IT.COM

auctions Auction Query

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

iDat

Established Member
Impact
Hello, domain is with Namecheap and under 60 days lock. Can I list on GoDaddy auctions? If it gets sold, how will the buyer receive? If the buyer wants the domain in his GoDaddy account, then will GoDaddy hold my payment until 60 days is over?

Please help.

@Joe Styler @Paul Nicks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Pretty sure you have to wait the 60 days to transfer to GD.

•••
Pretty sure you have to wait the 60 days to transfer to GD.
So I believe payment will also be on hold?

I heard if you ask your buyers to create account at the domain registrar for push, that is suspicious with GoDaddy? And this violates GoDaddy's Tos?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Most likely what's gonna happen is that GoDaddy has their account at NameCheap (marketplaces always have accounts with different registrars precisely for these situations). So, when a sale happens, GD will ask you to push the name to their account and pay you your money right away, once you do this. And then it's between GD and a customer. Normally for customers it's never ever a problem to register the account with whatever registrar - it's free and takes a few min, but name is theirs immediately.
Disclaimer: I haven't been selling with GD Auctions specifically, but this is how normally marketplaces act upon 60-day locked names sales.

•••
I answered his PM. Basically it is not a good idea to offer a domain you cannot move to the buyer.

•••
I answered his PM. Basically it is not a good idea to offer a domain you cannot move to the buyer.
At how many registrars does Afternic currently have an escrow account?

Last edited:
•••
At how many registrars does Afternic currently have an escrow account?
None. For the regulators out there.

Holding accounts though we have one probably everywhere. However the buyers can buy at over 100 different places. So if a buyer buys at Example Registrar and the domain is at Registrar X, even if we have a holding account at Registrar it makes no difference. A lot of times we cannot contact the buyer at Example Registrar and say oh this domain is at Registrar X. Never heard of it? Oh thats because its a competitor Registrar to Example Registrar. I bet you would love their service why dont we transfer the domain you bought from our partner on Example Registrar to Registrar X and you can take ownership of it there.

There's about 100 ways that can go bad. So we don't do it in most cases. We do ask the buyer if they are willing to wait 60 days for a domain they paid for and thought they were getting today. That also doesnt always go well. The terms of service say you are not supposed to list a domain for sale you cannot move to the buyer. The 60 day lock counts as not being able to move that domain. The buyer doesnt have to accept the 60 day wait. They can ask for a refund because you broke the terms by listing a domain you cannot move. We will always try and save the sale but it is not the best experience for anyone.

•••
The terms of service say you are not supposed to list a domain for sale you cannot move to the buyer. The 60 day lock counts as not being able to move that domain.
Thanks. Afternic accepts, and immidiately propagates freshly registered .com's with BIN to all of its premium partners. If I'm reading you carefully, all those listings are a breach of TOS? Why does Afternic propagate those domains to the registrar partners during the 60d lock period?

Last edited:
•••
Afternic accepts is the key thing there. The terms put the onus on the seller to be able to deliver the domain not us to check if you can.

The terms are big and there are a couple places that seem to speak directly to this. I am not a lawyer and I cant interpret legal terms for you without getting myself in trouble but this part seems to me to be the clearest in regards to your question, quoted below:

Seller makes the following representations and warranties to Afternic:
  1. Seller represents and warrants that it is in fact the legal registrant and owner of each of its Listed Names, each free and clear of any encumbrances, liens of any nature, including third party intellectual property claims or registration fees due the Transferring Registrar (other than those created by the applicable registration agreement) ("Liens");
  2. Seller hereby authorizes and legally empowers Afternic to offer each Listed Name for sale via Fast Transfer, and upon completion of the sale, seller shall pass good and marketable title to buyer free and clear of any Liens;
  3. each Sold Domain shall be immediately transferable from the Transferring Registrar, without restriction; and
  4. Seller has no actual knowledge that any Listed Domain is the subject of an intellectual property claim of any third party.
I bolded the subsection 3. You as the seller warrant to us that you can immediately transfer the domain without restriction.

There are probably ways we could check and assume a lock on a domain but our assumption wouldnt always be right. Part of listing a domain for sale on our platform, or any platform I can think of is the ability to give the domain to the buyer now, not in a couple months.

