Dynadot

question Afternic payment failure

NameSilo
Watch

amandadisanayaka

Established Member
Impact
Someone bought my domain which I bought from godaddy and listed on afternic via fast transfer on 16th June 2022. Domain got transferred automatically on 21st June 2022. Payout date was scheduled for 24th June 2022. But still I have not received the payout. I chose ACH transfer option. Usually I get the payment exactly on the scheduled date. I was keeping this domain for almost 8 months Please help me to sort this out. @Joe Styler

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It normally doesn't happen that quickly. Usually takes about a week from the transfer date. Make sure you have your payment details filled out. I wouldn't be worried yet.

•••
Upvote 0
It normally doesn't happen that quickly. Usually takes about a week from the transfer date. Make sure you have your payment details filled out. I wouldn't be worried yet.
Domain was transferred on 21st June 2022. So it's 6 days now. But the payout schedule date on my dashboard was for 24th June. My spoke to one of my friend and he said he usually get the payout the same date as mentioned. So if its 24th June, he said he get the payout to bank on 24th June via ACH transfer

•••
Upvote 0
I have problem with afternic too I sold my domain on 7 Jun 2022 domain transferred very fast in 4-5 days. Today after 20 days (27/06/2022) I still did not get payment from Afternic!
And this is the answer from support :

Hello,Thanks for that! Once the buyer takes full possession we'll get you paid out as soon as possible. Thanks again!Thank You,Transaction Assurance

a few days later I asked again and same answer!

Hello,

The first transfer done for this domain was a transfer done to our holding account.

Once Afternic resume control of the domain , we actively work with the buyer to take control.

We are currently finalizing the transfer of the domain to the buyer

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
This is the key phrase:

"Once the buyer takes full possession"

It happens once in a while. Even though the buyer has paid Afternic, the buyer sometimes delays or is simply slow in completing the transfer of the domain. ***Afternic cannot pay you until the domain is in the buyer's account.

This is often confusing to new sellers, because you transfer the domain to Afternic's 'holding account', so naturally you think 'the transfer is complete'. But it it not. The transfer they are talking about is from Afternic's holding account to the buyer's account. And whether that is a push or a transfer, sometimes the buyer is tardy in completing the process.

Usually the process is quick/instant. For real quick transactions where everyone does their parts smoothly and instantly, sometimes I've sold a domain via Afternic, the transfer has been done, and I've been paid, all within a few hours or one day. But that is rare; tsually it takes a few days. Once in a while, I get a slow buyer and the process might take 1 - 2 weeks. I'll message my Afternic agent and they'll say "We're still trying to get the buyer to complete the transfer".

This is not Afternic being slow, it is the buyer being slow. Afternic wants to get the transaction done fast (just like you), so they can get their money, you get your money, buyer gets their domain, everyone's happy and move on to the next sale.

Be patient. Once the buyer gets off their a$$ and completes the transfer, Afternic will then release the funds to you, usually within a few hours or a day or two.

Good luck :)

•••
Upvote 0
@Bannen Thank you.

You give a pretty good description of how Afternic is currently functioning. However, the process of settlement and payment can be much faster, whether or not the buyer takes action. DAN is leading the way in this. At DAN, payment takes place immediately after successfully pushing or transferring the domain to a DAN holding account.

Regarding Afternic, if I remember correctly, the domain seller officially sells the domain to Afternic, and then Afternic sells it to the buyer. All in a transparent way, but I think that's how Afternic reps once explained it on this forum. Bottom line: Afternic can make the process a whole lot more pleasant for domain sellers.

@Joe Styler @DAN.COM

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Maybe that's how dan works. But I worked with godaddy + Afternic. And the payout it already scheduled and the date has passed. But still I haven't received the funds. @Joe Styler

•••
Upvote 0
Log into your account and verify the payment. I sold three names in the last 2 weeks and normally get pay the same day or next day.

