WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Ok so I've been investing in Dumbo keywords for a bit now

Reference

www.dumboheights.com
www.dumbohouse.com
www.twotreesny.com

But now that "Dumbo" as a word has been trademarked on January 30,2019 if you didn't register before "Dumbo" domains before this date? It's too late. At least for anyone planning to sell Dumbo domains for any real estate related companies specializing in Dumbo real estate.

Dumbo is a hot real estate location. Dubbed the "silicon valley of the east".

Cobblestone streets and hot shot millennial hipsters going to work in their Birkenstocks and Doc Marten's and we'll trimmed beards.

The good news is that all domains registered prior to this is fair game and free and clear for the most part as far as Dumbo for real estate purpose.

Edit. And most importantly the value of Dumbo domains for real estate niche goes up?
Anyone have any "Dumbo" domains?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting....I had no idea it was a geo location. Always thought it was a cartoon character only. Good luck with your domains.

•••
•••
Interesting....I had no idea it was a geo location. Always thought it was a cartoon character only. Good luck with your domains.

Yea trying to sell some domains to Jed Walentas CEO Two Trees Inc.

My domains.

65Washington.com
20Jay.com
30Washington.com
125Court.com
138Court.com
91Washington.com

DumboProperty.com
DumboHeight.com
DumboApartment.com
DumboCondo.com
DumboCampus.com
DumboHome.com

Mike Mann owns MercedesHouse.com

https://www.twotreesny.com/apartments/mercedes-house

Two Trees owns

25Washington.com
325kent.com
300Ashland.com

Always follow the upcoming development pages for big time developers.:xf.wink:

•••
Are you talking about the design mark which specifically states -

Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "DUMBO" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN

•••

Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "DUMBO" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN

I go thru uspto.gov alot lately (finally) in fact it's the first thing I do before whois.

9 out 10 trademarks say that.

Does it prevent the trademark holder from reaching out to anyone using Dumbo brand?

Our legal section on NP is filled with failed urdp.

My point is. Trademarks are bad for domainers but can be good if you had the foresight to reg before the trademark is submitted.

You can use that to jack up the price of your domain.

Tell buyer the price before trademark and then after.

Not many are trademark experts. Some think they do. Hopefully they are to busy to ask a lawyer.

Take you for your word?

A trademark is pretty powerful.

The "rest" of the trademark is...........
Services IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Chamber of commerce services, namely, promoting business and tourism in the neighborhood of DUMBO, Brooklyn, New York area; Promoting economic development in the neighborhood of DUMBO, Brooklyn, New York; Providing information and news in the field of business, namely, information and news on current events and on economic, legislative, and regulatory developments as it relates to and can impact businesses; Providing marketing and promotion of special events. FIRST USE: 20190130. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20190130

And the other one is......

Mark THE DUMBO IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT
Goods and Services IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Chamber of commerce services, namely, promoting business and tourism in the neighborhood of DUMBO, Brooklyn, New York area; Promoting economic development in the neighborhood of DUMBO, Brooklyn, New York; Providing information and news in the field of business, namely, information and news on current events and on economic, legislative, and regulatory developments as it relates to and can impact businesses; Providing marketing and promotion of special events. FIRST USE: 20190130. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20190130

These above can be "stretched" to cover a lot of ground.

I mean what keyword combined with Dumbo doesn't step "out of bounds" and into the realm of the trademarks above?

It's not about the exact word of the trademark. It's about whether the trademark holder wants to go after you even if they aren't trademark experts.

And what Tm lawyer won't take their money just to go after you for the hell of it?

The legal section of NP again is littered with that.

I've been advised on NPNP ma times not to touch tm domains . Well at least not after they are regged and so long as it's in g and s not related to tm.

There is Dumbo of course for the Disney character. But dumbo for real estate or Geo tourism? None until now.

That's all I'm sayin.

The tm is pretty useful for me as a domainer. And I did not spend a dime on it.

•••
If anyone wants to try and reg any "Dumbo" domains right post TM feel free if you don't believe me.

In fact I deleted a few that were after this TM.

And I checked a few yesterday but sigh***** didn't bother regging.

You have been warned though.

•••
But now that "Dumbo" as a word has been trademarked on January 30,2019

That is bullshit.

It would be a really good idea if you learned the difference between a pending application and a registered mark.

I've posted this several times before, but it bears repeating that NOT EVERYTHING IN THE USPTO DATABASE IS A REGISTERED MARK.

What Avtar is talking about here is an application that was filed January 30. It has not even been examined by the USPTO. He is not even talking about a registered mark, but he doesn't know that because he doesn't have a clue what he is looking at or talking about.

