Dynadot

news 10 Things Domain Investors Should Note (March 13)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
Just posted at NameTalent.com the first in a trial series on 10 items that domain investors should note from approximately the last week. I try to in a concise way to answer why this might be something domain investors might want to to know about this, and links to find out more.

So what made the list this week?
  1. The .com hand registration contest for March
  2. Do you have names registered at Alpnames? If so you need to read this.
  3. Do you know about Dofo? You should.
  4. DEV off to rapid start! .
  5. Current Promotions.
  6. Enhancements at NameBio.
  7. Reinforcement Learning - why you need to know about this AI trend.
  8. ICANN 64 meeting and sale of O.
  9. A New Evaluation Tool NameWorth.
  10. A Domain Meetup. Legendary domain investor Rick Schwartz (aka TheDomainKing®) is organizing a domain meetup in Asheville on Aug 1-3.
Also a bonus on a great advice article at DNGeek and I take note that DNWire has now been giving great information to our community for 14 years!

The next one will be in about a week's time. I am open to suggestions of what I should include in each issue. This is a trial effort, which I will do for about a month or two and see if there is interest in the community. Idea is mainly for busy people who need a reminder of things they might have missed. I am not mainly covering sales or industry announcements, as those are already very well covered.

You can read the entire article and get all the links at NameTalent.
https://nametalent.com/2019/03/ten-things-domain-investors-should-know-this-week/

Let me know what you think, please!

Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you for your well written post. I look forward to seeing more.

•••
A Domain Meetup. Legendary domain investor Rick Schwartz (aka TheDomainKing®) is organizing a domain meetup in Asheville on Aug 1-3.
Nice list @Bob Hawkes thank you for your time. Please, I would like to have for information about Rick's seminar.

•••
Nice list @Bob Hawkes thank you for your time. Please, I would like to have for information about Rick's seminar.

Thanks for your interest, @dande .

Remember that in NPs as per rules is a SUMMARY of the real article. If you click on the link at the bottom of my post above it will go to the actual article. In that Rick's Asheville meetup is #10 on my list. In the description for it (pasted below) you will find live links to two of Rick's blog posts on the topic, the DNWire interview with him on the topic, and the link for those who want to register. Note that he is restricting it to 160 tickets (originally plan was less). I don't think the links work when I paste the content here, but below is what is in my original NameTalent article and all the links work there.

A Domain Meetup. Legendary domain investor Rick Schwartz (TheDomainKing®) is organizing a domain meetup in Asheville on Aug 1-3. You can listen to Andrew’s interview with him on DNWire. I took away from the interview that he is hoping to revive some of the feel of the early domain meetings in this sponsor-free event. The event seems aimed at full-time professional .com domain investors. The format is simply sitting around a table with each person describing their situation and ideas for a few minutes, followed by informal follow up discussions during social events and after the meetup. You can contact Rick through his blog to express interest or ask questions, although registrations are now being done through EventBrite. He has a post with information including prices posted here – the event has grown from his original plan to a limit now of 160. His historical account of how his interest in Asheville started by accident, and an early domain meeting there, are interesting reading.
Each of the 10+1 articles have about this much detail and all have live links to learn more. Hint.... please go to the NameTalent article to get the full story, people :xf.wink:! Plus seeing the reads number go up on the counter there gives me a warm sunny feeling :xf.smile:!

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Awesome! I do believe the series should move from a "trial status" to permanent status.

•••
By the way, I wanted to stress that although I am open to suggestions for what should be included from any source (including those offering services and products) I do not receive any special treatment or reward of any kind for including any items, and not open to any inducements for including any item. We don't even currently have any advertising of any kind at NameTalent (that may change in future).

Also I have no association in general with the items I include. Therefore while I think all of these should be of interest to someone, I am not endorsing them and certainly some of them will not be of interest to you. The goal of my list is not to evaluate items, but rather draw them to your attention.

My test for inclusion will be is this interesting to at least a significant number of people and is it important for people to know about this. It also needs some aspect of newness, although I am flexible on the definition of about a week. For example the changes are small at NameBio, but it is such an important tool to our community I wanted to make people aware of them.

I hope to have a balance across our various diverse interests within the domain community. While some will be items very active on NPs (like the one on the handreg contest or the situation at Alpnames) others are things from outside our community that are still important to know (e.g. the one on reinforcement learning). In some cases, like Dofo, it has been around for awhile but continues to improve and has more posts of late on NPs. I think that it deserved a shoutout to our community. It is an incredibly useful and powerful tool.

This will undoubtedly evolve and I welcome input. Thanks everyone!

Bob

Last edited:
•••
You contributions to NP, and to the industry, are invaluable.

Thx Bob.

•••
Some of these items, like the hand reg contest and Alpnames, have their own active NPs threads, but a number of these do not. I would love to get a discussion going on some of the other topics?

For example, what about the Asheville meetup. It is clearly a very different model from meetings like NamesCon, without sponsors, keynotes, booths, panels etc. If you have listened to Rick's interview on DNWire where he discussed his hopes for the meeting, which is essentially that just by taking out the noise, and restricting the discussion to just domainers and just professional ones even, he hopes that something as simple as just talking together in a nice location will kick off something exciting.

I was not active in the domain community back to the era pre TRAFFIC where I gathered domainer meetings worked this way. What do people think?