•••
Upvote 0
Log into your account and verify the payment. I sold three names in the last 2 weeks and normally get pay the same day or next day.
What do you mean by verifying the payment? In my afternic dashboard it shows the payout date as 24th June 2022. But still I have not received the funds or any email from afternic saying the funds were released. @Joe Styler

•••
Upvote 0
As @Bannen already said:

This is the key phrase:

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
You may want to contact your transfer agent to see the current status of payout.

•••
Upvote 0
As @Bannen already said:

This is the key phrase:
But in my case the domain is already transferred to the buyer. Afternic held my domain for 5 days for that and then I received an email saying "Good news, the transfer of (Domain name) to the buyer has completed!" and then they scheduled my payout. But still they haven't released. They said they will email me once the funds are released within 1-3 business days. But now it's past that

•••
Upvote 0
You may want to contact your transfer agent to see the current status of payout.
I have emailed afternic. There's no specific agent. I worked with godaddy + afternic. But still there's no response from them. Do they delay or cancel scheduled payouts like this? Will I lose both my domain and money by working with afternic? @Joe Styler @AbdulBasit.com

•••
Upvote 0
But in my case the domain is already transferred to the buyer. Afternic held my domain for 5 days for that and then I received an email saying "Good news, the transfer of (Domain name) to the buyer has completed!" and then they scheduled my payout. But still they haven't released. They said they will email me once the funds are released within 1-3 business days. But now it's past that
The status in the online dashboard is not always accurate. I hope you get paid soon. There's absolutely no harm in emailing [email protected] every now and then to speed up the process :)

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
The status in the online dashboard is not always accurate. I hope you get paid soon. There's absolutely no harm in emailing every now and then to speed up the process :)
I have emailed afternic. But still there's no response from them. Do they delay or cancel scheduled payouts like this after transferring the domain to the buyer? Will I lose both my domain and money by working with afternic?

•••
Upvote 0
@Bannen Thank you.

You give a pretty good description of how Afternic is currently functioning. However, the process of settlement and payment can be much faster, whether or not the buyer takes action. DAN is leading the way in this. At DAN, payment takes place immediately after successfully pushing or transferring the domain to a DAN holding account.

Regarding Afternic, if I remember correctly, the domain seller officially sells the domain to Afternic, and then Afternic sells it to the buyer. All in a transparent way, but I think that's how Afternic reps once explained it on this forum. Bottom line: Afternic can make the process a whole lot more pleasant for domain sellers.

@Joe Styler @DAN.COM
I agree with you totally!

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
You can trust Afternic. Eventually, you will get paid, don't worry.
Okay I will keep trusting afternic. Usually how long will I have to wait bro? Can you please let me know?

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
I hope you will not wait like me 20 days!
The issue with afternic is that, they don't respond to our emails. I have been trying to reach them to see what's going on but still no response. That's why I started this discussion to get some support from the community.

•••
Upvote 0
The issue with afternic is that, they don't respond to our emails. I have been trying to reach them to see what's going on but still no response. That's why I started this discussion to get some support from the community.
Do you have an actual account with Afternic? If you do, then your transaction is assigned a specific agent who sees it through to the end. You just click on the domain that is being sold - it will show to the right side of your dashboard - and you'll see a link to send a message to the agent. Response times vary; I've had agents who always get back to me within an hour (during work hours), and I've had agents who take 2 or 3 days to respond to each message.

If you do not have an agent at Afternic, and you are doing this transaction (from your end) only through Godaddy and are using Godaddy's agent to communicate with Afternic... I cannot advise, as I have never done that :)

Also, you can 'kind of ignore' the Afternic notifications. They are often premature. For example, I commonly receive a 'transfer to buyer is complete' notification the moment Afternic starts their transfer to the buyer... and in fact they have only started the transfer, and sometimes the transfer takes another few days even after I've received the 'transfer complete' notification. Same goes with the payout; I've sometimes received the 'payout is scheduled' notification; that just means the transaction agent has sent you the 'payout is scheduled' notification; they often send that notification also, when the transfer is started or underway, because they predict when the transfer will complete. Then payout is usually scheduled for within 3 days. But if the buyer delays the finalization of the transfer... you can see the payout date arrive in 3 days... and go by... and a few days later you're still waiting... and you message the Afternic agent and they say "We're still trying to get the buyer to complete the transfer". Ha ha.

