Dynadot

question 600 domains aiming to make $30k and expand portfolio - Your Advice

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lknights1987

Established Member
Impact
I own 600 domain names 65% Hand Reg, 20% bought at auction, and the rest bought from Godaddy closeouts.

For the past 3 years I've sold 8 domains 1x $2888 1x $2500 1x $995 and 5 x $265

I've changed prices on the majority of my domain names to lower than what my GoDaddy rep thinks they're worth but nothing has sold since about 5 months ago. ( reduced prices from $1500 to $795 )

My aim is to expand my portfolio size from 600 to 2000 domains and make at least $30k per year in sales.

What advice would you give me to get to 2000 domain names and make over $30k in sales per year? Should I reduce the prices of my domains and sell them off cheaper?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've changed prices on the majority of my domain names to lower than what my GoDaddy rep thinks they're worth but nothing has sold since about 5 months ago. ( reduced prices from $1500 to $795 )

What advice would you give me to get to 2000 domain names and make over $30k in sales per year? Should I reduce the prices of my domains and sell them off cheaper?

Don't do that - reduce prices. Big mistake.

Most of my domains are in this zone and wildly different niches so I can tell.

Been testing reducing prices a lot, throughout this years, on various price levels. No positive influence on sales, I mean really. In fact the more you reduce them, the less they sell. Particularly in my case anything under $1700 tends to NOT sell at all.

Low discounted prices like $265 worked until 2021 and somewhat through. I believe these were bought by individuals, very small firms, small investors etc. Since the pandemic took effect, this zone has stopped. They are spooked and keep their cash instead. ( Edit: Or, they do not have cash anymore since household cash reserves have dropped to very low levels even in US, for obvious reasons . )

Keep your prices up. You're ruining your domaining. Edit: And everyone else's by mass effect, if too many domainers are doing that.

I have actually increased prices, like what most experienced domainers here have done already. Not going overboard though. Just a steady, gradual increase. You cannot make money if sales are scarce and you're decreasing prices, while domain prices go up and auction prices are insane.

The profit comes from higher end buyers that would spend several K on a domain.

That demand is still there, by reducing prices you actually make them think that your domain might not be that good after all. The better the name, the more deep pocket the niche, even say crypto despite the current decline, the better the chance of selling.

Domains I used to price at say $2.5k, now I price 4K and then they negotiate to $2.5K or so and buy it.

Edit: We're in this to make money, not to basically give away good names, this ain't charity.

Last edited:
•••
Don't do that - reduce prices. Big mistake.

Most of my domains are in this zone and wildly different niches so I can tell.

Been testing reducing prices a lot, throughout this years, on various price levels. No positive influence on sales, I mean really. In fact the more you reduce them, the less they sell. Particularly in my case anything under $1700 tends to NOT sell at all.

Low discounted prices like $265 worked until 2021 and somewhat through. I believe these were bought by individuals, very small firms, small investors etc. Since the pandemic took effect, this zone has stopped. They are spooked and keep their cash instead. ( Edit: Or, they do not have cash anymore since household cash reserves have dropped to very low levels even in US, for obvious reasons . )

Keep your prices up. You're ruining your domaining. Edit: And everyone else's by mass effect, if too many domainers are doing that.

I have actually increased prices, like what most experienced domainers here have done already. Not going overboard though. Just a steady, gradual increase. You cannot make money if sales are scarce and you're decreasing prices, while domain prices go up and auction prices are insane.

The profit comes from higher end buyers that would spend several K on a domain.

That demand is still there, by reducing prices you actually make them think that your domain might not be that good after all. The better the name, the more deep pocket the niche, even say crypto despite the current decline, the better the chance of selling.

Domains I used to price at say $2.5k, now I price 4K and then they negotiate to $2.5K or so and buy it.

Edit: We're in this to make money, not to basically give away good names, this ain't charity.
Thanks for your response @twiki

•••
I've had a few domainers reach out to me trying to sell me their domains. I am not looking to buy any domain names right now!

•••
Buy less domains, but higher quality.

•••
Make your marketplace on your own domain and make it popular. The best advice!

