Dynadot

opinion About capitalization, lower case, upper case - Funny cases

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I'm making a post to gauge what you people think regarding the way domains read. Some marketplaces allow you to capitalize the way you want to, but others do not (Sedo for instance).

Do you prefer upper case, lower case, first letter of each word in upper case?

I've read a funny article that was actually about hyphens, but the same example applies here. How sometimes it's necessary to be able to capitalize, like in these cases:

• therapistinabox.com : Therapist in a Box or The Rapist in a Box?
  • penisland.net : Pen Island or Penis Land?
  • speedofart.com : Speed of Art or Speedo Fart?
  • expertsexchange.com : Experts Exchange or Expert Sex Change?
  • whorepresents.com : Who Represents or Whore Presents?
  • lesbocages.com : Les Bocages or Lesbo Cages?
LMAO here, but yes. Maybe every marketplace should allow to capitalize first letters of each word.

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Mmmm.. nah... I vote for lowercase. Let the people see whatever they want to see, or read :)

•••
The problem is often that uppercase "i" (I) and lowercase "L" (l) look the same in many fonts.

Marketplaces need to use fonts where the distinction is clear. When I share my daily lists, I try to have it so that domains with a word beginning in "i" is all lowercase.

I'm pretty sure some do let you change it. For example, @epik uses CamelCasing, and you can edit it afterwards (you always need to double check anything casing is automated, as sometimes automation gets it wrong (like in the cases you mentioned above.

Also , if someone is really looking for your domain, then they will generally find it regardless as to capitalisation (search sees through that anyways).

That said .. I generally do prefer CamelCasing when looking at individual domains.

•••
Recently there was a case at WIPO if I'm not wrong. The same English words.One in all upper case other in lower case.
I think the usage of capitalization may depend on comps or end-users.
Is there any brand maths in capitalization?
There may no set of rules to use capitalization at the beginning of words.
just my opinion

Thanks
DpakH

•••
Good post @belmar313

I think every marketplace should allow capitalized names...

The customer/end user/ordinary reader for that matter...will have very little span of attention and this confusion in text will drive them away...

They simply scroll down...

Having good name is main point but if it is annoying to read on first place...we might be losing potential buyers.

Afternic allows it...I don't understand what is the problem with Sedo to do the same...

Thanks,
Ravi

•••
I am always amazed at the amount of organizations and companies that do NOT camel case when marketing.

•••
Love those examples, Therapist is a classic.

Even all uppercase and all lower case won't change the way these names are viewed, especially if someone just happens to be browsing a list, and might miss the intended read for the perceived read. Camel casing would come in handy particularly for the examples illustrated. Also for those back-to-back same lettered words in the middle of the name, eg. upperratings vs UpperRatings.

Camel case is specific to capitalizing only the word in middle, not the beginning of phrase. For our intents, we'd be looking at using Pascal case.

•••
•••
From the greatest comedy show of all time! :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back