IT.COM

question Advise On Getting Domain From Huge Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Brickammo

Impact
Any advice on purchasing a domain from HD for a decent price. I owned a domain for years. At one time, it did have traffic, maybe a couple hundred hits a year. Nothing massive. I sold my web business but kept that domain and parked it since I wanted to give it to my daughter since her name is in the domain name. Anyway, 4 or 5 years ago, I dropped the ball and did not renew it. Didn't think about it for some time; then realized I needed to reregister. I was surprised to see HD had picked it up. Now they have had it for nearly 5 years. I did reach out to them one time but of course the price was too stiff. It is not an easy to remember domain, it is 12 characters in length, and other than my daughter's name in it (very unique first name), it is useless. Of course, they still own it and are still charging an arm and a leg for it. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions on how to get it back. If I get it fine, if not, no big deal. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
longer you wait the lower the price will get until it ends up in the pre release auction. However, if you think someone else wants it, you might want to consider how long you wait. You will be surprised how many people think nobody is interested in a domain they have and someone buys it.

Reaching out to them might mean they will hold onto it longer. I suggest if you want a better price wait but know the risks.

•••
longer you wait the lower the price will get until it ends up in the pre release auction. However, if you think someone else wants it, you might want to consider how long you wait. You will be surprised how many people think nobody is interested in a domain they have and someone buys it.

Reaching out to them might mean they will hold onto it longer. I suggest if you want a better price wait but know the risks.
Thank you. Have been waiting for five years now. What is another five? As for someone else wanting it, trust me, this is not a domain name anyone would even thing of typing in. It is about as useless as Bdj7342pzl.com

•••
Thank you. Have been waiting for five years now. What is another five? As for someone else wanting it, trust me, this is not a domain name anyone would even thing of typing in. It is about as useless as Bdj7342pzl.com
I had a domain sold to another domainer for xxx$. And 5-6 years after that I found it was free, and re- registered it. In Archieve.org, it showed that during the 5 years, Huge Domains had holded it. But it seems bought by someone and dropped. Because in Archieve.org it showed a website from US Tour Operator Company. If you are lucky, you can re-registered the domain. But I doubt if Huge Domains will drop it, unless some one bought it and accidently drop it, like your case..

Huge Domains can spend xxx $ to grab a domain in an auction. Every domainer in Godaddy Auction knows how desperate to win an auction against Huge Domains

Last edited:
•••
Thank you. Have been waiting for five years now.
If you periodically visited the domain page - they already noticed it. Cookies as well as raw stats. Since they saw that somebody is interested - the domain would unlikely be deleted in foreseeable future... You should at least stop visiting the domain if you want them to let it expire. Assuming that you are indeed one and only potential user, which is actually not obvious... And, if you want to check is it still for sale and the price - try to search the domain @ godaddy for example, as hugedomains domains can normally be purchased via GoDaddy.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for the replies and guidance.

•••
I had a domain sold to another domainer for xxx$. And 5-6 years after that I found it was free, and re- registered it. In Archieve.org, it showed that during the 5 years, Huge Domains had holded it. But it seems bought by someone and dropped. Because in Archieve.org it showed a website from US Tour Operator Company. If you are lucky, you can re-registered the domain. But I doubt if Huge Domains will drop it, unless some one bought it and accidently drop it, like your case..

Huge Domains can spend xxx $ to grab a domain in an auction. Every domainer in Godaddy Auction knows how desperate to win an auction against Huge Domains
hugedomains drops 1000's of names a week, you can see them on dropcatch under pre-release. Google any of the names, you will see almost all had hd for sales pages

•••
HD are sticklers for keeping names, especially if they've had inquiries about a name. That won't work in your favour unfortunately.

You're right though, if you dropped it you dropped the ball. I've always thought their prices were pretty reasonable... Have you tried offering what you think is reasonable?

Good luck

Last edited:
•••
You should at least stop visiting the domain if you want them to let it expire.
This was the first thing I thought. Visits tell them there is interest in the name.

•••
Nobody has ever accused HD of charging an arm and a leg. They charge below market value in many cases and they offer payment plans. Its either worth it to you or its not. If not worth their price check it yearly around renewal time for a potential drop or just let it go.

•••
Nobody has ever accused HD of charging an arm and a leg. They charge below market value in many cases and they offer payment plans. Its either worth it to you or its not. If not worth their price check it yearly around renewal time for a potential drop or just let it go.
I apologize if this post was intended to be funny, but HD prices are astronomically high for IMO some pretty bad names....

•••
Last resort - you could reg the name in another ext. Say .me. Not as sexy but may be worth it. In the meantime - check to see if HD reg gets dropped

•••
HD are sticklers for keeping names, especially if they've had inquiries about a name. That won't work in your favour unfortunately.

You're right though, if you dropped it you dropped the ball. I've always thought their prices were pretty reasonable... Have you tried offering what you think is reasonable?

Good luck
Yes. They thought my offer was not even close.

•••
Last resort - you could reg the name in another ext. Say .me. Not as sexy but may be worth it. In the meantime - check to see if HD reg gets dropped
I did this. Spelled it differently, however it is not how my daughter's name is spelled so perhaps not as special.

•••
This was the first thing I thought. Visits tell them there is interest in the name.
I think I visited it once in the last three years or so. Now I just check it in Godaddy

•••
I think I visited it once in the last three years or so. Now I just check it in Godaddy
Maybe I could help you come up with a name that matches the one HD is holding unto instead of spending a fortune.

