Dynadot

sales Are You Pricing Yourself Out of the Domain Market?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Haroon Basha

Service.xyzTop Member
Impact
Are You Pricing Yourself Out of the Market?
by @Keith DeBoer

"Arriving at the real value of a domain is like a blind man, in a dark room, looking for a black dog – that just might not be there…" -- Unknown

The most common mistake new domainers make is overvaluing their domains and listing them at ridiculous prices that no one will pay. After a while they feel frustrated and start asking: How much is my domain worth? The often heard answer to that question is: It’s worth what someone will pay for it. An answer that while completely accurate is simultaneously useless.

I think pricing is one of the most underrated variables in our industry. It can make or break our business model. Price too low and we risk leaving big money on the table. Price too high and we decrease the chance of a sale or possibly even price ourselves right out of the market.

I don’t have the magic solution to the pricing conundrum. But I can do what I usually do. Provide some sales data, give you my two cents and let you make up your own mind
1f642.png

Read more of this post
https://dngeek.com/2018/07/are-you-pricing-yourself-out-of-the-market/#more-7451

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Always this is why i hate profiles. It is better to have one name priced high that everyone is thinking about rather than them all seeing the whole profile priced high.
Rather than pricing domains same page at least make them click so they cannot see whole thing at a click names no prices.
if you have domain eg dogs.com and ilovedogs.com someone is paying say tens of thousands for iluvdogs you sure don't mention just yet you have the rest either.

Last edited:
•••
The industry (registrars, auction platforms, registries launching new extensions) promote domains as internet real estate and highly publicize (outlier) big dollar sales. However, the general public could care less about domains and tends to migrate toward free or reg fee options. Domains can be viewed as marketing or website development costs. Companies do spend big money marketing products and services via tv, print, radio, billboards, etc. Launching an ecommerce website can be an expensive endeavour. So why should the domain budget be $xx?

•••
As the saying goes, they are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. You could get lucky one day and hit the jackpot, but you're more likely to sell 10 domains for $1000 each than sell one for $10,000.

•••
note:

The most important thing - for New Domainers - reading this thread is!!! to get out of this thread is - dont read it just yet, it could cause a bit of confusion. There are too many experienced folks on and the newer folks may flip flop some of what is going on here.

New Domainers, you will not have to spend so much time worrying about sales price and product mix IF you worry only about what you are buying(for now). Hop off this thread and get back to the domain valuation areas - you will learn 100% more in 100% less time.

Trying to decipher experienced Domainer speak - when it's new to you, is easy to confuse and misread (not your fault, its hard to follow at first) and make decisions that may not be the best investment decisions.

Just my opinion - and not a knock on the thread, it's good and I'm reading allot of good advice(tks all) . Just realized some of the questions were not matching the flow of the conversation, for some.

Thanks all

•••
I probably do price myself out on 80% of my portfolio, mainly because i am not actively trying to sell those names. I am also willing to finance names for 12 months, that can justify some markup in price IMO.

I do use a BIN with a make offer on my pages, of course i get a lot more offers than BINs.

I don't feel i "WAY over price my names though, I feel i have the BIN at end user pricing for the most part, and end users are the minority in domain buying IMO/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back