Dynadot

analysis “AI” plunges in aftermarket sales rankings

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Afternic has released its latest keyword data for aftermarket domain sales, and AI dropped significantly down the list. The data cover sales in October of this year. After landing at #1 in September, the keyword AI dropped all the way to #9.
Read More.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
It makes sense, AI progression from the specific focus of LLMs is becoming more stagnant with the giant OpenAI focusing far more on efficiency and cost ratios and not so much on ability and functions. Without a major breakthrough with LLMs it looks like any further progression wont be extremely meaningful and that's while giants like Microsoft struggle on resourcing.

•••
I predicted this. .ai was never anything more than a cheap placeholder for the .com for a very particular niche. Not to mention that the competitive space for AI software is on a decline. We saw this with the release of DALL·E 3, hundreds of sites that offered AI-generated images became obsolete.

Last edited:
•••
I predicted this. .ai was never anything more than a cheap placeholder for the .com for a very particular niche. Not to mention that the competitive space for AI software is on a decline. We saw this with the release of DALL·E 3, hundreds of sites that offered AI-generated images became obsolete.
I don't believe this .ai related, I believe Afternic is talking about domain names with AI in them like KeywordAi.com or AiKeyword.com.

•••
I don't believe this .ai related, I believe Afternic is talking about domain names with AI in them like KeywordAi.com or AiKeyword.com.
Yeah, I missed it. It just seems to be for the keyword. Thanks for clarifying.

•••
Amount of posts by many of us (well, one or two) predicting the continued declining usage was evident for a long time. We just all got fed-up with the replies stating we hadn't a clue what we were talking about.

You only needed to have an ounce of sense. But Sometimes that's an ounce too far for some. Sure AI prefixes/suffixes are going to have/had a wave amongst novice domainers. Some probably got in and made a good/great early sale. (the experienced) Not going to be the same for the rest.

I just imagined that board meeting asking - right, guys what domain can we run with that will make us look stupid and totally irrelevant in 18 months time. Yep AI fits that bill perfectly. And No NOT the AI concept, just AI in the domain

Last edited:
•••
Well I think this data needs to be treated for what it is, and it simply means that Ai came in 9th out of all keywords sold at Afternic. That neither makes or breaks anyone's opinion in my opinion. Those names continue to be purchased still with 8 reported Keyword ai.coms for 5 figures where other popular keywords such as keyword media which I like and have had decent success with has had 1, art has had 0, labs 0, even group which is a top the list each month only has 4.

I believe Yogi Solanski said he brokered a $200K keywordai.com and Deepai.com sold mid 6 figures. So there is action in the niche.

The thing people have to remember is that really keyword and suffix sales do not tend to be as high as people think they are going to be. Keyword Media, Group no 6 figure sales ever reported.

KeywordShop.com I would say has been one of the best with 6 sales over $80K.

The worry for some in the keywordai space is does it become so ubiquitous that companies just leave it out? Now if a company is in the Ai space and wants a great premium one word .com that might be in use, so they will still probably want to keep greatkeywordai.com, but some might go another route.

Last edited:
•••
Having major companies like HubSpot (owner of Agent.ai) and another significant entity (owner of x.ai) holding domains like Agent.ai and x.ai adds credibility to the value and potential impact of AI-related domains. It reflects the recognition of AI's importance in the business landscape.

I’d say HODL.

•••
The affordability of L.ai, LL.ai, N.ai, and NN.ai domains compared to .com alternatives presents an opportunity for those seeking AI-related domains. This accessibility might attract businesses and individuals looking for distinctive and cost-effective options within the AI niche.

•••
I think the headline is perhaps misleading.

The plunge was still making it one of the ten most sold terms during the month. We don't have actual numbers, but graph suggests maybe a 25% difference between 3rd and 9th place, and this is one month only of data at one marketplace only. Is the difference statistically significant?

Also, as others pointed out, this is about sales of names containing the term AI, NOT about sales in the .ai extension itself.

Finally, this is about sales that specifically include the keyword AI. It says nothing about sales that are made for companies that do AI. As various people have pointed out various times, the vast majority of companies do not as their brand use an exact match to the service or product that they offer.

Imagine if headline was instead:

Amid Continued AI Tidal Wave, Slight Drop In Sold Names Specifically Including AI Term In Single Month's Data at One Marketplace - Results May Not Be Statistically Significant Says Commenter

Not as catchy, true :xf.cool:, but probably better represents situation, imho.

-Bob

•••
Here you go, fixed the headline:

Domains With “AI” keyword plunges in Afternic aftermarket sales rankings​

Last edited:
•••
Here you go, fixed the headline:

Domains With “AI” keyword plunges in Afternic aftermarket sales rankings​

I think that is exactly as any intelligent person would read the Original post. Providing they do take the time to read it. To suppose it is a reflection of AI development and progress is certainly ludicrous. We have to remember AI is just a TOOL of the Utility or Machine or Service etc that is being developed. The Blind-Sided domainers are seeing it as the Be All of the domain. So for most of us it's just domaining as normal, With all its elements and inputs.

Last edited:
•••
I highly say .. Hold your .ai , it will burning hot in 3rd quarter 2024 with businesses looking to establish

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back