Domain Empire

A Quote I Wrote About Domains - Please Tell Me What You Think

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Elan23

Established Member
Impact
When one searches for a domain name to purchase, it's not the buyer that is choosing the domain name, it's the domain name choosing the buyer.

The buyer's dreams and aspirations call out to the words as they search for the perfect name that can prove their passion.

It's the words that choose the buyer to make them happen!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice poem that would apply in the case there are many buyers and few domains.
In the real world there are too many domains for sale and too few buyers so there are many options.
Finally, the choice is also dictated by budget rather than passion

•••
Thanks for killing getting romantic about domaining!!!

•••
Thanks for killing getting romantic about domaining!!!
Plenty of romanticism in domaining. But only when you are not thinking about "clients", "end-users" etc. In my opinion anyway...

•••
no offence guys, but it sounds like you forgot why you got into this business in the first place.

Last edited:
•••
Nope. I got into it because I liked words. And still do.

Last edited:
•••
My method is based on metrics 🔢 so nothing romantic
But it's nice to know that someone else business is focused on name passion :xf.love:

Last edited:
•••
Your probably not far from the truth for a lot of registrants But, that's where they go wrong. They allow fantastical, imaginary concepts rule their decision making. I can't call them Business Concepts because they don't include realistic business use (in demand) as their base.

Last edited:
•••
Hey Evil,

Are you sure you only look at the metrics to sell domains? Cause from what I can see from your posts, you seem to have a lot of passion for selling domains.

I think if you look just bit deeper within yourself, you'll see that the metrics have nothing to do with why you buy & sell domains.

Last edited:
•••
Your probably not far from the truth for a lot of registrants But, that's where they go wrong. They allow fantastical, imaginary concepts rule their decision making. I can't call them Business Concepts because they don't include realistic business use (in demand) as their base.
isn't that like saying Facebook, Airbnb, Uber Youtube were all fantastical, imaginary concepts as well?

•••
isn't that like saying Facebook, Airbnb, Uber Youtube were all fantastical, imaginary concepts as well?

Indeed, they were all as you describe. But now lets consider the number of these type of domains registered (in the millions) compared to the number of businesses with sustainable (model and financial) backing. I truly acknowledge what your trying to say, But it is a weakness in regards to domain investing. Perfect for fantasy land, but that is about all.

A few indeed turn into the registrants forward thinking business idea. though Very, very few I'm sorry to say, The solid ground is where there is already demand and that is quite often difficult (in regard wording) to identify for many.

Last edited:
•••
Indeed, they were all as you describe. But now lets consider the number of these type of domains registered (in the millions) compared to the number of businesses with sustainable (model and financial) backing. I truly acknowledge what your trying to say, But it is a weakness in regards to domain investing. Perfect for fantasy land, but that is about all.
I find what you have said interesting. especially the weakness part. I think I have a pretty good idea of what you are trying to say, but can you please explain in greater detail.

•••
Lets see if your thread develops and hopefully I'll have the time to elaborate further later this evening (UK time) I think most, if not all of what I'm saying is pretty well understood by many and certainly has been covered at Namepros many times in the past.

•••
When one searches for a domain name to purchase, it's not the buyer that is choosing the domain name, it's the domain name choosing the buyer.

The buyer's dreams and aspirations call out to the words as they search for the perfect name that can prove their passion.

Hi

some of what you say, is a reality, while most is budget based.

many times i and others may have said that, it's best to have " domain names that speak for themselves."

from that perspective, the name may "speak" to a buyer because it appeals to an idea or concept.

however, acquiring that domain, when it's already taken, is the challenge.

this is where budget and second thoughts come to play.

does the buyer have enough cash to purchase, or will they look at alternatives?

and typically, the alternative is chosen, or they don't buy anything.

imo....

•••
Hey Evil,

Are you sure you only look at the metrics to sell domains? Cause from what I can see from your posts, you seem to have a lot of passion for selling domains.

I think if you look just bit deeper within yourself, you'll see that the metrics have nothing to do with why you buy & sell domains.
My business is based on domain parking and not selling domains.
So every domain that give a profit considering ACQUISITION PRICE and RENEWAL FEE is OK.
I sell less than 0.1% of my portfolio so names are irrelevant for me.
I know that the common opinion is that parking is dead but this is not true in my case; however these are difficult days :(
Great admiration for those who buy at xxx$ or xxxx$ and sell at xxxx$ or xxxxx$ but I am not predisposed and competent.

•••

A few indeed turn into the registrants forward thinking business idea. though Very, very few I'm sorry to say, The solid ground is where there is already demand and that is quite often difficult (in regard wording) to identify for many.

I completely respect and understand your opinion. However, I prefer to dream! and here's why.

inbiblio.com

I bought this domain name a few days ago not because of how I could have flipped it and made $250 or even $2500. I bought it because of how it made me imagine of what it could be. A thought process if you will.

It started by how the name caught my eye in the first place. when you first come upon the name, the first letter the person see's is the "i", but more specifically they see the dot of the "i" first. Than human nature wants to start to make sense of what they are starting to read and they naturally start looking to the right and start to drop the eye down to the "n".

Now because the "i" and the "n" complement each other and logically makes a word to the person starting to read it, they now are starting to comprehend that it may be a word because they've seen the word "in", and therefor they naturally want to read it further to satisfy their curiosity of what the word will be after they sound it out to themselves.

After the person has dropped their eye down to the "n", the "n" pushes the eye further to the right by showing the person the round part of the "b", they really don't see the shaft of the "b" because the "n" dropped the eye downwards.

