IT.COM

At present phpbb.com is offline ..

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
:o

Last updated: 7th February 2005, 15:50 GMT

At present www.phpbb.com is offline due to a group of politically motivated hackers wishing to use an opensource project to push their agenda ... shame on them.

www.phpbb.com <--- Read more - Sorry to see people use their "Talents" to mess with other's Hard work .......

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
wont load for me:(

that's a shame. though, i trust the boys at and affiliatted with phpbb have much more resources in punishing these twits.

bloodshed is always a viable alternative. these days, its the only truth morons understand.

•••
wow...

I wonder, what were the other sites that were affected..

•••
yah I saw that yesterday.... but hackers made linux you know?

•••
Looks like it wasn't a phpBB security issue that caused the problem this time:

We have some possible further details of the events which led to the loss of www.phpbb.com. Though I have not spoken with them myself I have learnt through an intermediary the group that appears to have attacked phpbb.com did indeed use a vulnerability in awstats to gain entry to our server (note the singular use of server there, we don't own a server cluster, just a server).

•••
•••
majinbuu1023 said:
yah I saw that yesterday.... but hackers made linux you know?

linus torvildt (something like that) was a phone phreak was he not?

What you have to understand tho is that hacking then is not what is perceived to be hacking now.

When someone says hacker now they think of comeone that maliciously breaks onto pc's, defaces websites etc whereas the term then denoted someone who hacked into software ussually with the aim to see how it worked or to change certain features.

•••
what am i gunna do if i want to start a phpbb froum or want some cool hacks/mods?
are they gunna be up anytime soon?

•••
Oh, it was that awstats thing. I was wondering. Anyone know what 'political motivation' the hackers had to mess with the site?

•••
Anthony said:
I was wondering. Anyone know what 'political motivation' the hackers had to mess with the site?

not quite sure...but read somewhere that they placed a bush pic
a spoof pic...where bush is acting like a monkey....
:tri:

•••
I read that the spoof picture was GB riding on the back of a monkey.

The peoploe who did it call themselves Simiens Crew but google doesnt come up with much results.

•••
Sorry to hear that happen.. I guess hackers just have nothing to do these days..

•••
filth said:
linus torvildt (something like that) was a phone phreak was he not?

1) Linus Torvalds.
2) No, he wasn't. He was actually just a computer freak who got into improving Minix. That then became his small Linux project, which gained momentum when he shared his works with others online.

•••
Mike_Wiseman said:
what am i gunna do if i want to start a phpbb froum or want some cool hacks/mods?
are they gunna be up anytime soon?

Just use http://area51.phpbb.com or http://www.phpbbhacks.com/ for the time being.

P.S. I saw the "hacked Page" almost as soon as it was put up, it has a Poem "For Better World" placed on it in Portuagenuse(sp)(Portural's language, lol) and Had Picture of GWB as a Monkey saying something like "Your hands are tied"

But 20 Mins later the site was down as it seem PhpBB was trying to keep some A$$ and take back what was rightfully theirs!

•••
Rasbelin said:
1) Linus Torvalds.
2) No, he wasn't. He was actually just a computer freak who got into improving Minix. That then became his small Linux project, which gained momentum when he shared his works with others online.

It was actually because he wanted to use Unix at home as he was impressed by it at work but it was too expensive so he started developing his own.

Also an interesting fact Linus didn't actually want it to be called Linux but it was named as such by the person who was responsible for distributing it at the time.

•••
That is a real shame but I saw that update for awstats in WHM today and I didnt know that they could hack a whole site by using that but apparently so.

•••
Yep, unfortunately there are now good and bad hackers. It's the ultimate irony though that these hackers end up attacking free services. I hope phpBB comes back as soon as they can for their own sake as well as everyone elses. It seems they are having a bit of trouble with their host right now.

•••
now check the new message on their site... its the 2nd week that this has been going on for....

•••
how is it possible to hack a site through stats? unless i missread it

•••
phpbb is getting a new server up because of some ddos problems at another site on there server... The server company allows IRC so that is the big problem...

The site is back up now on a new faster server so it is good.

Regards,

•••
Mike_Wiseman said:
how is it possible to hack a site through stats? unless i missread it

they use a security hole in the software which in turn allows them to either upload files to the server or execute commands which allowed them to do what they did.

•••
Or maybe they found out their cpanel password from the stats or something and they sabotaged the site.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back