Dynadot

auctions Auction question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

inahaze76

Established Member
Impact
I have several domains I've recently put up on 90 day auction on godaddy. Two of those domains I paid the $19.98 upgrade to have them shown on the featured listings. It's been several days to a couple weeks since I listed these domains, but no offers or bids. Is this cause for concern? Do buyers usually wait till later if not near the end of auction? Was it a waste of time to upgrade those two domains? I'm sure that quality of the domain name is the biggest factor in getting bids or sales, of course, but do even good domains sometimes take a while before bids or offers start coming in?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have several domains I've recently put up on 90 day auction on godaddy. Two of those domains I paid the $19.98 upgrade to have them shown on the featured listings. It's been several days to a couple weeks since I listed these domains, but no offers or bids. Is this cause for concern? Do buyers usually wait till later if not near the end of auction? Was it a waste of time to upgrade those two domains?
We'll see what the wisdom of the tribe here is, but I truly never found the featured listings helpful.
And no, there was no evidence of traffic increase or any views for that matter, even toward the end. And those were for domains that were given very high valuations by Godaddy. I tried intermittently over years to do listings and even lower the prices significantly. Adding featured listings made no impact, just added frustration.
Maybe things have changed since over a year ago. Since that time, I never bothered with GD auctions, and have avoided using featured listings with any other service. Again, though, maybe some other folks have had more success with this, on GD or a different marketplace.

Last edited:
•••
We'll see what the wisdom of the tribe here is, but I truly never found the featured listings helpful.
And no, there was no evidence of traffic increase or any views for that matter, even toward the end. And those were for domains that were given very high valuations by Godaddy. I tried intermittently over years to do listings and even lower the prices significantly. Adding featured listings made no impact, just added frustration.
Maybe things have changed since over a year ago. Since that time, I never bothered with GD auctions, and have avoided using featured listings with any other service.
[/Q

•••
What method or strategy has been successful for you ever since you quit using godaddy auctions?

•••
What method or strategy has been successful for you ever since you quit using godaddy auctions?
Surprisingly, Sedo and Afternic both led to sales after listing within several months. Compared to GD auctions trials over years, that was a remarkable improvement. And I will always be grateful to Namepros for the information here that steered me to those marketplaces.

Now, Sedo is touting some significant improvements in their landers. At this point, I'm revisiting using more of their landers, while continuing to use Afternic Fast transfer for general listings. Outbounding, though, I'm learning, appears important when you have niche domains. That's the newest strategy I've adopted this month, and at least increases traffic to the domains.

But there are many on this forum that have much larger portfolios and many years of experience buying and selling domains. Keep browsing their comments in the threads, and you will learn much more from them.

•••
Thanks for the valuable information.

•••
Now, Sedo is touting some significant improvements in their landers. At this point, I'm revisiting using more of their landers, while continuing to use Afternic Fast transfer for general listings. Outbounding, though, I'm learning, appears important when you have niche domains. That's the newest strategy I've adopted this month, and at least increases traffic to the domains.
Interestingly, after starting to do the outbounding this month, I finally did have another decent sale through Afternic FT of a niche domain. Despite having the Sedo landers, it seems that Afternic still may be the most powerful and effective platform.
We'll see how things progress, but my impression is that doing at least some outbounding, combined with Sedo or Afternic FT, may prove to be the most effective combo.

Last edited:
•••
Interestingly, after starting to do the outbounding this month, I finally did have another decent sale through Afternic FT of a niche domain. Despite having the Sedo landers, it seems that Afternic still may be the most powerful and effective platform.
We'll see how things progress, but my impression is that doing at least some outbounding, combined with Sedo or Afternic FT, may prove to be the most effective combo.
What does FT mean? I have my best domains not on auction but with Afternic landers with BIN and I'll be trying to do outbound on those domains this week. Congratulations on your sale.

•••
What does FT mean? I have my best domains not on auction but with Afternic landers with BIN and I'll be trying to do outbound on those domains this week. Congratulations on your sale.
I think FT means fast transfer?

•••
I think FT means fast transfer?
Yes, Fast Transfer. Fast Transfer is preferable for many reasons, including Afternic generally not having to worry about getting in touch with the seller for the sale to be completed.
Interestingly, this sale was part of a trial of simply having only a BIN price across the board. The minimum price was the reserve and BIN. My interest was really only selling at that BIN.
This may not be the best approach. They contacted me by email, stating they did have a buyer who wanted to buy at a much lower price originally, but they had negotiated for one closer to asking price. In exchange for fast payment, I was willing to compromise and accept that.
Fortunately, they did act quickly to complete the negotiation, because I strongly preferred to sell it at an even higher price. In retrospect, if I had given the spread of the minimum, reserve, and BIN, they could have done this all without the email.
For me, Afternic now has produced 3x more sales than Sedo. I am very grateful for their services. The new Sedo landers may not be as effective as I had hoped, but I'll try a bit longer to see if there is any improvement there.

•••
Back