Now the person is confronted with yet another challenge, and because of the skinniness of the "i", that allows the person to see another "b" and therefor starts to put together another part of the word that makes sense, which is "bib". so now we have "inbib"

Now here comes the last part of the name. The last part of the name is the most satisfying and gratifying. This is the best part of the domain name because it allows the person to finish scrolling their eyes to the right by completing the name for them and gives them the satisfaction of spelling out the word allowing them to roll it off their tongue.

After the person has finished seeing the second "b" and reading the word "bib", the eyes are then taken for a sweet short rollercoaster ride. The eyes are immediately thrown upwards to the "l" and than brought downwards to the "i" showing the person the word "li"

Now once the person's eye's have hit the last "i", the shaft of the last "i" is level to the "o" which pushes the eyes to the "o" and therefor completing the word "inbiblio" :)

Furthermore, esthetically and visually speaking, it's very pleasing to look at. Look at how the 3 "i"s complement each other as you look it. It's like they are all little soldiers standing in their places. Than look at the shafts of the 2 "b"s and the "l" and how they work well together to divide the "i"s and allowing for those pleasing highs and lows of the structure of the name. Look at the "lio" and how it allows the eyes to flow gently downwards to the right from the "l" to the "i" giving the eyes permission to finish reading the word by flowing it over to the "o".

Now once the person has finished reading the name, they've come to the conclusion that it spells "inbiblio". This than intrigues the person that has read it because now the word has some familiarity to them, like it's a word that may belong to the dictionary. The person starts to think of the words bibliography or bibliothèque, see the word "biblio" in both those words.

Now the mind right away thinks that this may have something to do with books, and lo and behold, it does! If you do a google search for "biblio definition", you will come up with this answer:

combining form
prefix: biblio-
relating to a book or books.

And this is where the spark between the name, my dreams of what this domain could be, and me making the purchase of it, because in reality the domain name found me and was calling me to bring it to life.

This domain name should be an online e-book store.

inbiblio.com - E-Book Store.

I hope you enjoyed my journey on how this domain name found me.

Last edited:
•••
Well I didn't seek-out your post, your post found me just as I logged onto Namepros.

I appreciate your worded analysis but unfortunately the human reading mind doesn't work quite as you imagine. When reading text or an individual word our brain is looking first for pattern recognition (the whole word) then it will move to syllables if there is no instant recognition of the whole. The first pattern recognised is IN and not the I as a stand alone.

People that know me understand that I too am both into Brandable domains and also the aesthetics of letterings and word pairing. Now that said, I have no problem recognising inbiblio as both memorable and indeed it does hold appeal for a lot of what you have stated. There is quite a good site already for books on Biblio. Not that that should detract from your own connotation.

So to finish, word/s analysis is a good step to a domain I wouldn't try to rewrite the basics of word/text recognition in a way that fits my thinking rather than what is the established and recognised.

All the best

Last edited:
•••
Well I didn't seek-out your post, your post found me just as I logged onto Namepros.

I appreciate your worded analysis but unfortunately the human reading mind doesn't work quite as you imagine. When reading text or an individual word our brain is looking first for pattern recognition (the whole word) then it will move to syllables if there is no instant recognition of the whole. The first pattern recognised is IN and not the I as a stand alone.

People that know me understand that I too am both into Brandable domains and also the aesthetics of letterings and word pairing. Now that said, I have no problem recognising inbiblio as both memorable and indeed it does hold appeal for a lot of what you have stated. There is quite a good site already for books on Biblio. Not that that should detract from your own connotation.
You are correct about the site biblio already existing and is an online book store, however, upon further inspection on what they sell, one can see it's an online book store/marketplace for books stores all over the world for people to buy new and used books.

You were right in saying that just because biblio exists, does not mean this site can't be a book store as well but with a different concept. Instead of it being a marketplace to buy books from independent book stores all over the world, it could be an online e-book store selling all kinds of e-books written by independent authors looking to promote their writings.

Last edited:
•••
You are correct about the site biblio already existing and is an online book store, however, upon further inspection on what they sell, one can see it's an online book store/marketplace for books stores all over the world for people to buy new and used books.

You were right in saying that just because biblio exists, does not mean this site can't be a book store as well but with a different concept. Instead of it being a marketplace to buy books from independent book stores all over the world, it could be an online e-book store selling all kinds of e-books written by independent authors looking to promote their writings.

•••

So to finish, word/s analysis is a good step to a domain I wouldn't try to rewrite the basics of word/text recognition in a way that fits my thinking rather than what is the established and recognised.

All the best
I don't like to play in other people's sandboxes because their sand hurts my knee's while I try to aspire to build sandcastles with spires that can reach the skies.

All the best to you sir!

You shalt not see me on NamePros after today. the waters are too murky

•••

You shalt not see me on NamePros after today. the waters are too murky

I get what you're saying and it's exactly how I discovered domaining! ❤️ or.. did domaining discover me

Naming is a passion for some, others it's a paystub. Maybe both. Regardless, we all love DN in all it's incarnations. Peace dude, and don't leave

•••
I get what you're saying and it's exactly how I discovered domaining! ❤️ or.. did domaining discover me

Naming is a passion for some, others it's a paystub. Maybe both. Regardless, we all love DN in all it's incarnations. Peace dude, and don't leave
Hey HotKey,

I just wanted to say thank you for your reply. In my appreciation of your kind words and for asking me not to leave, I purchased a name inspired by you.

eyedream.io

Peace ✌️

•••
Hey HotKey,

I just wanted to say thank you for your reply. In my appreciation of your kind words and for asking me not to leave, I purchased a name inspired by you.

eyedream.io

Peace ✌️
Peace! "eye" see

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back