Dynadot

gTLD Berkens need 15 min to go from $16k to $60k! Wow...

NameSilo
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
why didn't Richard just buy the domain himself??? he was there!!

The so called big boys just pumping it up ... to create the buzzzzz

•••
•••
just to create publicity on these gtlds ..these guys should know better

•••
Come on. Pay attention folks. What you can learn from the "big boys" is a lot if you're not just being snarky. ;)

Unless I'm the one missing something --- but Berkens sold BOTH .photo and .photos, together, as a pair. Sure, Lau could have only bought one at the auction if he had been thinking it was worth while to own just one... and he likely didn't know about the other. Can anyone tell what the other bids and who the bidders were before $16k? Perhaps Richard valued the name alone at $15k...

But then, as happens in the game Monopoly ... Selling a set of properties can be greater than the individual.

Stock.Photo + Stock.Photos = more control of the brand and less traffic bleed.

I mean which is actually better???
It could be easily argued Richard paid the premium for Stock.Photos ... not Stock.Photo.
If Stock.Photo is worth $16k, then it leaves $44k left for Stock.Photos --- but I suggest that owning both makes them both worth MORE.

•••
Lau was bidding from his room, internet connection got disconnected and he came running into the auction room to see if it sold and who bought it. Frank told the story at the domain sherpa live session yesterday how it all unfolded in front of him, it was hilarious. Cyger will publish it soon I'm sure for you to hear.

FX you're a smart guy. I think you should go to a trade show before you start accusing people of trying to manipulate the market.

•••
Lau was bidding from his room, internet connection got disconnected and he came running into the auction room to see if it sold and who bought it. Frank told the story at the domain sherpa live session yesterday how it all unfolded in front of him, it was hilarious. Cyger will publish it soon I'm sure for you to hear.

FX you're a smart guy. I think you should go to a trade show before you start accusing people of trying to manipulate the market.

Hold up, Richard Lau the man who organised Namescon is in his hotel room bidding?

Why wasn't he on the auction floor if he wanted that name so badly which would make him pay 60k.

What would have been more legit is if Berkens had sold it to a random buyer as opposed to Richard...

•••
Hold up, Richard Lau the man who organised Namescon is in his hotel room bidding?

Why wasn't he on the auction floor if he wanted that name so badly which would make him pay 60k.

What would have been more legit is if Berkens had sold it to a random buyer as opposed to Richard...

Doh. He did not pay $60k for one name.
Please read before commenting.

•••

+1

FX you're a smart guy. I think you should go to a trade show .

I have!

This sale just looked wrong to me

•••

Yeah I know it was for 2 names. But the question is why if this name was so important was he in his hotel room bidding??? Makes no sense and then having to pay an extra $15k for one name totalling to $60k for both names??

•••
Yeah I know it was for 2 names. But the question is why if this name was so important was he in his hotel room bidding??? Makes no sense and then having to pay an extra $15k for one name totalling to $60k for both names??

I explained above why I think the two names together are worth more than each name alone. I won't rehash that, just look up.

As for why he was in his room, I can think of at least a few reasons -- setting up a marketing tweet to make names look more expensive is certainly not one of them that readily comes to mind. >>> I won't share where I'm writing from right now or why -- but if you hear swishing water in the background, just know I didn't have a choice. ;)

•••
Lau was bidding from his room, internet connection got disconnected and he came running into the auction room to see if it sold

He should've come running in like charlton heston!! because the whole setup was something from the planet of the apes!

•••
the point is the stock photo market is a huuge business, some are missing it

•••
the point is the stock photo market is a huuge business, some are missing it

Can someone answer this question? Why would Berkens need Frank to broker this deal? When he brokered a huge deal with Godaddy and didn't need Frank's brokering skills? As Frank is a huge proponent of Gtld's its just too much of a coincidence for it to make sense...

Last edited:
•••
lol, it was a probability of an investment opportunity, and maybe other people may find this interesting ,so it was like now or never ;) ideas comes in in different situations and with different triggers.

•••
He should've come running in like charlton heston!! because the whole setup was something from the planet of the apes!
lol

•••
Namescon???

More like it was a

Names CON

;)

•••
But the question is why if this name was so important was he in his hotel room bidding??? Makes no sense and then having to pay an extra $15k for one name totalling to $60k for both names??
Well why don't you organize and run a convention with over 1200 attendees, handle all the issues and conflicts that constantly arise (and there are 'many'), and see if you have time to be everywhere at the same time. (maybe he had to use the bathroom) It was obvious that it was important enough to him to pay the extra money, because from what I heard there, he already has an interested party for the names, and at a profit. But it is always nice to hear from the armchair quarterback domainers, that sit at home and don't attend shows, but have no problem criticizing, critiquing and 'making up scenarios' of what they know nothing about; but 'know' what, how or why, of how things 'should have been done or handled'! :rolleyes: Good grief..

•••
the-true-origin-of-the-tin-foil-hat-and-why-its-the-stupidest-thing-to-wear-if-youre-paranoid-about-the-government.jpg

Hawkeye, maybe they were too busy organizing TinFoil-CON

•••
big boys just pumping it up

Come on, FX.

It's not like anyone has a significant investment in these nTLDs.

;)

•••
Who goes to Namecon, and then sits in his room to bid. Doesn't make sense to me.

•••
The sale includes stock.photos too, so how much stock.photos worth?

•••
It's a publicity stunt and it is very common in... MB sold most of his portfolio to GD but not nGTLDs...

They did a deal and created hype before the other nTLDs auctions nothing surprising really to create market hype to increase interest with upcoming auctions...

•••
Not a publicity stunt.. I was standing there when it happened. It really wasn't that big of a deal. Richard went to his room so everyone at the conference wouldn't see him bidding with a paddle. However, Richard's wifi cut out and he took the elevator back down and came running into the live auction, but he was too late, auction ended. So he made an impulse offer(not on stage... just personally between Mike and Frank was there too)

This was not a conspiracy or publicity stunt, it was simply a millionaire who bought something he wanted. 60k is a small slice of Richards wealth. If this was Richard's last 60K then it would be a big deal.

Edit: This 'story' didn't even start to spread until the next few days(after the live auction was over) No hype or buzz, just rumors and chatter

Last edited:
•••
"Doh" you had made me giggle :)
Tell them I own Mostwanted.photo $ Mostwanted.photos
Both are for sale! Make me an offer!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back