Domain Empire

£20 web domain name to go for £1million

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
£20 web domain name to go for £1million
26/06/2008

A businessman who bought the domain name http://www.£.com for £20 nine years ago is hoping to auction it for more than £1million today.

Richard Haigh's internet address is one of only two domain names in the world with a single symbol - the other is the euro - and it is expected to be snapped up by a bank at the Amsterdam sale.

Richard, 32, from Nottingham, said: "I bought it before the internet really took off and while prices for domain names were low.

"Whatever happens at the auction, its sale will change my life for ever."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/06/26/20-web-name-to-go-for-1m-89520-20621262

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ThaiIDNs said:
Its actually because the name isn't going to resolve once the new IETF standard is implemented. Potential bidders have obviously done their homework, unlike most people on this forum.

Ok, i'll take the bait :) Can you please post in this thread details of the 'IETF standard' you say is going to be implemented?

Thanks,

•••
symboldomain said:
Ok, i'll take the bait :) Can you please post in this thread details of the 'IETF standard' you say is going to be implemented?

Thanks,

i have followed the working group daily for the last 2 years. the system is moving from an "exclusive Unicode system" i.e. we will only chuck out certain Unicode points to an "inclusive Unicode system" where only an approved selection of Unicode points will be included. And the list of approved points is decided by the working group

To be honest, i am pretty shocked you guys on this forum don't know about such a working group. You can join the list here:

http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/idna-update

Get educated, so you don't waste more money and fantasies on names that have a very short shelf life.

•••
ThaiIDNs said:
Get educated, so you don't waste more money and fantasies on names that have a very short shelf life.

Hehe, hilarious. I somehow think i'll pass on Mr Alvestrand's updates from 2006!

•••
symboldomain said:
Hehe, hilarious. I somehow think i'll pass on Mr Alvestrand's updates from 2006!

he runs the mailing list. the list is current and posted to every day by people from the likes of verisign and others that actually control how DNS works. Have you ever heard of IETF before today?

what a phreaking idiot you are. keep your head in the sand so we don't have to see it. and please buy some more dingbats so I can laugh at you when they don't resolve.

•••
unbelievable story, lucky man.

•••
ThaiIDNs said:
Have you ever heard of IETF before today?

Don't be silly, yes of course I have. I have actually been tracking their 'progress' in detail for the last 4 years..

ThaiIDNs said:
what a phreaking idiot you are.

Ok, that's fine. Please now try to keep your insults and offensive behaviour to yourself. I have just had a quick look at your earlier postings, on this forum, and they are all pretty much negative - no great surprise there then! lol.

Unfortunately, on a more serious note, that is one of the pitfalls of a public forum. In that, people like you, who have very little to contribute or say, are allowed to make comment. That is fine 'though, as NamePros is here for domainers who DO want to talk domains and have discussion.

•••
symboldomain said:
Don't be silly, yes of course I have. I have actually been tracking their 'progress' in detail for the last 4 years..

Ok, that's fine. Please now try to keep your insults and offensive behaviour to yourself. I have just had a quick look at your earlier postings, on this forum, and they are all pretty much negative - no great surprise there then! lol.

Unfortunately, on a more serious note, that is one of the pitfalls of a public forum. In that, people like you, who have very little to contribute or say, are allowed to make comment. That is fine 'though, as NamePros is here for domainers who DO want to talk domains and have discussion.

most of my comments on this forum are negative because so few people on this forum have any real grasp about IDNs. And if you have been following the mailing list for 4 years (not that I believe you have), why have you invested so much in symbol domains? Or don't you believe the IETF have any power?

Its scary isn't it when people are allowed to express their opinions, especially when they don't agree with you. It's called democracy. Or would you rather I was banned so your head can stay happily in the sand.

if symbol domains really did have a big future, then £.com would have gone for zillions. Why didn't it, even with the massive publicity? Answer that very simple question.

