IT.COM

question Adding description to files

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
Is there a way to add some text to any file, which won't modify
the file or its type at all. I mean, something like Read-Me, but not separate from
the file. I can modify filename, but it would be an ugly solution.
Also I want that data to be easily accessable, with something like, mouse-over.
(also wondering whether "hidden" description can be added)
Using linux.
Is there a program which can detect period of a given music?
period: time interval between "repetitions", or consecituve bumps.
I do it manually using audacity, and takes lots of time.
Something online, or trustable/respectful opensource.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't use linux so I can't answer regarding the first part of your post

On the second question however,
what do you mean by 'period'; are you talking about guessing the interval between the start of an audio loop in a sample and the end of a loop in the same sample?

It would help if you explained how you achieve that with audacity

•••
Some pairs of music have the same rhythm and/or develop similarly, and I try to join them and create a new file.
But their "speed" need to match. So I make one faster or slower to make them match before joining them.
(I could talk about frequency instead of period but then it could be confused with pitch.
Maybe we can call it "wavelength", but again, it could be confused with wavelength of notes.)
Any music "repeats" itself while developing, not repeat identically but the rhythm remains the same usually.
It is like skeleton of a body. So it is like, I'm trying to measure the distance between bones in the spine.
I can get the answer up to a multiple, not a problem, but the durations needs to be measured perfectly, like , with less than 1 percent error.

Example:

Oh, jingle bells, jingle bells Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride In a one horse open sleigh
Jingle bells, jingle bells Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride In a one horse open sleigh

Trying to measure length of each line (should all be the same, or if not,
then I'm not measuring the right thing)

Very similar to Mendelsohnn's violin concerto in some sense.

Last edited:
•••
That's interesting. At first I thought you wanted to measure distance from one audio 'spike' to another but what you are describing is much more sophisticated.
I wasn't aware audacity could do such a thing. Could you share the command you use to achieve that?

Reason I'm asking is, I may be able to come across something similar so, knowing the name that Audacity gives to that procedure would make it easier for me to spot it and let you know about it.

Note that I used to work with audio but mainly recording real audio and virtual instruments. I almost never worked with loops and samples.

Funny thing is,
I got Ableton a couple of years ago and I still haven't explored it fully. However, I'm fairly positive it *does* do what you want to do. I got the full version but I think I still got the light version somewhere. Not sure if I had it registered to my name.

If I find some spare time, would you want me to look for it? It's one of those versions they give away with hardware (in this case with the Nektar keyboard I got). If it's not already registered, the serial should still work.

Let me know if you want me to search for it.

•••
Not sophisticated at all, but can be complicated for computers, but I suspect it would be easy to do with some AI thing. You need to feel the rhythm of the music, and of course you do if you make sense of it. and read endpoints of a repeating part with Audacity and find their difference. Not difficult, but it is boring. Requires zoom-in , zoom-out..etc.
I find new similarities everyday while not thinking about music at all. Also I don't know much about music.
Finding a high quality recording of a music is more important/difficult part than this one.
I can use the same music in more than one work, so computing its period once will be useful in the future as well, but I need to store it at a safe place. I can write them down on a paper, but I can easily lose that paper. Instead I prefer to attach that data to mp3 file itself (first question). For now probably not needed, but if I feel I need to do such things in industrial scale; then I would either need help from AI or outsource (paying others for the same manual work) that part. This is pure hobby, and not shared/published at the moment. I'm not the first person to do such things, but can I find similarities which look unimaginable to most people: maybe. Time may tell.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back