IT.COM

discuss Are domain names becoming less valuable in the near future?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fayaz Ahmed

DomainRobin.comTop Member
Impact
Just thinking out loud:

👉 Interests in Social Media and advancements in Search Engine algorithms caused the decline in low & no content website traffic severely.

👉 gTLDs and possibility of an alternate decentralized domain naming system such as unstoppable domains (more likely a more open and non-profit future version of something similar) diluted the domain name industry even further.

👉 Popularity of smart phones and phone apps made many services available to mass people that were previously mainly served by websites. So the app market, on one hand facilitated the creation of new brands (hence more brandable tech domain names), but on the other hand, it contributed to the decline in web traffic. Besides, as we are reaching to an equilibrium point to the number of these new brands, eventually the smart phone app market are more likely to contribute to the further decline of interest in websites and hence domain names.

👉 And last but not the least, the recent advancements in Ai implementations like ChatGPT is threatning website traffic even with content.

So, are domain names as a whole becoming less valuable in the near future because of all these?

Surely ultra valuable domain names will most likely still remain valuable in the foreseable future. But what about the others?

To summarise, in the near future (say 5-10 years):
  • What sort of names will prevail?
  • What sort of names are most likely to fade away?
  • What's your thought on this overall concern?
Please also provide your reasoning behind those thoughts.

Note: I'm not asking this to spread negativity. Instead, please look at it as a discussion to better prepare for a probable foreseeable future.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The internet and addressing properties will never go away, no matter who you are on the planet the opportunity to have a global presence can happen for little to no money.

With 66% of the global population currently using the internet we have some upside.
Yes, I think it's ultimately about trends.

Just like GPT, AR/VR, NFT, meta etc. are short term trends, domain names are more like a bit longer term trend.

How long term? — kinds that were born the day the domain name system was introduced, will become 40 next January (the first .com was introduced on January 01, 1985).

So that's long enough to make good profit.

•••
Selling domain names to end users is selling dreams. The skill comes from realising which dreams are emerging, and persuading a user with enough capital to try tio fulfill his dreams. I can appreciate this, but unfortunately, I don't have the skills to maximise on my understanding.

•••
I think domaining will be dead until someone makes a really cheap affordable hosting company, which will make end users not run away from prices, that pushes them to use social media free groups and pages or apps.

I myself don't see huge soaring of my domains, must do quality over quantity, many domains are not worth renewing. The real juice is in palpable product and services, they do not really need domains for that.
So i m looking how to prevent such squatters from creating products/services based on my names without trademark each one.

•••
Promote domains around you. And they will be popular. Thousands of domainers. All this industry is 40/60 for domaining/for users.

•••
Elon Musk spent at least 8 figures to buy back X.com.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back