Dynadot

Asian keyboards and internet

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Wilfredo

Internet EntrepreneurEstablished Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
easier is pin yin :)
like this
ÄãºÃ

•••
There are special keyboards to accomodate Chinese and Japanese language sets.

•••
Yeah I would have to go Anthony on that response as well. :)

•••
No, you guys got it wrong.. Ha ha..

They use keyboards identical to the English ones we use. I lived in China for 7 months and can't remember ever seeing one that looked like the pic above.

Pin Yin is entered in using a normal English keyboard. When Chinese simplified language support is installed into Windows XP, you see a small button appear at the lower right side of the monitor. Then, when you click on it, you can select cn instead of en. When you start to type in a web page, you will see a popup box appear and you will notice that what you are typing is going into the popup box rather than the site form. Each time you enter a word in pinyin, you will see a drop down list of Chinese characters appear and you click on the character you want from that drop down list. Then the Chinese character will be inserted into the form. Chinese people can enter characters real fast because they have the order of the characters memorized in the drop down lists, and they type the number corresponding to the character rather than click on it.

It's a bit difficult to use when you don't understand the Chinese language. It would be better to just install Chinese language support in the browser and cut and paste chinese words from Chinese dictionary sites if you're trying to buy Chinese IDNs.

•••
and the real fast chinese typist use wubi (sp) instead of pin yin

•••
wubi? pin yin? What are these?

•••
Korean doesn't need conversion process unlike Chinese or Japanese. You can directly type Korean into word processors, forms, etc.. like English. So Koreans can type Korean very fast. Japanese use Chinese characters but Koreans don't use Chinese characters these days.

You can regard Hangul(Korean alphabet) as Lego. There are 28 consonants and vowels and they make more than 10,000 actual characters. One chracter consists of some consonants + some vowels. And one word consists of some characters.

Hangul is phonogram. So Korean can be read easily like English.

This is Korean keyboard: http://cbingoimage.naver.com/data/bingo_56/imgbingo_42/qkrsc1/31646/qkrsc1_68.gif (deleted Roman alphabet for easy identification of Hangul. Green keys are consonants and orange keys are vowels.)

Last edited:
•••
Just be grateful we speak and/or are English :) :D

;)

•••
Originally posted by RobSCM
Just be grateful we speak and/or are English :) :D

;)

Yeah, but what about native English-speakers who want to learn to speak and type Japanese or Chinese?

D-:

•••
Originally posted by Anthony
Yeah, but what about native English-speakers who want to learn to speak and type Japanese or Chinese?

D-:
ill just stick with beeing gratefull :laugh:

•••
Most internet users do not know English - but are forced to learn a bit of English to use it. Some of them just learnn it to help others who do not know English.

Don't worry - ICANN is very xenophobic to, they have not allowed any "other" languages for overs 15 years, not likely to give non-English speakers any break soon either.

I'll just keep on using these wierd keyboards till ICANN accepts other languages (none-English) and allows them to exist on the web - but I'm not holding my breath :)

•••
I have a keyboard that looks exactly like the one above when I was in HK around 10 years ago. I am not a good typer of chinese but my sister can type chinese quite quickly because she has taken several chinese typing lessons before.

•••
Originally posted by DotComster
Most internet users do not know English - but are forced to learn a bit of English to use it. Some of them just learnn it to help others who do not know English.

Don't worry - ICANN is very xenophobic to, they have not allowed any "other" languages for overs 15 years, not likely to give non-English speakers any break soon either.

I'll just keep on using these wierd keyboards till ICANN accepts other languages (none-English) and allows them to exist on the web - but I'm not holding my breath :)

Well, I sympathize with your situation, but don't most people learn English as a second language in a lot of the world?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back