•••
ThaiIDNs said:
And if you have been following the mailing list for 4 years (not that I believe you have), why have you invested so much in symbol domains? Or don't you believe the IETF have any power?

You can believe what you like. I have made an investment in symbol-based domains, but this has nothing to do with 'dingbat' domains which may or may not have a future...

The IETF does indeed have some power, and they have shown that power by making the British pound symbol codepoint obsolete. In practical terms, however, this has no effect on the domain itself as it can be ported instantly to another domain.. and this is entirely in keeping with the identity of the domain name :)

The only way that £.com could ever be rendered ineffective is by deleting the registration with Verisign, which of course, is something that ICANN could never do (nor, indeed, anyone else).

ThaiIDNs said:
Its scary isn't it when people are allowed to express their opinions

It sure is, especially when you're allowed to speak..

ThaiIDNs said:
If symbol domains really did have a big future, then £.com would have gone for zillions. Why didn't it, even with the massive publicity? Answer that very simple question.

Symbol domains that I am invested in don't have a big future in the domain name aftermarket. In fact, there are only two such domains in the world that are of substantial value (imho) or are of interest to me. The question about publicity is valid, so let me answer that now. On the day of the sale, over 11,000 people visited £.com.. but, of course, by then it was too late for them to do any 'due diligence' and become verified bidders.

This domain, however, is not the type you may find for sale on eBay (or here) and any successful bidder would probably need to be a 'household name' famous brand in their own right. That being the case, any sale will likely need to take place over several months...

:)

Last edited:
•••
symboldomain said:
The IETF does indeed have some power, and they have shown that power by making the British pound symbol codepoint obsolete. In practical terms, however, this has no effect on the domain itself as it can be ported instantly to another domain.. and this is entirely in keeping with the identity of the domain name :)

I'm sorry, you have been apparently following IETF for 4 years yet you understand nothing. What is "ported instantly to another domain" - £.com will stop resolving in browsers, alongside other dingbats and symbols - so where is the value?

•••
ThaiIDNs said:
I'm sorry, you have been apparently following IETF for 4 years yet you understand nothing. What is "ported instantly to another domain" - £.com will stop resolving in browsers, alongside other dingbats and symbols - so where is the value?

Ok, my friend, that's fine. I won't be replying to you anymore and am happy to remain in ignorance - fair enough?

•••
oops, please keep it on the discussion guys, no flaming whatsoever, cool heads think better :)

•••
ThaiIDNs said:

I think that there have 2 kinds of Domainer -
the first kind of Domainer - they don't believe in IDNs
and the other kind of Domainer - they believe in IDNs

there have 2 kinds of Idner -
the first kind of Idner - they don't believe in symbol/dingbats IDNs
and the other kind of Idner - they believe in symbol/dingbats IDNs

A domain name, never mind it's ASCii or IDNs;
if the domain name works on internet; then it is a good domain name.
if the domain name not work or the domain name do not accept by network; then it is not a good domain name.

[£.com] works fine on internet at moment, so I think it's a good domain name

•••
WhoNet said:
I think that there have 2 kinds of Domainer -
the first kind of Domainer - they don't believe in IDNs
and the other kind of Domainer - they believe in IDNs

there have 2 kinds of Idner -
the first kind of Idner - they don't believe in symbol/dingbats IDNs
and the other kind of Idner - they believe in symbol/dingbats IDNs

A domain name, never mind it's ASCii or IDNs;
if the domain name works on internet; then it is a good domain name.
if the domain name not work or the domain name do not accept by network; then it is not a good domain name.

[£.com] works fine on internet at moment, so I think it's a good domain name

its not really a matter of faith or belief or what "works fine at the moment". If only life was that simple.

•••
0899228957 said:
its not really a matter of faith or belief or what "works fine at the moment". If only life was that simple.

Ok, that sounds interesting.. Can you explain in further detail what you mean?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back