Dynadot

2 letter or numbered domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
hi, i was wondering about 2 letter/number domains? like how come the minimum you can register is 3 characters, how do people like w3.org have it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think 2 letter/number domains have all been taken! w3.org worth something!

•••
norbx if you don't mind the Virgin Islands and paying $35.75+ per domain, there are many .vg domains not taken. There are even nice sounding names available like pg.vg DomainRegister.com is one of the groups who register it.

•••
worldstar said:
I think 2 letter/number domains have all been taken! w3.org worth something!
I also think all good tld's have been taken

•••
•••
hmm... i'm not too sure about registering 2 character domains. but maybe w3 is an exception. after all, its an international organisation dedicated to educating people about the internet.

•••
i have always wondered about this domain name like how people like www.o2.co.uk have it also.

•••
Once upon a time, you could register these domains, but the rules have changed, and now whenever they drop (which is rare) they are retired and taken out of public circulation. The sites that have these domains have had them for a long time.

Here is more helpful info from RJ....

-RJ- said:
Each TLD is operated by a registry. Verisign controls .COM and .NET, PIR controls the .ORG TLD, Afilias controls .INFO, Neustar controls .US, etc. Each registry may have certain terms or policies specific to its namespace.

ICANN is the body in charge of the domain name system that assigns official TLDs and sets the rules that they must abide by.

So in answer to your general question, either ICANN or the specific TLD's registry would be the one making the rules. The 2 character domain limitation was a suggested rule set forth by ICANN. Verisign didn't apply it to .COM or .NET, but rest of the gTLD registries have reserved two character names (.ORG, .INFO, .BIZ) so they cannot be registered.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back