Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

AskJeeves => ask

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

cache

VIP Member
Impact
132
AskJeeves.com is changed to Ask.com

It is not easy for me to change to Ask.com even though Ask.com is shorter and better. I always remeber AskJeeves because that is its brand name, Ask does not sound a brand.
 
1
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
This change was announced quite some time ago. Do you think that the change is going to liquidate askjeeves.com and aj.com

Probably not, but it is interesting to think about what those domains would go for.

-Steve
 
0
•••
wtf.. where did jeeves go?

I've been typing in www.ask.com all the time, but only noticed today that jeeves disappeared.

It says:
"Jeeves was the spokesperson for AskJeeves.com from 1996-2006. P.G. Wodehouse (1881-1975) was the creator of the literary character Jeeves (the archetypal "gentleman's gentleman") and his master Bertie Wooster."
 
0
•••
today is the day for the switch. Not just the domain name, they also dropped the jeeves name all together. I think it is ok to have a second domain name but it is a bad move to drop everthing.

edwinfelix said:
wtf.. where did jeeves go?

I've been typing in www.ask.com all the time, but only noticed today that jeeves disappeared.

It says:
"Jeeves was the spokesperson for AskJeeves.com from 1996-2006. P.G. Wodehouse (1881-1975) was the creator of the literary character Jeeves (the archetypal "gentleman's gentleman") and his master Bertie Wooster."
 
0
•••
From the about Page:
Ask.com About Page said:
After ten years of dutifully serving a growing population of internet users, Jeeves decided to step down as the face of AskJeeves.com, and retire in style. Jeeves symbolized a traditional, at-your-service butler which made people feel comfortable and at home with asking any type of question.

As the web became more of a real-time utility for people, Jeeves' job dramatically changed. Users came to Ask Jeeves for more sophisticated searches. Searches that were informational, navigational, and ultimately, transactional. Ask.com users wanted a search engine to help them search, get and do whatever they needed -- at a moment's notice.

This drove us to focus on improving our robust search engine technology and give users the Web's most useful set of tools, and gave Jeeves the opportunity to relax. Today, as Ask.com we are singularly focused on helping users find what they need through the complicated, exciting, ever-changing web. No matter what the search, Ask.com is committed to meeting the search challenge.

-Steve
 
0
•••
I don't quite get it. Is Jeeves a real person to answer your questions when you typed in your questions? (how is jeeves associated with non-real-time?)


stscac said:
From the about Page:


-Steve
 
0
•••
0
•••
this was done long time ago ... i know more than 2 months for sure because the last time i checked it was ask.com and i was surprised as well too
 
0
•••
I read an article on cnn.com today, I think it was a bad move on Ask's part, although they're the fourth most popular search engine right now they'll fade away like Excite and Lycos did, there's nothing unique about the new search engine. There is no brand image without Jeeves...
 
1
•••
still more people know "askjeeves" than "ask", dropping it would just de-accelerate the business.

Etab said:
I read an article on cnn.com today, I think it was a bad move on Ask's part, although they're the fourth most popular search engine right now they'll fade away like Excite and Lycos did, there's nothing unique about the new search engine. There is no brand image without Jeeves...
 
0
•••
Etab said:
I read an article on cnn.com today, I think it was a bad move on Ask's part, although they're the fourth most popular search engine right now they'll fade away like Excite and Lycos did, there's nothing unique about the new search engine. There is no brand image without Jeeves...
I don´t think that people will stop using the service just because they no longer use "Jeeves" in the name but I will agree that using "Jeeves" in the domain made a more original brand. However the new main domain is very easy to type in and remember so it might be a good move to get more visitors.
 
0
•••
Etab said:
I read an article on cnn.com today, I think it was a bad move on Ask's part, although they're the fourth most popular search engine right now they'll fade away like Excite and Lycos did, there's nothing unique about the new search engine. There is no brand image without Jeeves...

I agree totally. jeeves added a distinct personalisation. I quite liked seeing the old git step forward. Daft decision.
 
0
•••
It was sad to see jeeves go...
 
0
•••
AIVikingsAIVikings

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back