IT.COM

fun BREAKING -- com to be retired as TLD!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
April 1, 2019

BREAKING -- BREAKING--BREAKING -- BREAKING-- BREAKING--BREAKING -- BREAKING

It has just been revealed the the .com domain extension will be retired. Current registrants will be allowed to continue to use their domain names until the current expiration date, or for 12 months from today, whichever comes first, but no new registrations, transfers or renewals will be possible.

It appears this drastic move came about because a top executive happened to look in a dictionary and discovered that com is a prefix as a part of speech. Therefore it was semantically incorrect to use it after a name. It is not clear why no one realized this for decades. An unnamed source close to the situation said "...we were all living in the .com bubble."

Once ICANN were informed that the .com TLD was not congruent with accepted language use, emergency meetings at an undisclosed location took place. These secret meetings at an undisclosed resort in Florida apparently included ICANN, Verisign, the U.S. Department of Commerce, and industry leaders. There are conflicting reports whether domain investors were included in the meetings.

Some long term investors have had their net worth eliminated overnight. One well known early .com domain investor was taking it in a surprisingly positive way. "Don't worry folks, I can start all over." At the time he made that remark, however, he mistakenly thought there was a .chicken TLD and he was angry when told there was not. However, he was reported to have registered more than 20,000 .horse domains in just hours as a substitute.

At the same time as ICANN announced the retirement of .com they also announced that going forward they would approve prefix domains, and the first prefix domains would be called com. That is domains like com.NamePros would be available starting April 1, 2020. All domains with fewer than 63 characters would be considered registry premium, and offered at prices of $200,000 and up. Names up to 63 characters in length are allowed. That is the only non-premium domain names will be exactly 63 characters long. Domain investors were working hard to find great 63 character names.

As off this time many of the other legacy extensions, including .net and .info, were not impacted.

Stock values saw wild fluctuations as the impact of this decision became evident. We expect additional details as the story unfolds.

Check out the tags for the topic for additional information.

Got other breaking news from today, April 1, 2019 -- please share it in this thread!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Finally .net will be king! Woohoo! ;)

•••
April 1, 2019

It has just been revealed the the .com domain extension will be retired. Current registrants will be allowed to continue to use their domain names until the current expiration date, or for 12 months from today, whichever comes first, but no new registrations, transfers or renewals will be possible.

It appears this drastic move came about because a top executive happened to look in a dictionary and discovered that com is a prefix as a part of speech. Therefore it was semantically incorrect to use it after a name. It is not clear why no one realized this for decades. An unnamed source close to the situation said "...we were all living in the .com bubble."

Once ICANN were informed that the .com TLD was not congruent with accepted language use, emergency meetings at an undisclosed location took place. These secret meetings at an undisclosed resort in Florida apparently included ICANN, Verisign, the U.S. Department of Commerce, and industry leaders. There are conflicting reports whether domain investors were included in the meetings.

Some long term investors have had their net worth eliminated overnight. One well known early .com domain investor was taking it in a surprisingly positive way. "Don't worry folks, I can start all over." At the time he made that remark, however, he mistakenly thought there was a .chicken TLD and he was angry when told there was not. However, he was reported to have registered more than 20,000 .horse domains in just hours as a substitute.

At the same time as ICANN announced the retirement of .com they also announced that going forward they would approve prefix domains, and the first prefix domains would be called com. That is domains like com.NamePros would be available starting April 1, 2020. All domains with fewer than 63 characters would be considered registry premium, and offered at prices of $200,000 and up. Names up to 63 characters in length are allowed. That is the only non-premium domain names will be exactly 63 characters long. Domain investors were working hard to find great 63 character names.

As off this time many of the other legacy extensions, including .net and .info, were not impacted.

Stock values saw wild fluctuations as the impact of this decision became evident. We expect additional details as the story unfolds.

Got other breaking news from today, April 1, 2019 -- please share it in this thread!
1st April???? APril fool yeah???

•••
•••
Sounds like an april fools joke,icann cares about one thing money and the train keeps coming in,The one thing they don't give a crap about is the hundred of millions of dollars they get from registrants,thousands of domains are being deleting each week out of alpnames account and they really are not doing crap about this.All I know is that verisgn told me last week that all my expired domains are set to delete,after this happens I guess anyone can register them,if there is a lawyer out there watching ,this can be a huge class action suit against verisgn alpnames and icann

•••
Breaking! Breaking! Breaking! Bob Hawkes found his flux capacitor and would go back in time to un retire .com. Woohoo .COMers are saved!