As I said, almost all my transactions with Afternic are pretty fast, within 1 - 4 days; but a small percentage of them do have considerable delays. Each transaction goes through multiple people at multiple departments, and inter-department actions sometimes have delays for all kinds of reasons, and buyers delay things for their own reasons too. If there's a big delay: it's *usually* (usually but not always) due to the buyer not completing some step along the way yet. Which screws up the timing on the notifications Afternic sometimes prematurely sends you. Which makes you feel like something's wrong. When it's not wrong, just delayed.

•••
Upvote 0
Do you have an actual account with Afternic? If you do, then your transaction is assigned a specific agent who sees it through to the end. You just click on the domain that is being sold - it will show to the right side of your dashboard - and you'll see a link to send a message to the agent. Response times vary; I've had agents who always get back to me within an hour (during work hours), and I've had agents who take 2 or 3 days to respond to each message.

If you do not have an agent at Afternic, and you are doing this transaction (from your end) only through Godaddy and are using Godaddy's agent to communicate with Afternic... I cannot advise, as I have never done that :)

Also, you can 'kind of ignore' the Afternic notifications. They are often premature. For example, I commonly receive a 'transfer to buyer is complete' notification the moment Afternic starts their transfer to the buyer... and in fact they have only started the transfer, and sometimes the transfer takes another few days even after I've received the 'transfer complete' notification. Same goes with the payout; I've sometimes received the 'payout is scheduled' notification; that just means the transaction agent has sent you the 'payout is scheduled' notification; they often send that notification also, when the transfer is started or underway, because they predict when the transfer will complete. Then payout is usually scheduled for within 3 days. But if the buyer delays the finalization of the transfer... you can see the payout date arrive in 3 days... and go by... and a few days later you're still waiting... and you message the Afternic agent and they say "We're still trying to get the buyer to complete the transfer". Ha ha.

As I said, almost all my transactions with Afternic are pretty fast, within 1 - 4 days; but a small percentage of them do have considerable delays. Each transaction goes through multiple people at multiple departments, and inter-department actions sometimes have delays for all kinds of reasons, and buyers delay things for their own reasons too. If there's a big delay: it's *usually* (usually but not always) due to the buyer not completing some step along the way yet. Which screws up the timing on the notifications Afternic sometimes prematurely sends you. Which makes you feel like something's wrong. When it's not wrong, just delayed.
Thank you so much for this valuable information. I worked with godaddy but I have an afternic account which I can login to via godaddy. There's an option to message the agent. I will try that out and see what's going on.

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
I hope that Joe Styler @Joe Styler tries to do something in the near future. Brandable places like BB and SH, issue usually the next day payment and also Uni is quite good, but reading all this horrible stories with weeks in delay on GD and Afternic is not a good company image and the people will leave.
I dont use Dan, but Dan is also known of doing payments the next business day, now when Godaddy took it over, the people are scared this will change suddenly. Its really a good practice to issue payments asap and on time especially for freelance domainers and micro-companies they operate.

•••
Upvote 0
I hope that Joe Styler @Joe Styler tries to do something in the near future. Brandable places like BB and SH, issue usually the next day payment and also Uni is quite good, but reading all this horrible stories with weeks in delay on GD and Afternic is not a good company image and the people will leave.
I dont use Dan, but Dan is also known of doing payments the next business day, now when Godaddy took it over, the people are scared this will change suddenly. Its really a good practice to issue payments asap and on time especially for freelance domainers and micro-companies they operate.
Yes why can't they issue the payouts like other when they have already got the domain away from our account? We have to wait weeks to get the payout even after getting our domains removed from the account. Who will be held responsible if we don't get the payouts and also if we lose the domain? Seems like there are many people out there who haven't received payout for months. But here in my case my domain got transferred automatically without any of my knowledge via afternic fast transfer option. Any now I don't have my domain and as well as the payout.

•••
Upvote 0
Back