If you do like the model, originally (at time of DNWire interview) TheDomainKing® talked about maybe 30 to 50 (plus accompanying persons) as the right size. I gather due to early interest that has grown, with a cap now of 160. Do you think that is too many for this model (someone on Rick's blog expressed the opinion maybe it is getting too big)?

Is @Rick Schwartz active on NPs still? I would love to have you contribute to the discussion in your own words about this initiative you have spearheaded.

So what do people think? Anyone here planning to attend?

Bob

•••
•••
You contributions to NP, and to the industry, are invaluable.

Thx Bob.

Been thinking this for a while. Bob is the MVNP in my book.

•••
Thanks for your interest, @dande .

Remember that in NPs as per rules is a SUMMARY of the real article. If you click on the link at the bottom of my post above it will go to the actual article. In that Rick's Asheville meetup is #10 on my list. In the description for it (pasted below) you will find live links to two of Rick's blog posts on the topic, the DNWire interview with him on the topic, and the link for those who want to register. Note that he is restricting it to 160 tickets (originally plan was less). I don't think the links work when I paste the content here, but below is what is in my original NameTalent article and all the links work there.

A Domain Meetup. Legendary domain investor Rick Schwartz (TheDomainKing®) is organizing a domain meetup in Asheville on Aug 1-3. You can listen to Andrew’s interview with him on DNWire. I took away from the interview that he is hoping to revive some of the feel of the early domain meetings in this sponsor-free event. The event seems aimed at full-time professional .com domain investors. The format is simply sitting around a table with each person describing their situation and ideas for a few minutes, followed by informal follow up discussions during social events and after the meetup. You can contact Rick through his blog to express interest or ask questions, although registrations are now being done through EventBrite. He has a post with information including prices posted here – the event has grown from his original plan to a limit now of 160. His historical account of how his interest in Asheville started by accident, and an early domain meeting there, are interesting reading.
Each of the 10+1 articles have about this much detail and all have live links to learn more. Hint.... please go to the NameTalent article to get the full story, people :xf.wink:! Plus seeing the reads number go up on the counter there gives me a warm sunny feeling :xf.smile:!

Bob
Thank you @Bob Hawkes for the wonderful summery. You're awesome!

•••
•••
Great valuable post. thanks for sharing @Bob Hawkes

•••
I did a tiny revision to the NameTalent article The reinforcement learning description had been cut off in last sentence, and I have now completed that.

•••
Keep up the good work @Bob Hawkes . It's appreciated, even if we don't say anything :) You should definitely make it permanent :)

•••
I welcome by DM (or here if you prefer) suggestions for what should go in the second in this series.
Thanks everyone for your reads and kind comments on the first one.
Bob

•••
Thanks for mentioning dofo.com Bob, appreciated.

Great post. I'm sure we will read more excellent posts on this series! (y)

•••
Hi sir thank your for those information, do you mean in the 3 note DOFO.com ?

•••
Hi sir thank your for those information, do you mean in the 3 note DOFO.com ?
Thank you for your comment.

Yes, remember that this is just the summary of the topics. The complete coverage and links for each are at the link at the bottom of the article. For example the point on Dofo says:
  1. You do Dofo, don’t you? While Dofo has been around for some time, the powerful and user friendly one-stop method for searching for domain names is a valuable innovation in domain investing. Michael Sullivan did a great interview with Macit Tuna of Dofo here on, or you can head directly to the Dofo site at this link. I plan to do a guide or review of the product on NameTalent in the not too distant future.
If you go to the full article at https://nametalent.com/2019/03/ten-things-domain-investors-should-know-this-week/ all of the links will work (in this case one to the interview and one to the Dofo site itself).

Bob

•••
I have decided rather than once a week I am going to post these when I have 10 noteworthy things ready. I expect to post the next in the series in a day or two.

I have a question (welcome comments both from members and from @NamePros staff/moderators). Is it better to post each in this thread, so it gradually becomes longer, or is it better to create a new thread for each new article as the "noteworthy happenings" for the last week or two? (kind of like is done for example for the DNJournal weekly reports and James's blog posts).

Clearly they would get more notice each with own thread, but that also means more threads for NPs as negative. Also, by putting them all in one thread, one could find previous ones, although the new ones would get maybe lost a little.

I presume if I go with just this one thread, that someone in mod could take the date out of this thread title.

Thoughts?

Bob

•••
I have a question (welcome comments both from members and from @NamePros staff/moderators). Is it better to post each in this thread, so it gradually becomes longer, or is it better to create a new thread for each new article as the "noteworthy happenings" for the last week or two? (kind of like is done for example for the DNJournal weekly reports and James's blog posts).
Personally, I think a they might merit a new thread. Each could bring a fresh outlook and garner new perspectives, as well as keeping withing the subject matter. A longer thread becomes too convoluted, often the original idea gets lost.

But on the same token, there are sooo many new threads popping up, it does seem to get awfully cluttered with unnecessary/double topics to navigate through. However, with respected narrators, such as yourself, I think we can manage to sort through and pick out the quality.

On a side note, have often thought if you and Illes were to join forces, say once a month, to blend your "noteworthy's" and "favorites" would be one heck of formidable thread!

•••
•••
Back