IT.COM

.tv 2-Letter .Com Heads New Weekly Sales Report at DNJournal.com & Who Turned on the .TV?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The new weekly domain sales report is out at Domain Name Journal. It was another solid week with four reported sales hitting five figures (with three more in that range that could not be included on the chart due to non-disclosure agreements). A .org went for $15,000 and we even got our first reports of .TV sales (when people are buying that stuff then you know the market is really booming)!

Read all about it here:

Weekly Domain Sales Report at DNJournal.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Hmm, duke.,..
Dont know if you could clarify...

Supernova.org

I'm assuming that was bought by the p2p network suprnova.org?
Nice buy either way. Typeins alone must be worth a few hundred a month.

Rgds
Matt

•••
Thanks duke! :tu: :talk:

:hearts:

•••
Searches done in January 2004
Count Search Term
17154 supernova.org
75 mirror supernova.org
57 bittorrent supernova.org
55 bit supernova.org torrent
43 supernova.org torrent

•••
Originally posted by SY4
Hmm, duke.,..
Dont know if you could clarify...

Supernova.org

I'm assuming that was bought by the p2p network suprnova.org?

The article says who it was bought by:

"That $15,000 sale of third-ranked Supernova.org represents a high water market for .org in 2004. The buyer is a guy who turns up frequently on these pages, Christian Chena. He told us Supernova gets thousands of unique visitors a week, making it well worth his 15K outlay."

Chris is a very well-known domain buyer/seller from South America.

•••
Another great weekly summary Duke. Congrats on your own mentioned sales too!

I am shocked over the sale price of "supernova.org" because of the (lack of) quality of visitors. Basically the people searching for it are obviously not willing to pay for anything, so it would be little use marketing anything from the domain.

The original site also gets taken down weekly by DDOS attacks, not something you want to be even close to. And I would think anything that big and popular will get government attention in short order. Not wishing it on them, but its easy to predict such things.

•••
Hmm....interesting.

He must be getting into Warez / fileshare / movies then.

cause it's a very common misstype for Suprnova.org (for obvious reasons) and they are HUGE..running p2p sites...

Interesting move imo...one to watch and see what happens...less he is using it for a pure traffic domain.

*scratches head*

---- Just read aww's comments ----

I agree and disagree...you see, you are putting them into a "catagory" and "assuming" they dont spend money and want everything for free. Well, everyone wants something for free..whatever it is. It's human nature...but on the same level, everyone knows they have to pay for some things. Now, lets "assume" they all a computer savy...well, most of them are, and know to get the best performance, u spend $$$ to get the right cards/chips/processor..whatever...) so there's instantly a market there for pc part buyers.
The latest burning equipment...it would sell, on a pure numbers basis.

Just my opinion... :)

Rgds
Matt

Last edited:
•••
Originally posted by SY4
---- Just read aww's comments ----

I agree and disagree...you see, you are putting them into a "catagory" and "assuming" they dont spend money and want everything for free. Well, everyone wants something for free..whatever it is. It's human nature...but on the same level, everyone knows they have to pay for some things. Now, lets "assume" they all a computer savy...well, most of them are, and know to get the best performance, u spend $$$ to get the right cards/chips/processor..whatever...) so there's instantly a market there for pc part buyers.
The latest burning equipment...it would sell, on a pure numbers basis.

I believe you are right Matt. Chris is one of the smartest traffic converters in the world. He wouldn't have bought the domain if he wasn't sure he could make revenue from that huge flow of traffic coming to the domain.

•••
Bingo ;)

Hence I'm trying to figure out Eleque(a)?(SP)

;)

•••
Originally posted by Duke
I believe you are right Matt. Chris is one of the smartest traffic converters in the world. He wouldn't have bought the domain if he wasn't sure he could make revenue from that huge flow of traffic coming to the domain.

The cool thing about this is we'll all get to see what he does with it over the coming days.

Right now it's going to a filesharingcenter.com affiliate program. A great choice it seems to monetize traffic looking for file downloads. With half decent conversion rates, that in itsself could probably pay for the domain within a few months.

•••
;) Damn, dont tell me I might be right? lololol...

*scratches head even more*

•••
Originally posted by SY4
;) Damn, dont tell me I might be right? lololol...

About file swappers being ready to spend money on other things? It's not so easy to say yes or no. If 15,000 visitors come to supernova.org every day, how many would you say would be ready to spend $20 to join a site? There will be some, but not many when you consider the percentages. This kind of traffic only works when the sheer quantity of it can make up for the low conversion rates.

•••
even if 100 of the 15000 visitors, he would make $2000 a day....

•••
Originally posted by -RJ-
About file swappers being ready to spend money on other things? It's not so easy to say yes or no. If 15,000 visitors come to supernova.org every day, how many would you say would be ready to spend $20 to join a site? There will be some, but not many when you consider the percentages. This kind of traffic only works when the sheer quantity of it can make up for the low conversion rates.

However....who said anything about "Joining" a site.
They ALL NEED CD's...otherwise they wouldnt be trying to get to that site anyhows. Then there is the space needed to hold all these downloads... Not only that, maybe a Retro DVD shop with the old movies and stuff they cant "just go online and downlaod" and are more likely to spend $10 to buy it :)

I can see a HUGE marketplace for this traffic. Pitty I didnt have $35,000 to spend..lol

--- Math Time :) ---

$35,000 outlay.

Lets say 0.1% spend the "$20". That's 15 people a day, which converts to $300 a day.

That means in approx. 117 days he recoups his money.
so just under 4 mths.

Bargain imo ;)

Last edited:
•••
Not sure the .TV sales are indicative of a trend. But Spanner.tv is a weird one to draw interest in any case...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back