IT.COM

Area Code Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Anyone see any potential for area codes preceded w/ "1" making up a 4NNNN name ie 1212, 1213, 1312 ? Of course not as good as the straight area code, but maybe a viable alternative, and better, than "1-" as in 1-212, IMO.

Thought that these might go well w/ .info and .biz tlds. Any thoughts on this and the usefulness of area code names in general?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This seems like a bad idea, since most Americans don't refer to area codes with the country code (+1). A lot of people seem to identify themselves by their area codes, but never with the '1', since they know what country they're all living in...

•••
i could take off, ideas are made and then people follow,
in the future when phones go digital and the internet is wideley used for calling which has been in the news lately the price will rise, by the way i think a few major companies have bought up all the four number coms, none left
Paul

•••
Well it might be worth it up to you maybe not 1-212 but like 1212 well i like the dash but me i never have any dashes in my domains!

Sounds like your on to something maybe zip codes next! But i think you might want to wait beacuse the copmany aren't gonna be making computer calling soon for widly used! I know it already exist tho i used it before it vere cool

calling for computer to phone!!

•••
Are you talking about voip technology? I've been thinking about trying that out, and I've heard alot of praise from users. I think that this might catch on faster than what we may think. For one thing, it is about 1/2 the price of land line servic3e and there's nothing like lower rates to inspire consumerism. Do you remember how alien the fax machine was to most phone users at first? But once it took off- bam!

Anyways, I don't understand the dynamics of voip enough to see how area codes could be useful there. I recently ran a 4 # search, and all . com's are gone as are most of the other tlds.
This seems like a bad idea, since most Americans don't refer to area codes with the country code (+1). A lot of people seem to identify themselves by their area codes, but never with the '1', since they know what country they're all living in...
Today 12:15 PM

The .us registry thinks enough of the "1" to have reserved all of the 1800 numbers as well as the 800's. Also, the "1" isn't just a country code, it is always used before dialing an area code outside of your own. Still don't see exactly how area codes can be useful, although my instincts tell me there is a use. For some reason, it seems to fit well w/ .biz for me relative to localized business.

•••
Seems like a risky longshot to me. If you only intend to do your local area,maybe it would work, but If you want to go larger, you'd surely find many already taken. Area codes have also been so screwed up over the last 15 years with some overlaying others, surrounding others etc, that they really don't always describe a fixed territory any more. There will likely be even more introduced and split off in the future as well.

Pure 4 number .coms are probably valuable to someone for something, but as you go down the heirarchy, you probably don't get much above reg fee in the short term. Some you might not get at all as in the .us extension many number domains are off limits for future purposes such as XXXXX, XXXXX-XXXX for zip codes, XXX-XXX-XXXX for phone numbers, under these rules:
Where can I see a list of reserved .US names?
See http://www.neustar.us/registrars/. In addition to the specific names contained in this reserved name file, the following categories of names are also reserved:

All numbers five digits and higher

All numbers in the format five digits-four digits (zip codes)

All telephone numbers including toll-free numbers

Tagged domain names—all labels with hyphens in the third and fourth character positions (e.g. "bq--kn2n4h4b")

If looking for some off-the-wall idea, I think dates, even with the dash might have some potential worth more than reg fee. For example, register 09-19-2004.info or .com and you are guaranteed that millions of people in the world will or have had birthdays or other events on that day. Just remember that non-US users would likely prefer 19-09-2004.info as the same date. Maybe you'll get lucky and some famous (or infamous) even will occur on that date making it your lucky domain.

•••
Always appreciate your comments, Adoptable.
While doing number searches the other day, I learned that the US registry also includes area codes w/ a "1" prefix (ie 1800, 1801 etc.) in w/ their list of reserved names.

I arrived at the "1area code" idea through the backdoor, so to speak, by going over lists of available 4 number names, looking for something that had a meaning attached. I limited myself to 5 of these and chose .biz, even where .us or .info were avail. As I thought about it more, I landed on the local business directory potential, and I think the .biz tld is (after .com), the best for this. Of course, the 3NN area code is better, but a couple of years from now. (when .biz gains more acceptence by local businesses and 3 and 4 letter name availablity becomes more obsolete), the potential buyer will not have to pay as much for the 4 number, and for a potential "1213.Biz- The Downtown Business Guide", the "1" will work just fine.

I agree that the overlay and proliferation of new ACs has diffused their impact for my projected usage idea. In the LA area where I lived until recently I had my original 213 replaced by 310 and on any given day, it was not uncommon to use 6 or more area codes where 20 years earlier, 2 would suffice. However, area codes have a hierarchy, not unlike tlds. The original downtown ac still carries some clout as do the economic demographics of the ac. Plus, I think one has to be selective. For instance I regd 1213 (original LA), 1310 (LA- wealthier West Side, including Beverly Hills), 1818 (The SanFernando Valley (pop. 2 million+ and growing), 1312 (Chicago Loop), and 1202 (Wash DC downtown). I was born in one, lived in 3 of the others, and have several family members that work in DC.

But, they are speculative at this point, I plan to hold onto for a few years, and I agree, there is no immediate whse value.

Last edited:
•••
harpo said:
i could take off

lol, I think it would be a good idear to play around with, espeshaly with some .info names seeing as they are free to reg at the moment and can fit the ext well.

QBert

•••
Why not go for the ones with that are more populated?

•••
Why not go for the ones with that are more populated?
I think that is the ticket, if the idea is viable to begin with.
NYC was already taken in all exts when I checked, so I went w/ LA, Chicago and DC. I'm sure that there are some other large metro areas still available to reg, for anyone who is interested. :)

•••
ekingz said:
.... maybe zip codes next!

You'd be surprised how many searches are already done Daily for Zip Codes ~

I'm not sure about the Area Codes though - But many sites out there have City type Portals built That show all relevant Info within ...

City
State
Zip
Area Code
Geographical Benchmarks etc ....

Happy Birthday - Grrilla !!!!!!!!! ~ You gonna let us all in on That Age ? - lol

•••
You gonna let us all in on That Age ? - lol

Left some ez clues at the Breakroom. Just hope that some of the bright teenagers around here don't start referring to me as "Gramps". :lol:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back