•••
I’ve been waiting 9 years for them to drop a name. Since you previously expressed interest in it, they are unlikely to drop it.

•••
A couple of Ks are not that much if you plan to build something valuable on it. Consider also that domain prices tend to go up over time.

Moreover, by experience I can tell you that if you see value in it, most likely there are other dudes thinking the same. We are 8 billions and even if you think something is very specific, in reality there is a quite big pool of interested parties.

Take into consideration also that if someone buys it instead of you, it might never become available for sale again.

If you think the price is out of range you can acquire the same keyword in a different extension or find out an alternative that can fit your needs.

Hope you will be able to acquire the domain that best suits your needs and your budget.

Good luck

Last edited:
•••
Since you likely type it out every other day, they will wait till you pay.

•••
Any advice on purchasing a domain from HD for a decent price. I owned a out domain for years. At one time, it did have traffic, maybe a couple hundred hits a year. Nothing massive. I sold my web business but kept that domain and parked it since I wanted to give it to my daughter since her name is in the domain name. Anyway, 4 or 5 years ago, I dropped the ball and did not renew it. Didn't think about it for some time; then realized I needed to reregister. I was surprised to see HD had picked it up. Now they have had it for nearly 5 years. I did reach out to them one time but of course the price was too stiff. It is not an easy to remember domain, it is 12 characters in length, and other than my daughter's name in it (very unique first name), it is useless. Of course, they still own it and are still charging an arm and a leg for it. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions on how to get it back. If I get it fine, if not, no big deal. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this?
a shot in the dark......
i have seen a name offered fs on gname.com, for $120, as well as on HD for $2300! same name...checked 3 times!
i did purchase a domain from gname, and is being transferred out at te time of tis post (in the middle of 5 day period) so they seem legit so far...

•••
Forget about getting it for a decent price. I'd say just let them hold the domain longer if they insist on doing so, and waste a few more years of renewals. From what you mentioned it sounds like they will never sell that particular domain to anyone else, especially at that price. I'm guessing they felt a fishie at the end of the line (you) so they are hanging on to it. Just put a watch onto it and/or maybe a backorder(s) and then forget about it. Look at it as though they are holding the domain for you, at their cost. I suspect in a year/two/three they'll follow up on your initial enquiry and contact you again. Tell them not interested any more, or offer $50. I've seen a few they hold for a year or two, then drop coz obviously no interest.

If you really want to confuse them or make asymmetrical warfare on them, make contact about some similar names. Some from you, some from other people. Give them a budget of $50 or whatever you think. Enquire about other domains you have no interest in too. They'll likely hold those domains for years as well. You'll increase their holding costs and thus their eagerness to sell inventory or drop some domains. If it's war they want, give it to 'em.

Or just look for an alternative name. Register it. If/when HD get back to you, you can tell them you registered another name (and show them), offer $20, then they'll see you're not interested and might drop it, then grab it on the drop if you still want it.

•••
Forget about getting it for a decent price. I'd say just let them hold the domain longer if they insist on doing so, and waste a few more years of renewals. From what you mentioned it sounds like they will never sell that particular domain to anyone else, especially at that price. I'm guessing they felt a fishie at the end of the line (you) so they are hanging on to it. Just put a watch onto it and/or maybe a backorder(s) and then forget about it. Look at it as though they are holding the domain for you, at their cost. I suspect in a year/two/three they'll follow up on your initial enquiry and contact you again. Tell them not interested any more, or offer $50. I've seen a few they hold for a year or two, then drop coz obviously no interest.

If you really want to confuse them or make asymmetrical warfare on them, make contact about some similar names. Some from you, some from other people. Give them a budget of $50 or whatever you think. Enquire about other domains you have no interest in too. They'll likely hold those domains for years as well. You'll increase their holding costs and thus their eagerness to sell inventory or drop some domains. If it's war they want, give it to 'em.

Or just look for an alternative name. Register it. If/when HD get back to you, you can tell them you registered another name (and show them), offer $20, then they'll see you're not interested and might drop it, then grab it on the drop if you still want it.
That might be some tongue in cheek and wasn't worth the negative let me take some bullets and rank you back up.

Last edited:
•••
ROFL @ all the down votes.

Look... I'm all for domain investing (I do the same myself) and all for asking a fair price for valuable domains, but I'm NOT for domain extortion especially for low/no value domains (and it won't work BTW, as clearly OP won't pay hundreds/thousands for the domain). Domain extortion is bad for the industry. From the sound of it, the domain in question is one that has ZERO resale value other than what OP is willing to pay. From the scant information that has been provided so far, I'm going with that assessment, unless we get the specific name in question and we can reassess.

I'm surprised too to see that many domain investors are happy to hand over domains at cost to those who neglected to renew (I too agree with this if certain criteria are met) yet they want to hold out for big $ on essentially worthless domains:

trust me, this is not a domain name anyone would even thing of typing in. It is about as useless as Bdj7342pzl.com

As both a domain investor AND a domain buyer I see both sides of the coin. Sorry if the truth is painful.

•••
Whats an arm and a leg in USD these days?
Of course, they still own it and are still charging an arm and a leg for it. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions on how to get it back. If I get it fine, if not, no big deal. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this?

•••
Back