As I said above we will try and save the sale because it is in everyone's best interest, the buyer, the seller, us. But really it is a bad experience and goes against the stated terms.

Last edited:
•••
@Joe Styler how come Afternic never offers push transfer , I mean Auth transfer isn't the only transfer method ,even with 60 days lock push transfer can still save the transaction

•••
Could it? No not every time. I won't say it is never offered but it is rare and comes with its own set of problems which is why it is not often used.

If I buy the domain at abc.com registrar and you own the abc.com registrar and your company is an Afternic Partner and agree to sell the domain names coming from Afternic on your company's website as part of the network and you give up real estate on your company's website to showcase this Afternic listing I placed for sale, how would you feel if:
Instead of Afternic giving the domain to your customer at your company abc.com a service agent from Afternic contacted me and said, Hey, we know you use abc.com but there is this other company over here, xyz.com and they also sell domains and that is where the domain you bought is located. So we are going to have you create an account at this other company and then give you the domain there. And boy am I happy because I never heard of xyz.com before but they have better pricing or a control panel I like better, or I just got my first domain to start a business and now i buy all the extras like email and hosting at xyz.com instead of abc.com your company?

I know how you'll feel. You'll be mad and think what are they doing taking my customers away after I made the sale for them?

On the other hand the service agent may call me and say try xyz.com because you can get the domain 60 days faster there. I may not like that. I may start thinking this is a scam, I never heard of Afternic or xyz.com I bought my domain at abc.com. Or about a dozen other negative scenarios I can think of off the top of my head. Heck I may not even answer your email or phone call at all because I expected when I bought the domain I wanted to just get it not learn all about how 60 day locks and transfers work.

So really the best situation is to list domains on the network that can be transferred.

•••
So really the best situation is to list domains on the network that can be transferred.
Indeed. Thank you Joe. This opens the following issue. I acquired some-good-domain .com on lets say dropcatch on 09/01. As such, after 60 days, on 11/01, it would be ready for transfer-in to my preferred registrar (in particular, where afternic fast transfer is available). I will then transfer it to one of such registrars. I use different registrars just not to put all eggs in one basket. Should I transfer it to GoDaddy, I will then need to wait 60 days more before listing it on Afternic (with fast transfer), since GoDaddy elected to enforce 60 days no-transfer policy for recently transferred domains. Should I transfer it to _another registrar_, then I will be able to list it on Afternic immediately, since most of other registrars would allow it to be transferred away anytime if I so wish (if it is sold for example). A question - can GoDaddy change the existing 60 days no-transfer policy for recently transferred domains either globally or at least for afternic sellers? For the sake of clarity, verisign locks new registrations for 60 days, no questions, but new transfer-ins do not have any registry locks and it is all in hands of the current registrar...

•••
We do not have any plans to stop the 60 day lock in the near future.

•••
So, i have a domain name which is under "pending sale" status. It is in 60 day lock. (20 days remaining). And if that sells, Afternic will suspend my account ? I didn't get any warning before listing this domain name. Why did Afternic allow this domain to be listed before 60 days have passed. Now i don't care about the sale but i am only worried about my Afternic account. How big trouble it is going to be for me if you will just suspend my account because i can't immediately transfer and buyer can't wait for 20 more days ? What do i do know ? @Joe Styler
None. For the regulators out there.

Holding accounts though we have one probably everywhere. However the buyers can buy at over 100 different places. So if a buyer buys at Example Registrar and the domain is at Registrar X, even if we have a holding account at Registrar it makes no difference. A lot of times we cannot contact the buyer at Example Registrar and say oh this domain is at Registrar X. Never heard of it? Oh thats because its a competitor Registrar to Example Registrar. I bet you would love their service why dont we transfer the domain you bought from our partner on Example Registrar to Registrar X and you can take ownership of it there.

There's about 100 ways that can go bad. So we don't do it in most cases. We do ask the buyer if they are willing to wait 60 days for a domain they paid for and thought they were getting today. That also doesnt always go well. The terms of service say you are not supposed to list a domain for sale you cannot move to the buyer. The 60 day lock counts as not being able to move that domain. The buyer doesnt have to accept the 60 day wait. They can ask for a refund because you broke the terms by listing a domain you cannot move. We will always try and save the sale but it is not the best experience for anyone.

•••
Back