Not only is the application in question not registered, but it is also not "'Dumbo' as a word", since the application is for the logo, and specifically disclaims the textual component of the mark.

Carry on.

Last edited:
•••

Indeed, Brad, that is the unregistered application he is talking about.

•••
I’ve been advised that I tend to be too negative, since my patience for nonsense is sometimes in short supply.

So I’ll try to turn this into something positive.

A word like “Dumbo” may be a trademark in some contexts, but not others. Of course, Disney has substantial interests and registered marks for merchandise related to the classic animated film which, like most cultural products that Disney rips off, is based on the famous circus elephant by that name.

As a geographic term, “DUMBO” refers to an area of Brooklyn:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbo,_Brooklyn

Dumbo (or DUMBO, short for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Brooklyn.

Now, if you do a raw USPTO search for “dumbo” you get a bunch of things from which I’ve picked the following to make some observations:

Serial Number Reg. Number Word Mark Live/Dead

88282190 DUMBO LIVE

88282171 THE DUMBO IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT LIVE

87797962 5671706 TACO DUMBO LIVE

85655026 4483372 DUMBO LIVE

78286699 DUMBO LOFTS DEAD

77979919 3846594 DUMBO LIVE

———————-

The first thing to notice about that list is that there are three registered marks, one abandoned application, and two pending applications. If the reasons for that are not clear, find another hobby. Something with no registration number has never been a registered mark. If it is “live” AND has a registration number, it is a registered mark. If it is “dead”, then it is either a cancelled registration or an abandoned application (again, depending on whether it has a registration number).

For Reg. No. 3846594, there is quite a long roster of goods for which Disney owns rights - housewares, clothing, jewelry, audiovisual recordings, and so on. Obviously, if a “dumbo” domain is being used in a way that treads into Disney merchandise territory, then their famous rat emperor will come after you.

Reg. No. 4483372 is for “Transportation, moving, and storage of goods” and is owned by a moving and storage company in Brooklyn. One thing to notice about that registration is that it is a “2(f)” registration as noted in the data for it. What that means is that the term “dumbo” is admittedly geographically descriptive, but the applicant showed that the mark has been used for those services for long enough on an exclusive basis that it has become distinctive as a mark for those services. It is a narrow mark, as 2(f) marks neceesarily are.

The one Avtar is looking at is a pending application for the word “Dumbo” in a particular graphic style used by the local business district organization like this:

https://blankslatepages.s3.amazonaws.com/55196f2a3d57a-DUMBO.jpg

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/10409629/dumboschaer-008*1200xx4320-2430-0-227.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1572545491/bid_logo_k.png

Unlike a 2(f) application, where the term is descriptive but the applicant contends it has become a distinctive mark, this application includes a disclaimer of the textual component “dumbo” per se. It is a concession that “dumbo” alone is not distinctive of their services which, incidentally, are:

“Chamber of commerce services, namely, promoting business and tourism in the neighborhood of DUMBO, Brooklyn, New York area; Promoting economic development in the neighborhood of DUMBO, Brooklyn, New York; Providing information and news in the field of business, namely, information and news on current events and on economic, legislative, and regulatory developments as it relates to and can impact businesses; Providing marketing and promotion of special events.”

You’ll notice that the service description itself uses “dumbo” in the ordinary sense to indicate the neighborhood.

It is not yet a registered mark, because it was only filed a few days ago. But even if it becomes registered, it will not preclude the use of the word “dumbo” as a geographic term referring to that neighborhood.

A geographic term CAN be a mark, but not directly for the geographic place itself. For example, “Vallila” is a neighborhood of Helsinki. It is also a mark for furniture. Whether you win or lose a dispute over a name like this depends on WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH THE NAME WHILE YOU HAVE IT.

For example, Vallila.com :

https://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=D2017-1458

So, what does this mean? It means that if you register and use a “dumbo” domain name in a way that is intended to trade off the reputation of the Disney elephant, you are in trouble. If you register and use a “dumbo” domain name in a way that is intended as a reference to the geographic area, then you want to investigate whether there are any particular businesses there for which it has nonetheless become a distinctive indicator. But, that shouldn’t be a problem if the subject matter coverage are things like real estate, lodging, travel services, and so on.

I’m sure for some this is all TLDR, but it takes mere moments to state a ridiculous notion. For every question, there is usually an answer which is short, simple, and hopelessly wrong.

•••
That's a $2000 short-course in trademark law. Thanks JB.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back