IT.COM

Average Portfolio Size?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CoolBn

Upgraded Member
Impact
I'm new to this, and I'm just curious to see how large the average domainer's portfolio is...I currently have 344. Just interested to see where I fall in the pack...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Bout 30 I think and I can't keep track of that many so I don't know how people keep track of thousands.

•••
I'm at 377 today. I'm looking to grow (without sacrificing quality for quantity) and not scale back.

I dont plan on limiting my #. I just want to make sure that my sales are supporting my portfolio while increasing profits. I project 2000 will be the critical mass number of domains for me without it being too time consuming to manage as I have a full time career.

364 .com
4 .orgs
4 .nets
2 .us
2. info
1. co.uk

I'm really not planning on dropping much from my portfolio as I have already weeded out the names I didn't feel were worth keeping and I feel like I am not buying crap.

•••
Yes, quality is a factor...none of my domains are crappy, random selections...the majority of mine are brandables. I was trying to get an idea of how much the average person invests in starting and maintaining their portfolios, and to figure out if there is a number at which having too many can hurt your chances of being profitable. Not hosting a pissing contest here...just seeking out best practices and analyzing beginners vs. seasoned domainers...

Well in the start most newbie domainers invest heavily without learning and observing things about domain investing. The result is that most of the time they end up buying crappy domains.

You can come up with a reasonable size of domain portfolio because only you can tell how many domains you can have, you can sell, you can renew.

The cost of running this business (when it comes to renewing hundreds of domains) is not what most domainers are happy with, lol. But I am sure if you are good with sales, you won't mind re-investing couple of hundred bucks.

•••
I've read that the average portfolio size is 5.5 inches. Or maybe it wasn't portfolio, but another word that started with 'p'?

Why do I get the feeling that this is your mantra?

Anyways, I'm at about 240 names right now.

•••
Interesting...when you're dumping domains, do you release them into the wild (meaning just not renew), use a broker, auction etc?

If I have time, I try to sell these domains for reg fee (or a little bit more).

•••
As newbie I currently stand on 185 domains.
And planing to drop/sell about 50.

•••
I've read that the average portfolio size is 5.5 inches. Or maybe it wasn't portfolio, but another word that started with 'p'?
Epic ..

I think it should be ranked with quality first. The number of domains does not matter at all while quality does. Personally I think, 100 domains portfolio is O.K.

•••

I consider myself a very slow long term investor.
It's takes months for me to add a domain name to my portfolio.

•••
I have around 1000 names at present. most of the domains I have are liquid in nature except about 200 keyword .com's,, about 100 unpopular extensions and some scrap (one word .us and Ngtld's)

•••
I have 20-30 in my portfolio. I find this to be manageable as I work full time as well. If domaining was my FT job I would definitely be looking to have a lot lot more.

Last edited:
•••
None of your domains are crappy random selections? You're a beginner dealing in the brandable market. You may not see it now but I can promise you that there are crappy random selections in your portfolio that you just don't know about yet. Re-visit this post in a year and see how many of those names you still think are gems. We have all been there.
I'd like to add to this that quality, especially when you're talking about brandables, is an opinion. Occasionally one domainer's trash is another one's treasure. But generally, one domainer's trash is another domainer's trash.

•••
•••
Just a bit over 200 at the moment. I was trying to get under 100, but had a change of heart on new gtlds, so I registered around 100 of those in the last 6 months plus some purchases on tdnam I could not pass up.

•••
Hello!

Right now I have 175 (96 .com and the rest in 16 different extensions).

It seems my strategy is similar to @vd90 's. I try to sell domains for low prices and I have not yet payed for any renewal.

I started “domaining” in July 2014 (some of the domains registered back then and even now don’t measure up to the real word “domaining”, but anyway…). I have a fulltime job so this would be a part-time occupation. I didn’t have much money to invest so my best option was hand registrations. And so it has been since then. All my domains have been hand registered (and it shows!!! :))

For the past year and 2/3 months I’ve sold 78 out of my total 253 registered domains.

The average cost price of my domains is around $5,52 and my averaged sale price is around $18,70 (some have been sold with a loss, to prevent costs from increasing because of renewals). This means, so far, my average ROI is 239%, which I think is quite good for a part-time amateur not english native “domainer” wannabe. ;)

A few months ago I broke even. That is, I made a (small) profit, above my total registrations costs. For now, I have around 20 domains that I’m not eager to sell very quickly because I think these may be worth something better in the future. As for the others, my goal is to sell them before they turn 1 year old!

I’m looking forward to see what happens next and I’m willing to keep learning from all you real domainers! Advices are welcome!! :)

Best regards!

•••
Hello!

It seems my strategy is similar to @vd90 's. I try to sell domains for low prices and I have not yet payed for any renewal.

I started “domaining” in July 2014 (some of the domains registered back then and even now don’t measure up to the real word “domaining”, but anyway…). I have a fulltime job so this would be a part-time occupation. I didn’t have much money to invest so my best option was hand registrations. And so it has been since then. All my domains have been hand registered (and it shows!!! :))

For the past year and 2/3 months I’ve sold 78 out of my total 253 registered domains.

The average cost price of my domains is around $5,52 and my averaged sale price is around $18,70 (some have been sold with a loss, to prevent costs from increasing because of renewals). This means, so far, my average ROI is 239%, which I think is quite good for a part-time amateur not english native “domainer” wannabe. ;)

A few months ago I broke even. That is, I made a (small) profit, above my total registrations costs. For now, I have around 20 domains that I’m not eager to sell very quickly because I think these may be worth something better in the future. As for the others, my goal is to sell them before they turn 1 year old!

I’m looking forward to see what happens next and I’m willing to keep learning from all you real domainers! Advices are welcome!! :)

Best regards!

Did you sell 78 domains mainly to other domainers or did you make outbound sales to end users for many of them?

•••
Did you sell 78 domains mainly to other domainers or did you make outbound sales to end users for many of them?
Hello!

I'm not completely sure because most of my sales were made through auctions (Godaddy and Flippa). I figure that for the most part, other domainers or resellers have bought my domains. There was only one particular sale I made direct contact with an end user that I am aware of.

Best regards!

•••
Hello!

Best regards!
Thanks for the insight and good luck! :D

•••
•••

lol haha

•••
Hello,

I have about 850 domains, but I will not renew 300 of these in 2016. My strategy will be to have 500 domains + 50 in a "kill zone".

- If I sell a domain, I'll buy a new one to replace that name.
- If I buy a domain, the worst domain in the "kill zone" will be removed (read: not be renewed).

I am doing this to let my portfolio not grow too big (read: too costly) and to improve it, rather than just make it grow. My renewal costs this year will be about $20,000. In 2016, I will be closer to $10000, as I am dropping 50% of my names with +$40 renewals.
Interesting...when you're dumping domains, do you release them into the wild (meaning just not renew), use a broker, auction etc?

•••
•••
Anyone know of any independent (from a registrar) portfolio management tools and/or programs to track profit and loss?

•••
Anyone know of any independent (from a registrar) portfolio management tools and/or programs to track profit and loss?

There are many tools and websites to help you manage your domains. I think if you use a tool from a registrar, then it is anything but independent. But independent or not, I don't think it matters. Just get a tool you like regardless of where it comes from. For me I use an Excel spreadsheet that has evolved to do all the things I want and I have not seen a commercial tool that does. Excel can do some amazing things with domains management if you know how.

Oh and 6.75 and about 800.

•••
Why do I get the feeling that this is your mantra?

Anyways, I'm at about 240 names right now.

I don't know,why do you get that feeling? Do you know what a mantra is?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back