IT.COM

£20 web domain name to go for £1million

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
£20 web domain name to go for £1million
26/06/2008

A businessman who bought the domain name http://www.£.com for £20 nine years ago is hoping to auction it for more than £1million today.

Richard Haigh's internet address is one of only two domain names in the world with a single symbol - the other is the euro - and it is expected to be snapped up by a bank at the Amsterdam sale.

Richard, 32, from Nottingham, said: "I bought it before the internet really took off and while prices for domain names were low.

"Whatever happens at the auction, its sale will change my life for ever."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/06/26/20-web-name-to-go-for-1m-89520-20621262

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Exciting stuff!

Great publicity for IDNs.

I'd love to see it sell for £1M :)

•••
•••
.tv said:
Good news.
BTW, the link is not working.

I got it from - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news

I believe that miror.co.uk have change the news article... :]

Kath said:
Nine years ago ? :|

The Creation Date of this domain is 25-apr-2004 -
so, probably it's a mistake, I think.

.tv said:
Good news.
BTW, the link is not working.

Okay - I foun another reports -

Businessman fetches PS1m for PS20 domain name!

June 26th, 2008 - 5:56 pm ICT by ANI

London , June 26 (ANI): Selling unique domain names can certainly make you a millionaire and the latest instance is of a businessman who sold the domain name www.PS.com for a whopping 1 million pounds at an auction.

Nine years ago, Richard Haigh, 32, from Nottingham , bought this domain name for a meagre 20 pounds.

This Internet address is one of only two domain names in the world with a single symbol, the other being the euro, which is expected to be grabbed by a bank at the Amsterdam sale.

“I bought it before the internet really took off and while prices for domain names were low. Whatever happens at the auction, its sale will change my life for ever, the Mirror quoted Richard, as saying.

Another domain name, www.pizza.com raked in 1.3 million pounds earlier this month. (ANI)

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...tches-ps1m-for-ps20-domain-name_10064777.html

But, they didn't mention the [ £.com ] ?!

Last edited:
•••
well, who would normally check out the domain?

1 million? over-priced!

•••
.tv said:
the link is not working.

Here is a screen-shot -

poundnm7.png

Last edited:
•••
I just hope it causes a rush on symbol domains......:)

•••
Any word on what £.com sold for?

•••
phantom4444 said:
I just hope it causes a rush on symbol domains......:)

Me too :hehe:

RUPERT said:
Any word on what £.com sold for?

Not yet my friend -

it will take times...

•••
removed

Last edited:
•••
I spoke to the auctioneers, and they said it didn't sell and received no (0) bids...

•••
devolution said:
I spoke to the auctioneers, and they said it didn't sell and received no (0) bids...

hmm, i'm not at all surprised....

as i said...overpriced....whoever gave it the appraisal of 1 million pound in the first place should be fired.... :imho: :)

•••
It's a very speculative domain. And people won't (shouldn't!) pay £1MM for a spec domain.

Potential big reward, but even bigger risk.

•••
I thought domains with only 1 symbol are reserved for IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority)

PS: Google recently boaught the domain g.cn (chinese google)

•••
I guess technically this is a 6 character domain: xn--9a.com = £.com. All single character IDNs must have slipped IANA's mind.

•••
thefabfive said:
I guess technically this is a 6 character domain: xn--9a.com = £.com. All single character IDNs must have slipped IANA's mind.

Yes, you are absloutly right, [this is a 6 character domain] -
but people will easily remember [ £.com ], but not the [ xn--9a.com ]
I think that
it's still okay :hehe:

•••
filesharing said:
I thought domains with only 1 symbol are reserved for IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority)

PS: Google recently boaught the domain g.cn (chinese google)

Hi,

Yes, you are right. ICANN reserved all of the English language single letter/number domains in the early 90's because of 'security concerns' (i.e. doing so may 'crash' the internet in some way). This fear was later proven, however, to be unfounded.

Of course, IDN's came in to being in 2000 and ICANN had no such concerns this time around.

Last edited:
•••
symboldomain said:
Hi,

Yes, you are right. ICANN reserved all of the English language single letter/number domains in the early 90's because of 'security concerns' (i.e. doing so may 'crash' the internet in some way). This fear was later proven, however, to be unfounded.

Of course, IDN's came in to being in 2000 and ICANN had no such concerns this time around.

It is said that VeriSign do not allow the new symbol/dingbat IDN registration since early 2008

•••
WhoNet said:
It is said that VeriSign do not allow the new symbol/dingbat IDN registration since early 2008

Yes, however it is a somewhat pointless development as all the (typeable) symbols that could have any value are already registered and will very likely never be dropped.

Dingbats are a little different of course, in that it could be argued these names have no practical use or purpose.. i.e. they cannot be typed in and have only an aesthetic appeal.

As the years go by, however, I may well stand to be corrected on the above 'dingbats' comment, as technology improves and domains may be accessible (or acquire branding value) in different ways..

•••
•••
Richard, any comment on the name not selling ?

•••
Bramiozo said:
Richard, any comment on the name not selling ?

If you ask me this question, I'll tell you -

Every seller have his target price for the domain name, and the potential buyer have their own idea price, if the price not match, no deal will be made.

But I believe that a lot of people feel interested in [£.com] :$:

•••
•••
WhoNet said:
If you ask me this question, I'll tell you -

Every seller have his target price for the domain name, and the potential buyer have their own idea price, if the price not match, no deal will be made.

But I believe that a lot of people feel interested in [£.com] :$:

Its actually because the name isn't going to resolve once the new IETF standard is implemented. Potential bidders have obviously done their homework, unlike most people on this forum.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back