IT.COM

domain Appraisal Request: CaptainSully.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Markovian

Impact
Hi everyone, my name is Mark and while this is my first post to the forum, I have been a lurker from time to time. I am very new to domaining, and recently acquired what I think may be a somewhat valuable domain name: CaptainSully.com

For those outside of the US, the story of Captain Sully's heroic jet landing is the subject of a major motion picture starring Tom Hanks and directed by Clint Eastwood. The movie was released a few days ago and is currently at the top of the charts. Consequently, I suspect that consumer/search interest in "Captain Sully" and the like is probably heightened at the moment, which may provide some nice monetization opportunities. I have searched closed auctions but can't seem to find anything comparable with which to set a price. I will defer to the collective wisdom of the room - what might this be worth? Thank you in advance, all!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well in general it's a great domain...but personally I don't think you should try to profit off of a hero's name. Additionally, if Sully (or perhaps even the movie production company ?) wanted to, they could try to claim that his name is a famous mark and that he is entitled to the domain...that might be a stretch, I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong...but as far as a market for this sort of thing, I could only really see like a fan site...and I'm not sure how much a fan would pay for a domain.

•••
Welcome Markovian, I am somewhat of a newbie as well. I will say thank you for a well constructed and informative appraisal post. It is refreshing from the usual, 'what's it worth' communique.

I'm aware of the story and forthcoming movie and that nasty little Pestibot says $560. Whereas the colorful and liberal Nokta says $3,943.

My personal appraisal is based on development and/or potential sale to relevant parties. I won't put a dollar value on this one. I will suggest advertising this name to the Doctors of Film .

Regards.matt

•••
The way I see it:
  • you either develop the name
  • you try to sell it but there is only one 'obvious' end user which is a bad thing
In both cases there are TM issues at play most likely. Especially if you try to monetize this reg.

•••
Thank so much for all of the responses, all. I suppose I will consider this not only a loss but also a valuable lesson!

Mark

•••
you could start a 'fan site' though, you can say some nice things, link to some stories and collect some adsense revenue on the occassional click. People don't usually mind fan sites. Oh if you do make a fan site, add a 'non official fan site link' to the bottom of the wikipedia page.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back