IT.COM

discuss Are you spending more time on cryptocurrency?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
I was chatting with a veteran domain investor on Tuesday who has become active in the cryptocurrency space. He posted something crypto-related on social media, and I messaged him to ask what it meant. Long story short, he essentially told me that domain investing was much more boring than cryptocurrency and the returns are better.

I follow the cryptocurrency space, although I am not all that knowledgable about it. I happen to agree with this person on both accounts right now. I have never found domain names all that exciting, although negotiating deals is fun and the money is great. If you look at any of the cryptocurrency charts, he is also right about the returns.

Source

Are you one of those who is now investing more time on crypto-currencies than domain names?
What percentage of your time has shifted from domain investing to crypto-currency?
Did you get better returns?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't call myself domainer, but I had invested some little amount of $$$ in btc back to 3 month when its was around $3k to $4k.

Now it's above $5K, if I try to sold (Even going to sell my 70% btc) I am still in win win situation.

That's all I can tell you.

•••
Yes cryptocurrency is giving much better returns in global market specially btc is paying an effective role in trades and making the market more glob.

•••
Got a few bitcoins. I might invest in it more again. I'm slowly moving away from domaining. :(

•••
Its also a time saving investment there is no need to invest more and more time. But domaining need more time investments.

•••
I don't call myself domainer, but I had invested some little amount of $$$ in btc back to 3 month when its was around $3k to $4k.

Now it's above $5K, if I try to sold (Even going to sell my 70% btc) I am still in win win situation.

That's all I can tell you.

Seems like you got into it at just the right time!!

Yes cryptocurrency is giving much better returns in global market specially btc is paying an effective role in trades and making the market more glob.

Absolutely. It is doing that. The altcoins are giving good returns too, if traded properly.

•••
Got a few bitcoins. I might invest in it more again. I'm slowly moving away from domaining. :(

I personally find it best to diversify risk. So, I distribute my investments between domain names and crypto currencies, and even in crypto-currencies, they are distributed between bitcoins and altcoins, which are later distributed into short term holds, mid term flips and long term investment coins.

Its also a time saving investment there is no need to invest more and more time. But domaining need more time investments.

Yes I agree. But so is the risk. Isn't it?

•••
I personally find it best to diversify risk. So, I distribute my investments between domain names and crypto currencies, and even in crypto-currencies, they are distributed between bitcoins and altcoins, which are later distributed into short term holds, mid term flips and long term investment coins.

I agree with the risk, I still have other investments in other areas besides crypto and domaining. I also don't try to put all my eggs in one basket. I feel bitcoin is more short and mid term, but with more people interested in it I feel it could def be a long term investment, but only time could tell.

•••
High risk high profit .
each investment have some kind of risk. Some have more risk some less. Now its our strategy how to minimize the risk.
If you are thinking domaining is risk free this is not fair.

•••
Will bitcoin once fall in price? How can bitcoin ensure a balance of money? I plan to put money in Bitcoin and began the study of bitcoins from this site - bitcoinbestbuy.com. Can someone advise me something like this?

•••
BTC will never fall guys. Its bulletproof invetsment. Keep investing. As long as there are suckers who keep adding money, I mean it can go on for years.

•••
BTC will never fall guys. Its bulletproof invetsment. Keep investing. As long as there are suckers who keep adding money, I mean it can go on for years.

I know that was sarcasm, but it literally can go on for years. For the few years I have been watching it there has been several crashes, but it has always recovered. I would not recommend anyone to invest in it with money they cannot afford to lose. The alt coins seem a better short term play at the moment.

At least with crypto you don't have renewal fees. Although you might lose all your money overnight.

Last edited:
•••
I know that was sarcasm, but it literally can go on for years. For the few years I have been watching it there has been several crashes, but it has always recovered. I would not recommend anyone to invest in it with money they cannot afford to lose. The alt coins seem a better short term play at the moment.

The winner will be the one, who holds the most of them, if they eventually crash to 0.

•••
I have been in crypto for a few years now. I work as a freelance developer and one of my clients is a cryptocurrency company. In my spare time I try to maintain a few small cryptorelated projects, like a few blockexplorers (http://btc.blockexplorer.nl, http://ltc.blockexplorer.nl).

I still have my domains though, and the sales are still enough to cover the costs of registration but I have become a bit pickier about new registrations or buys. I have never been a very active seller, so nothing has changed a lot there.

•••
We can't say it that bitcoin is bulletproof guys. There are many factors may be affect the bitcoin there is a %ge of risk involves. Factors like competitors also can affect.

