IT.COM

Best way to swap domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
There may be a simple answer to this, and it's probably TRUST :tu: but here goes:

If joe has abc.com and wants to swap with jill who has 123.com - what's the best way of doing it so neither get's ripped off?

I have tried to work out an answer to this using a variety of things such as online wallets, shared passwords, free escrows (is there such a thing) but it all boils down to the fact that someone has to make the first move.

If anyone can come up with a way to do this without risk, i'll be forever in your debt (well $25NP anyway!)

Cheers

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Use paper?

birdman5 said:
There may be a simple answer to this, and it's probably TRUST :tu: but here goes:

If joe has abc.com and wants to swap with jill who has 123.com - what's the best way of doing it so neither get's ripped off?

I have tried to work out an answer to this using a variety of things such as online wallets, shared passwords, free escrows (is there such a thing) but it all boils down to the fact that someone has to make the first move.

If anyone can come up with a way to do this without risk, i'll be forever in your debt (well $25NP anyway!)

Cheers

I haven't done this but . . .

If your registrar(s) allow the transfer of registration using good ol' fashioned "paper-with-notarized-signature-of- current-registrant" transfer authorization form, find an escrow service to perform the physical exchange (either in person or by courier) of the forms, after BOTH forms have been received by the escrow agent.

Then each party submits the completed form to the appropriate registrar. If the domain names are currently registered with different registrars, it may require that one or both parties (depending on the policies of the registrars) open an account with the appropriate registrar so that one or both of the transfers is INTRA-registrar.

[On second thought: My suggestion doesn't prevent bad-faith action by either party between exchange of paper and required registrar(s) actions. . . never mind.]

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back