IT.COM

legal BOOKING.COM is now a registered US federal trademark

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The Dutch applicant of the BOOKING.COM mark booking did it. :)

The USPTO issued a certificate of registration for the mark yesterday (plain text inclusive of the TLD.)

This is a ground-breaking decision and we'll see how dozens of existing applications of similar generic domains will be treated in the months to come.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
They come to late
I think they don't know is a pandemic situation - lol
This type of TM is a long process & only few will get , with big money & must demonstrate the word ..ex: Apple ( the fruit ) it's synonym with the company that have same name/keyword ..so it's complicated + apply only for .com , ex : Booking.com not on Booking.info or Apple.biz etc..& at some point , probably something can't apply on generic keywords like lie , business etc..

•••
Dot - prior to the decision by SCOTUS in the summer, there was zero provision for the USPTO to even consider the registration of generic terms that once connected to a ".com" (or other TLD) become stand-alone brands that can be registered as a mark. So now, that wall has fallen, hence the existing and future applications for other generics.

•••
This is a distraction and advertising.

•••
Dot - prior to the decision by SCOTUS in the summer, there was zero provision for the USPTO to even consider the registration of generic terms that once connected to a ".com" (or other TLD) become stand-alone brands that can be registered as a mark. So now, that wall has fallen, hence the existing and future applications for other generics.

Can HomeBooking.com, RoomBooking.com, HotelBooking.com, CarBooking.com domains can register TM
or
will it have conflict of interest from Booking.com ??

Last edited:
•••
Can HomeBooking.com, RoomBooking.com, HotelBooking.com, CarBooking.com domains can register TM
or
will it have conflict of interest from Booking.com ??
Depend a lot of factors
If affect interest of Booking.com , if are also reg. as/have TM etc..it's a long process

Last edited:
•••
And yet my made-up word could not get approved.

•••
Now the will be a Dispute between

Domain King & Boo King 🤣

•••
•••
Very happy to have sold $60K worth of booking domains to them before this silly TM.

•••
•••
So in future, will the TM owner need to actually own the TLD to register the TM?

Or are we going to witness situations where anyone can register TM on someone else's existing domain?

•••
So in future, will the TM owner need to actually own the TLD to register the TM?

Or are we going to witness situations where anyone can register TM on someone else's existing domain?
I think that already happens. I'm sure that some companies have registered single letter .com trademarks in anticipation.... Y.com for yahoo. I'm sure that was a thing 😁

•••
I think that already happens. I'm sure that some companies have registered single letter .com trademarks in anticipation.... Y.com for yahoo. I'm sure that was a thing 😁

That application from 2005 was abandoned and it's a dead mark.

Under the new phase of what is acceptable as a descriptor of goods and services (that is also a generic domain) might receive a different verdict. It's all a matter of how the mark is being used, what classes are claimed, and whether the generic term has become a brand in the mind of the consumer (think Apple, with the TLD at the end.)

While there are lots of active applications currently, the backlog of the USPTO exceeds 3 months.

Last edited:
•••
Wanted to ask a related question.
Did any domainers had in their domaining business cases, where they were sued over domains they hold before or even after anyone would register the TM?
I feel somehow if the .COM version is not taken and available to hand reg/invent, it tells me no body cares of it.

•••
stay cool
this mark is only "BOOKING.COM", not valid for "Booking.net or any other booking names"

only my opinion

Last edited:
•••
stay cool
this mark is only "BOOKING.COM", not valid for "Booking.net or any other booking names"

only my opinion

i'm looking for lawful answer, not opinions

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back