•••
This thing also keep in mind that currency is currency and its rates today is different from past.currency rates change in every minute but the growth graph of bitcoin is very smooth and day by day going up this thing is a biggest motivator to invest in it.

•••
I'm spending more time in btc and altcoins these days. It offers far superior prospects to the comparatively dim domain name aftermarket such as superior liquidity, greater potential to pick a winner and even dividends (crypto dividends).

I've done well in domains but a just few choice domains here and there is the smart money approach. Domain collectors are doomed.

•••
Will bitcoin once fall in price? How can bitcoin ensure a balance of money? I plan to put money in Bitcoin and began the study of bitcoins from this site - bitcoinbestbuy.com. Can someone advise me something like this?

I am deep into crypto currency. To the extent that we started providing signals to a separate group of members we have on telegrams. As an intraday trader for more than 3 years, I think this was my calling(93.5% accuracy in my calls). Started with investing 2 BTC worth of money, dividing it into intraday, short term and long term investment. Also, subdividing them into Bitcoin investments and altcoins investments.

My portfolio is up 200% in a span of over 5 months. This seems to be easy money as of now with that kind of accuracy.
And this is after losing about 10% of the initial portfolio in trying out the pump and dump technique which was a havoc for us personally.

•••

At least with crypto you don't have renewal fees. Although you might lose all your money overnight.

I am a fan of altcoins. Although they need a lot of research and entering them at the right time, choosing the right one, having a STRICT stop loss and entering with targets in mind.
Several altcoins are paying over 50% in a matter of 2-3 days and there is good money to be made there.
How has your altcoin experience been so far?

I'm spending more time in btc and altcoins these days. It offers far superior prospects to the comparatively dim domain name aftermarket such as superior liquidity, greater potential to pick a winner and even dividends (crypto dividends).

I've done well in domains but a just few choice domains here and there is the smart money approach. Domain collectors are doomed.

I wouldn't say domain collectors are doomed. There was a time when 4L .coms and other such domain names were on their peak and they touched sky. People are still making good money out of them. The risk is comparatively less in domain industry.
Yes, I very much agree that crypto-currencies are offering good returns since the market is very hot.
Sometimes, instead of anticipating the future way beyond, as to what bitcoins will be priced 2 years from now, I simply try to cash in on what is going on at the moment and reap the maximum benefit out of it.

•••
I wouldn't say domain collectors are doomed. There was a time when 4L .coms and other such domain names were on their peak and they touched sky. People are still making good money out of them. The risk is comparatively less in domain industry.

The collecting mentality is driven by the desire to accumulate. The chances of being able to sell an average domain name to any end user is tiny. The chances of selling an amazing domain name to an end user for a high price is low. The likelihood of being able to buy a liquid domain name for enough under wholesale prices to make a profit after paying auction fees -- low.

There are very few sales on sedo relative to the millions for sale. I just look at the numbers to assess the risk and from where I'm standing, there is considerable risk.

The economics of domaining change considerably if you live in a part of the world where $10-$100 is good money and $1000 is a fortune.

Last edited:
•••
I get the crypto currency game, but what am I going to do buy 10 bitcoins for $55K, and sell them for maybe $60K? OR hope they don't go down to $40K, and lose $15K?

Buy one of hundreds of ICO's which are raising record $ which is most likely going to be spent on toys, and cars, and insider expenses, crash, and burn.

People keep trying to make this similarity to domains, and crypto but it is not the case.

•••
I get the crypto currency game, but what am I going to do buy 10 bitcoins for $55K, and sell them for maybe $60K? OR hope they don't go down to $40K, and lose $15K?

Buy one of hundreds of ICO's which are raising record $ which is most likely going to be spent on toys, and cars, and insider expenses, crash, and burn.

People keep trying to make this similarity to domains, and crypto but it is not the case.
Aha, strong hands needed for btc. Wake me up at $20k

•••
I have ways to complete a transaction without buying a silly token.
Been doing it for over 20 yrs without a hitch.

Seems to me that crypto is powerless, value wise, if it can't be converted into dollars. Quite ironic when the pitch is that crypto is better than "government money". Every pumper/ hypester out there talks about "dollars". Most people gambling with crypto are chasing dollars; not block chain, not privacy and certainly not principles.

•••
Hey weber crypto is a creative way of settledown online deals but we knew it the scope of dollar in the world I think everyone knows about what is dollar?
So Cryptos are also owned by humans or not self made.
Now the point is that dollar is globally accepted and that's why there is a need for Cryptos convert it accordingly dollar behave.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back