IT.COM

news Big changes proposed for domain transfers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domnest

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Proposed reduction from 60 days lock to 30 actually makes more sense IMO.

•••
Proposed reduction from 60 days lock to 30 actually makes more sense IMO.
Can't agree more. I suggest shorten the transfer time to 12 hours and the locking time from 60 days to 7 days.
Benefit everyone!

Last edited:
•••
Can't agree more. I suggest shorten the transfer time to 12 hours and the locking time from 60 days to 7 days.
Benefit everyone!
I think I read that transfers will be completed within 24 hours, after approval from the owner of course.

•••
No sense in locking a new registered name for 60 days. What is the logic behind that ? It cant be stolen if it is new.

7-15 days on a new register, max.

Last edited:
•••
No sense in locking a new registered name for 60 days. What is the logic behind that ? It cant be stolen if it is new.

7-15 days on a new register, max.

nobody cares anymore cause everyone's sales are down

•••
At first glance it looks like they're going to overcomplicate things. Why fix what ain't broken?

Following...

•••
At first glance it looks like they're going to overcomplicate things. Why fix what ain't broken?

Following...
This looks like a request coming from big sales platforms such as Afternic.

But indeed, at least for me it makes sense. I would still keep the 30-day lock but not more or less than that.

•••
This looks like a request coming from big sales platforms such as Afternic.

But indeed, at least for me it makes sense. I would still keep the 30-day lock but not more or less than that.

Same here. They make it seem like the proposed changes address security concerns but I don't actually see the improvement.

Also a fan of the reduction of the lock period after a new registration. My only concern is how this will affect pricing. It may mean lesser promotions and smaller discounts.

You're not gonna offer a domain registration at loss when the registrant can move out pretty soon.

•••
Same here. They make it seem like the proposed changes address security concerns but I don't actually see the improvement.

Also a fan of the reduction of the lock period after a new registration. My only concern is how this will affect pricing. It may mean lesser promotions and smaller discounts.

You're not gonna offer a domain registration at loss when the registrant can move out pretty soon.
People are lazy and forgetting (not bashing anyone, that's human nature, i am too).

I bet many will forget or not feel the rush to move elsewhere after 30 days (and pay more right then).

Last edited:
•••
People are lazy and forgetting (not bashing anyone, that's human nature, i am too).

I bet many will forget or not feel the rush to move elsewhere after 30 days (and pay more right then).

Lol, I can relate to that. It could work as it does work on some ccTLDs where promos are deeply discounted without imposing transfer restrictions. These registries work differently for the registrar compared to gTLD registries so that may be a deal-breaker.

Dunno. We'll see.

•••
It would be good they make simple push of domains from one registrar to another, to make our life easier.

•••
It would be good they make simple push of domains from one registrar to another, to make our life easier.

I like the idea but what's basically a pain in the ass right now are registrars not taking full advantage of the options available to them.

A transfer by EPP takes literally seconds. The payment process takes up more of your time.

Most limitations are imposed upon the registrant by the registrar, not the registry or ICANN.

•••
Back