IT.COM

discuss A CMS for name selling

NameSilo
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
I want to set up a site to list my names for sale, and I've been looking at some content management systems to use. My objectives are -

List names for sale so that I can make the occasional sale.
Display some advertising links so that I can pick up a bit of revenue to cover the registration fees.
Include a wants section to try to pick up a few new names.
Attach 3 or 4 pages to the name to help with the search engines.
Use URL forwarding to harvest direct navigation traffic.

I looked at Drupal, but that seems to be a bit of an overkill solution. This may be the ultimate solution.
WordPress is another possibility, but it doesn't really lend itself to the final objective.
I experimented with a couple of shopping carts - Presta Shop, and Cube Cart. They are both good pieces of software, but require quite a lot of customising to fit the bill.

I'm coming to the conclusion that a basic forum using something like Simple Machines would be the best quick solution. Each name could be in it's own thread, and I could include pictures and comments. The listing board would be closed to posters other than admin to avoid spammers.

Has anybody tried something like this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Try using wordpress. You have lot of options with it.

•••
i'll use wordpress just because i'm familiar with it (i don't see how smf is better), but basically any cms will do with some tweaking.
out of the box solution ... i don't know anything good.

•••
How do you get on with URL forwarding with WordPress. I was thinking I could create a sub-directory for each name, and use some standard templates for secondary pages. I can leave that there when a name is sold.

I'm a fairly small player, I've only got a hundred or so names for sale these days, and I am expecting some names to take two years or more to sell, so I wanted to pick up a bit of ad revenue in the meantime.

•••
Kuffy, if you want to quickly setup a small site, that's fine...but I wouldn't get too carried away. Not many people are going to go to your website to browse for domain names. It's pretty rare to hear of a domain being sold through a website like that...unless it's already a really great name. Personally, I would use Wordpress...and if you want each domain name to take you directly to that name on your site...just create a separate 'blog post' for each domain name...then forward the name to that page.

•••
Kuffy, do know PHP/HTML etc. ?

Im planning to do something very similar as you. Im going for Processwire. (but it require some programming skills)

•••
Thanks for posting that. I think if I was going to spend a lot of time on the setup, I'd go for Drupal.

I'm looking for a fairly simple system that will allow me to gain a bit of ad revenue, and a place for companies like Domain Agents to hunt for names on behalf of clients. Forums seem to be loved by search engines, but attract a lot of spammers, that's why I'm cautious about using SMF.

•••
There are plugins for nearly everything in WP

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm returning to domain name investment after a few years away, and it looks as if things have changed quite a bit. I installed a forum using SMF as it only takes about 10 minutes, and that includes a few initial posts. I'm using a template to put together a few pages for a test name, and I'm putting those pages into a sub-directory under the root for the listing domain. One thing about using forum software is that the spiders seem to be all over already, and I haven't listed it anywhere. Hopefully I can start adding some advertising in the not too distant future.

I experimented a bit with multi-domain installations of Drupal and WordPress, and this is probably the way to go if I can get some traction with my portfolio. I felt that it needed a dedicated server or at least a VPS to run such a site with 200+ names, and I don't want to incur that overhead at the moment.

I'll see what happens with the forum setup when I add adozen or so names. At worst, I can leave the site up, and try a different package.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back