NameSilo

available About domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Although you can write HTML on your computer (as I will show you how to do in the next chapter), you will need a place to put your files on the Internet when you've finished writing them! That place is called a web host. Web sites are generally hosted as domains.

So what is a domain name? A domain name is a web address that ends in .com, .net, .org, or another similar ending. Getting a domain is really easy. When I wanted davesite.com, I made sure no one else had it, and just started paying my small yearly fee for it. Now whenever someone types in their web browser, my web site magically pops up.

The most important feature of a domain name is that you own it.

When you get a domain name, you own the worldwide name. As long as you've picked a legal name for it (not someone else's trademark) no one will be able to take it from you.
Domains names are important because:

* Your web address never changes. When you print a flyer, or include the URL in a book, you don't have to worry about it.
* It looks very professional.
* Your e-mail address never has to change. If you own the domain name, [email protected]/.net/.org will always work.
* You have the freedom to move. You can move your site to a new host if you're not pleased with the one you're using.
* Domain hosts don't show ads on your site. (If you want to make money with ads, you can add them yourself.)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Shouldn't this go on the newbie thread?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back