Dynadot

1-character long time value growth

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I have flipped some 1-character domains like 1.NF this year. I was wondering how the prices changed while the last years. Currently its really hard to get a 1-character domain. It seems strong investors have bought out lots of them as assets for 10+ years so the market shrinks. This usually could lead to price growth.

Does anybody know a statistic where the prices are listed over the last years, or has own experience. How is the trend for the next 5-10 years for that kind of domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
OK, so I will post some figures first to push the discussion.

2013, fast flips (within 3 months):
500 $ - 800 $
.NF, .GT

•••
The shorter the domain the more value it gets, It's always useful to buy out 1-2 symbol domains.

•••
•••
It doesn't mean that any one character domain will sell that much.
As far as I've seen 1 character domains sell from mid $xxx to low $1xxx

•••
Some LL.COM sold for $.$$$.$$$ - it also does not mean that any will :)
Its just a nice list so I thought I'll post it here for other people looking for this stuff.

But having in mind that L.LL format domains - the shortest at all - are very limited, many consolidated in hands of few big investors, and there also now is a practical technological use for them, I assume the value would have to grow?

•••
Just because these names are all taken, doesn't mean they sell well at all.

It's like the .us/.in/.biz buyout venerated by some domainers, which is idiotic but these names are still pretty much worthless in general. The scarcity alone doesn't boost prices, or increase the demand.

The premium pricing is some extensions doesn't help with sales either.

I think they can be valuable in mainstream ccTLDs, but in exotic extensions they will remain gadgets. I would use a 1-character domain in my ccTLD if allowed. But why would I advertise a .nf domain or some oddball extension nobody knows ?

And if these names always get flipped from a domainer to another, and never to end users, then it is a worrying trend. It means there is no market, and somebody will be left holding the bag.

•••
There are real end users who want this kind oft domains to make some new technologies better. I sold several 1 chars to end users. I dont know why domainers always ignore this little detail but they seem to know better. But its true - such prices are not paid often.

•••
1.nf is not resolving for me. Other recently sold domains we can see in action ?

•••
The end users use them for shortening vor as their Website. Examples: g.co, no_url_shorteners, 7.mk, 4.cn, 3.cr . Also if a domain has no website and Browser is not resolving it does not mean the domain is not in use. There are many more protocols than just HTTP, f.e. SSH, FTP, no websites but still internet services the net needs much. 1.nf is sold - the user can make what he wants with it.

Last edited:
•••
never mind..

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the examples.
Indeed many seem to be redirects or URL shorteners. In China (and the rest of Asia perhaps) digits are popular for cultural reasons, or because of difficulties with using ASCII characters.

•••
I'd love to own some of the C.LL names - bear in mind although they're making a bunch more of them, few will ever be developed. Perhaps that's the way to zag when everyone else is zigging...?

Pass on the IDN's UNLESS they're in .com, .net, .org... and even then...

•••
It has happen very hard to catch a 1-char now, even with professional tools. Best I have seen some few (1, 2, 10) get in pendingDelete state :(

•••
What do you value a single letter domain at?
My biggest problem with single letter domains is the "reserve"/"premium"/"renewal" price that comes with them.

If we could find a single letter domain with a small (3 or 4 letter) extension that has a normal renewal price, in your opinion, would that be worth more?

Just curious on your thoughts.

Cheers

•••
I would generally rate the price higher since 2 years ago since its harder to get any now. Though on the opposite site the nTLD s have spread the space a little. For L.LL format - the shortest - the price should definitely go up since there is a limited amount and many are bought out and booked for the next 10, 20 years.

•••
I would say more than 2 years ago.

•••
8.CO sold for 115.000 $ at Heritage Auctions according to DNJournal.com . And its even not a letter but a number. 20.TV and 30.TV sold at 5000$ each, PZ.CA sold at 2200$ - also 2-letters make nice win.

•••
Indeed it is a number, but it is number 8 not just any number.
Not all ll domains sell. It happens in specific tlds only.

•••
•••
So here my highest sale so far: 5000$ + escrow fees for a 1-number

My subjective impression is its harder now to get 1-character domains. Resellers do no more want to sale at $$$ prices, keep the domains. Many have now been bought out by bigger investors with long renewal for years. This could lead to increasing prices. Especially since there are only some less than 1500-(2000?) worldwide of this domains in the shortest possible format C.LL

Last edited:
•••
Wonted to shere this hot news from the market in this thread too: Facebook, Twitter and german giant Deutsche Telekom registered lst months new 1-letter domains in C.LL format (the shortest). This shows the still growing trend and interest in this very limited number of worlds shortest domains. As You can read on my website there are some unique technical advantages making a 1-letter even 100 times more effective than a 2-letter.

•••
While writing a news article on the above matters I collected some interesting sales data based on DNJournal.com - hope you like it.

1-char sales 2016

Domain / Country / Sold at
1.xyz - generic - 181.720,00 USD
9.xyz - generic - 170.250,00 USD
c.gl - Greenland - 85.000,00 USD
7.gg - Guernsey - 44.145,00 USD
9.hn - Honduras - 43.204,00 USD
s.club - generic - 37.984,00 USD

1-char sales 2015

Domain / Country / Sold at
8.co - Colombia - 115.000,00 USD
i.la - Laos - 19.900,00 USD
u.is - Iceland - 14.700,00 USD

Btw, the full article can be found here: http://1-single-letter-domains.com/news/news1/?r=_n1cltvg

•••
Maybe time to mention that my L.nf sold at 2499$ on Flippa.com. I am preparing a report on this long-time-value matters currently and I hope I can provide it soon online. Just so much is sure - there is growth for the shortest C.LL format domains and it is a significant growth. 80% up between 2016 and 2015.

Some people ask why this domains should have any value at all. Here I have an interesting article:
http://1-single-letter-domains.com/news/news1/ (I have put this to the new location)

For Chinese readers please check this translation: 1字符域名: http://1-single-letter-domains.com/news/news1cn/

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back