•••
April 1, 2019

GoDaddy Rebrands!

We have just learned that industry giant GoDaddy has rebranded itself as GoFamilyMember. The move came after it was drawn to the attention of the company how noninclusive and insensitive the company had been in naming themselves after a single family member.

In a leaked press release the company apparently writes "We want to sincerely apologize to all of the mothers, daughters, grandmothers, aunts, sons,uncles, kids who felt excluded by our company branding. That was never our intention."

As a gesture to those excluded the company has offered a discount code NotDaddyApril that can be used only by those who are not fathers or robots to get a domain name only on April 1, 2019 between the hours of 2 am and 6 am for the industry leading price of $0.49. It can be used only for a single domain name. The coupon will be available at 8 am on April 1, 2019.

The rebrand already seems in trouble however, as The Society for Non Family Members is saying they were excluded even from the rebranded name. The group suggests GoFamilyOrNonfamilyMemberOrWhoever.com as the name. The company is apparently seriously considering the proposal.

GoDaddy stock values skyrocketed up on the original announcement, but now have dropped.

We expect additional details soon on this developing story.

•••
•••
It is important to note release dates and tags for those reading this thread, people. Just saying.:xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
April 1, 2019

It has just been revealed the the .com domain extension will be retired.
Amazing. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

•••
Major domain news from Canada (so proud!) coming soon to this thread. So excited to break the news. Hint -- think coffee people!

•••
Major domain news from Canada (so proud!) coming soon to this thread. So excited to break the news. Hint -- think coffee people!
It's spelled Covfefe.

•••
•••
•••
GoDaddy Rebrands!

We have just learned that industry giant GoDaddy has rebranded itself as GoFamilyMember. !

They only did that because they are too cheap to buy GoMama.com or YoMama.com.

•••
In this hot news day there is .top related news coming soon to this thread. Stay tuned please!
Could you hold off few minutes while I go register a few, well, a few hundred....

•••
tunafish.net ,for sale 300k this is cheap being the news that's out

•••
life is funny
this happened exactly at same time as bitcoin went to zero

which I just posted on anoither thread.

•••
2xhek5.jpg

Last edited:
•••
In this hot news day there is .top related news coming soon to this thread. Stay tuned please!

Isn't it supposed to be a secret that all those domains will be transferred to .pot?

And don't tell anyone they are launching a new .cbd extension or cbd sales will dry up.

•••
April 1, 2019

.TOP registry also owns .POT TLD!!

In an overlooked clause in their ICANN agreement certain new gTLD registries were granted rights to both their applied domain name and the letter reversed equivalent. While a number are impacted, like .xyz registry also own .zyx, there are two huge winners from this.

It turns out that the .top registry also owns .pot as a TLD. Company fortunes skyrocketed on the announcement and countries like Canada that had only invested in a few .top previously became major registrants in hours.

Another huge winner was the registry running .dog, which has thinly traded so far. When they discovered they also own .god as a TLD their fortunes are looking up, although various religious groups have already appealed to ICANN to intervene. Legal scholars feel that they may well be successful.

We reached out to those who run the .ooo registry. Their only comment was a sad face emoji. :xf.frown:

We expect additional details and comments soon. If you have some interesting reversals to add please share in this thread.

Check out the tags for the thread for additional information.

Last edited:
•••
I spoke to icann today ,and basically they don't know whats going on with alpnames ,they will get back to me Ill tell you one thing I'm buying godaddy call options right now because they are the safest place to leave your domains ,I am starting to transfer all my domains instead of renewing at these other fly by night firms ,there has never been a default in a commodity contract in us history never when clearing houses failed the government stepped in and made good on those trades ,It seems that domain firms are just like a phony bucket shop that can just fail and you lose all your money,start moving your domains back to godaddy in my opinion,one of the domains at alp names that was deleted had a 3k past offer,it seems like I'm -ucked,All these so called sherpas should start to worry too ,because they got the most to lose here ,if people end up losing their domains these 3 million dollar sales are over,I will personally superfax every publically listed head of mis and let them know that domains are being delete from icann accredited registras and are being backordered by the thousands by new registrants,and icann and verisign are doing nothing about it

Last edited:
•••
•••
Finally! .CC will get the KING status it deserves!

•••
Actually, this just in....

.best to replace .com as king.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back