IT.COM

Apple Threatens iTunes.co.uk Owner

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
derxob writes "According to The Register, Apple has accused Benjamin Cohen, the 'dotcom millionare' of being a 'cybersquatter.' He registered ITunes.co.uk on Nov. 7 2000, and Apple trademarked ITunes on Dec. 8, 2000. They have taken him to the UK registry Nominet and are demanding that he give up the domain."

Quite an interesting discussion about this at Slashdot
http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/04/12/08/0042207.shtml?tid=95&tid=98&tid=3

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thats retarded, he should be able to keep it.
I hate big stupid rich companies/people

•••
AndyM3 said:
Thats retarded, he should be able to keep it.
I hate big stupid rich companies/people

Yeah, rich people suck </sarcasm>

Seriously, without knowing anything about it, how are you able to decide that "he should be able to keep it".

-Allan

•••
groog said:
He registered ITunes.co.uk on Nov. 7 2000,
Apple trademarked ITunes on Dec. 8, 2000.

i say the domain should remain his. seeing as the term wasnt trademarked when he registered the domain.

•••
Do you believe him when he said he hadn't heard about Apple coming out with iTunes, seeing as though it was registered the day before? And I don't know if this is how TM works, but would the 8th be the day they filed, or the day they actually got TM status? Wouldn't they have filed for it, making it public, and then he registered the name?

•••
ipod.com itunes.co.uk, theres a difference there...

Big companies suck, except Wal-Mart because all their crap is cheeper.

Oh they are making something called iTunes. Well did they TM it before he regged it? If not he should keep it, if yes then he should have to give it up.

•••
Interesting thing here is the article quotes the publication date of the TM and not the lodgement date (which is about 2 weeks earlier than the domain registration). Under UK law the TM once approved becomes effective from the lodgement date. QED.

•••
omnia said:
Interesting thing here is the article quotes the publication date of the TM and not the lodgement date (which is about 2 weeks earlier than the domain registration). Under UK law the TM once approved becomes effective from the lodgement date. QED.

Give the man a cigar.

------
http://webdb4.patent.gov.uk/tm/text

2249936 ITUNES WO 24.10.2000
----------

Domain Name:
itunes.co.uk
Registrant:
CyberBritain Group Ltd
Relevant Dates:
Registered on: 07-Nov-2000

--------

The TM lodgement date is October 24, 2000. The domain name was registered November 7, 2000.

This is reminiscent of the "GMAIL" ITU applications filed in the USPTO on the day that Google announced the gmail service.

Coincidences do happen, but sometimes they are not purely coincidental. Nominet will sort it out based on the evidence made available to them.

•••
i dont know all the rules, but i think he should keep it, assuming he got it before it was trademarked

•••
The Equivocate said:
Do you believe him when he said he hadn't heard about Apple coming out with iTunes, seeing as though it was registered the day before? And I don't know if this is how TM works, but would the 8th be the day they filed, or the day they actually got TM status? Wouldn't they have filed for it, making it public, and then he registered the name?

I think you'll find it was actually a MONTH and a day before. I say he should be able to keep it. At the end of the day, it's not like he'll ever challenge Apple.

Apple are just using their status to overule "minors" - to them, that is. But heck, we just gotta accept, that the majority of times, the bigger companies WILL beat us - and there's nothing we can do about it!

•••
will7 said:
But heck, we just gotta accept, that the majority of times, the bigger companies WILL beat us - and there's nothing we can do about it!

Only if you feel you don't have the time, money, and sincere belief it's a cause
worth fighting for.

If there's a will, there's a way...

•••
Time? It would be years before a smaller company would win.

Money? Millions, possibly Billions to fight it.

Sincere Belief? At the end of the day, I have much more important things to do with my life than worry about this.

•••
will7 said:
Time? It would be years before a smaller company would win.

Money? Millions, possibly Billions to fight it.

Sincere Belief? At the end of the day, I have much more important things to do with my life than worry about this.

well you're right(from a smaller company point of view...)
but on this planet , there are so many cases when a simple man fought against something much bigger than him , believed in his cause , won and the most important , changed everything.... *<|

•••
•••
Indeed vimkar. But also, one has to consider what one will earn if one wins the competition. In this case, the guy is only going to earn a domain name.

Also, Apple have used "i" before many of their products before (iMac, iPod etc), and so could probably sue (and win) him for using their product branding or something lol.

•••
sue him for using the letter "i" as in "the 9th letter in the alphabet"???? :lol:

•••
Seems that Ben is not so kosher.

•••
If they go the whole hog, basic prerequisites such as the respondents previous track record will be taken into account i.e. does the respondent hold any other names that have been subject to a dispute, how many names held are developed sites - and I guess the burden of proof will lie in probabilities rather than beyond all doubt.

My guess is, he (and his attornies) will have a fierce job on their hands keeping the name if they go through adjudication/appeal/civil court.

jm $0.02

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
Yeah, rich people suck </sarcasm>

Seriously, without knowing anything about it, how are you able to decide that "he should be able to keep it".

-Allan
Thanks for the flame o_o

•••
Although it might have looked so, I wasn't flaming you. I was merely saying that without knowing the full details of the account, how can you judge whether or not he should be able to keep it?

Anyway, apologies if it came out like a flame, but it wasn't intended as one.

•••
Cybersquatting.. :lol:-, interesting.

If somebody trademarks a word, you suddenly can't use it as an alias or for a conveniently short domain name? I think that's pretty bogus. Apple should have been quicker if it's really that important to them, or pay the price. I say:
For the company and the defendant's sake, if the company must have that domain name, they shall pay a progressively set price (depending how big the company is or how valuable the domain is to them since some snatched up domains can be very valuable) or let the defendant keep the domain.

Since reading this thread, imho, Apple = :'(

Btw, is this the same in the united states for .com names? I don't want to be deemed a cybersquatter! 8-X

•••
will7 said:
Indeed vimkar. But also, one has to consider what one will earn if one wins the competition. In this case, the guy is only going to earn a domain name.

Also, Apple have used "i" before many of their products before (iMac, iPod etc), and so could probably sue (and win) him for using their product branding or something lol.

well i believe that sometimes you must see the all picture.....

how about publicity for free ????
i'm sure there will be many people in general and guys like us in special which would love to hear how on earth you 've done it ()......

and don't forget ....

what do you think you'll feel if you won a fight with such a giant ????

when you begin a fight like this one , it's good to know that you represent not only yourself , but all those who face the same problem ...

there's more than a simple domain here ......

•••
Time will prove the case well. :)

Flora.

•••
MissFlora said:
Time will prove the case well. :)

Flora.

yeap.... lol :wave:

•••
groog said:
derxob writes "According to The Register, Apple has accused Benjamin Cohen, the 'dotcom millionare' of being a 'cybersquatter.' He registered ITunes.co.uk on Nov. 7 2000, and Apple trademarked ITunes on Dec. 8, 2000. They have taken him to the UK registry Nominet and are demanding that he give up the domain."

Quite an interesting discussion about this at Slashdot
http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/04/12/08/0042207.shtml?tid=95&tid=98&tid=3

It's really going to be an interesting battle of legal wits. I've some ideas but since I'm one who happens to feel good about AAPL, I'll keep my mouth shut for now. The dot-com millionaire should be able to afford his own counsel.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back