IT.COM

discuss Average time to sale domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ddesigns

24Designs.in - Web Development and more...Top Member
Impact
What is the average time to sale a domain, specially the one you handreg or drop reg?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Average time 1-2 years ( imo )

•••
There is no average time. Could be a week a month a year or never.

That said, if there is interest they are sometimes waiting to see if you drop it in one year or not. Domainers are obviously waiting for drops too.

•••
Depends on how long you keep it, and how you take the average. minimum for me: 2 days, maximum: infinite (more than a decade and still not selling).

•••
What is the average time to sale a domain, specially the one you handreg or drop reg?
There is no average time to Sell a "Particular" domain in isolation.

But you can fairly accurately project How many domains out of 100 domains of a particular sets of Traits will sell in a year at a particular price point.

Out of around 70 names that I sold last year, I think except for 5 names or so, all were either drop regged or caught during the last 12 months or less

Regarding those who are watching, I sold a name within a couple hours of regging it, that too via Sedo MLS. It was Crazy.

And sometime I win names cheap due to sheer luck and grinding daily. I had a $3000 offer on a name that I won for $500 immediately after I won lol

The first one was an enduser. Second was an investor. But these are outliers.

•••
If you want to make end users sales, many many years.

The truth is most domains will never sell for end user prices though. The vast majority of registered domains are not going to sell on any time scale.

If you are willing to take lower prices on moderate flips to other domain investors, obviously you can make sales much faster.

It really depends the quality of registrations and business model (passive vs active) in how fast you sell them.

The options are generally slow and higher returns or faster and much lower returns.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I wonder if any serious domainers have a network of other serious domainers and only acquire with the intention of selling to them? In that case I would think you could flip and shift valuable domain names rather quickly.

Last edited:
•••
•••
One of those "depends" situations. You could own a domain that is considered "super premium", and not sell for years, purely because your number isn't met...then you drop the price by a fat margin, and sell it within a month. Alternatively, you could own a domain that is considered "reasonable quality", and not sell because again you've out priced (even if that price is deserved, according to you), or people simply don't want it, and the latter of this situation is just unfortunate. Its also important to be realistic on that quality, than holding something speculative / borderline

If time is your focus, a lesser price will increase your odds of sale...resulting in it happening "faster". IMO

Last edited:
•••
•••
From my point of view, that depends on the quality of the name.

•••
From my point of view, that depends on the quality of the name.
Quality and price, often...yes

If you had "guitar dot com", and your asking price was $50k...it will go like a click of the fingers, because that is an undeserved / outrageous price, for a domain of that quality. You can always sell a high quality domain, if you are prepared to sell at a low enough price (in this case, an obvious steal. Not that its likely...just a point)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back