•••
Try to buy names in popular niches or names which have broad appeal across various industries. Stick with 2k+ names in order to get the math work IMO. Give the buyers the option to pay through instalments also. Good luck 🤞

•••
This is a good advice, but you need either to deal with a single industry/niche, as finance/tech/health/crypto and so on or you need at least 5k-10k domains to have a chance. Also, you need a big marketing budget and time to spare.

•••
This is a good advice, but you need either to deal with a single industry/niche, as finance/tech/health/crypto and so on or you need at least 5k-10k domains to have a chance. Also, you need a big marketing budget and time to spare.
Big marketing budget can earn gradually but first you must spend on advertising %50 of your income. The main is to find good marketing solution/agency that makes your marketplace popular on the web.

•••
I own 600 domain names 65% Hand Reg, 20% bought at auction, and the rest bought from Godaddy closeouts.

For the past 3 years I've sold 8 domains 1x $2888 1x $2500 1x $995 and 5 x $265

My aim is to expand my portfolio size from 600 to 2000 domains and make at least $30k per year in sales.

That's around 7k sales in 3 years, with closeouts and auctions, that's not to much, probably you bed to tune up your choices for domains before scaling up, because you risk to loose a lot. I'm selling 3-4 times that in a single year and that's in a bad year, with mostly hand regs and with around 500 domains. You can't be happy with that, if you count your own time as well. The best I did was around 50k in a year, with around 500 domains. You need to change your buying strategy or choose better domains, buying them from closeouts or auction doesn't guarantee the value.

•••
Big marketing budget can earn gradually but first you must spend on advertising %50 of your income. The main is to find good marketing solution/agency that makes your marketplace popular on the web.
I don't think that paying a marketing agency when you have 500 hand regs/closeouts will worth it. I've tried Google ads and facebook ads for a year and even if they brought extra sales, at this level, it didn't worth it.

Last edited:
•••
The better the name, the more deep pocket the niche, even say crypto despite the current decline, the better the chance of selling.
The higher prices, the attractive domain for buyers?

•••
Don't expand until you're profitable.

•••
That's around 7k sales in 3 years, with closeouts and auctions, that's not to much, probably you bed to tune up your choices for domains before scaling up, because you risk to loose a lot. I'm selling 3-4 times that in a single year and that's in a bad year, with mostly hand regs and with around 500 domains. You can't be happy with that, if you count your own time as well. The best I did was around 50k in a year, with around 500 domains. You need to change your buying strategy or choose better domains, buying them from closeouts or auction doesn't guarantee the value.
What’s the minimum your selling domains for? And are you selling via outbound?

Also what landers are you using ?

•••
I have my own marketplace but haven’t had any legitimate price requests come through. Maybe it’s the layout of my site DomainKnights(dot)co(dot)uk

I am getting 3k visits per day with all the domains on the redirected to there landing pages but like I say I haven’t had any legitimate price requests.

Would you recommend I change the landing pages with a BIN button ?

•••
I have my own marketplace but haven’t had any legitimate price requests come through. Maybe it’s the layout of my site DomainKnights(dot)co(dot)uk

I am getting 3k visits per day with all the domains on the redirected to there landing pages but like I say I haven’t had any legitimate price requests.

Would you recommend I change the landing pages with a BIN button ?
Your marketplace needs SEO promotion on the web. Your domains redirection isn't enough.

•••
What’s the minimum your selling domains for? And are you selling via outbound?

Also what landers are you using ?
Dan landers, doing outbound for xxx value domains, mostly cctlds, targeting exact match of companies, so the chances for a sale it's very high. Prices are from low xxx to high xxxx, also selling to other domainers for low prices.

•••
•••
•••
@lknights1987
How much money did you invest in those 600 names?

•••
Not doing volume, 1-2-3 companies per name, but they are exact match, so high STR.
I do so but they read and ignore or replied: "No, thank you".

•••
I do so but they read and ignore or replied: "No, thank you".
It happens, but for example, if you have igor.fr and there are 2-3 companies using igorsl.fr,igorco.fr or something like this, your xxx domain should be attractive.

•••
•••
•••
Should I reduce the prices of my domains and sell them off cheaper?
Depends on the names, some might sell for top dollars and it is only a matter of time while others will never sell above a certain treshold.
Flat pricing doesn't work unless you have a very homogeneous portfolio.

•••
Back