sense at all.
In the old days, if you're employed in Her Majesty's service and you do something like this, the Queen would have had your head chopped off.

•••
Amusing thread. I wonder how much they paid for the domains

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back