Dynadot

.tv 03.18.2010: .TV GoldRush / LandRush: Good News, Bad News, Updates.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
GoldRush / LandRush
Did you buy premium .TVs for reg-fee upfront from another registrar besides ENOM?
Good News & Bad News...

NOTE:
I hope .TV investors can use this thread to post updates and news as it trickles in from various registrar sources. I respectfully would like to ask the USUAL SUSPECTS:yell::o:tri::td::| and the naysayers to refrain from polluting this thread with so those involved can communicate effectively. Those of us who invested money yesterday would greatly appreciate being able to share in real-time the future of our investments.

If this thread gets polluted with the same BS as usual, I won't be posting more updates here, as I don't have time to waste and I grow weary of the trolling and disrespect from within the industry. If that happens, you can email me at: // DNTV // at // B R A N D L A B // .com // and I will tell you where I'll be blogging my updates (free from any trolls).

Let's get down to business...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's no way to sum up the last 48 hours and no way to accurately predict the next 48 hours either. So I won't even waste your time right now trying to do that...

For those that bought .TV premium names for reg-fee upfront from any registrar that was NOT enom... there could be some Good News on the horizon, but some Bad News as well... depending on your P.O.V.

First, for the purposes of this discussion, I want to separate the two "rushes" from yesterday, the day-long rush aka GoldRush, and the midnight rush offered by Enom aka LandRush.

Please keep in mind, Verisign could change their minds at any time, or be persuaded to do so. What I'm posting is based on sources at various registrars. I've been communicating via email and phone for the last 48+ hours, and have not slept yet.

The excitement & drama level was beyond comparison and I could write a book based on everything that happened this week.

GoldRush:
Yesterday 3/18, there was a point in time during the day where people were able to register .TV domains that were once considered "premiums" with no upfront premium attached, w/ standard renewals. This was not possible via ENOM as they were dark most of the day but it was available at nearly every other registrar including GoDaddy, Dynadot, Name.com and countless others.

Based on my own hand registrations, my GoDaddy regs showed up in whois instantly and immediately resolved to my dedicated landing page for each domain. I received the email receipts and money was deducted from my credit cards. These names appeared to be mine, they were mine and as far as I'm concerned... they are mine. And as of today, they are still in whois and still resolve to my server.

Now, as far as I know, the entire premium list of 55K+ domains wasn't available during the GoldRush. I had multiple servers collecting as much near-real-time data as possible (not registering domains but tracking drops/availability, registrations and grabbing screenshots, etc.) Imagine that scene from The Matrix with 10+ monitors tracking data... if a name was available, I would've seen it on my screen or in the archive.

Throughout the GoldRush I was in contact with many domainers who were actively registering domains without problems. I was also communicating constantly with registrars getting their input and getting a greenlight to keep on registering and moving forward as it seemed these names were making their way into my account, with auth codes, the ability to lock/unlock, make server changes, resolving and most importantly I was charged for them.

I bulk checked the list of names by hand (- the filler, crap, etc) from A-Z and many that were made available were regged the 2nd time through. In fact, many were regged while in my shopping cart... I know this happened to many of you out there.

Then, sometime in the late evening... (I'll try to establish a timeline later using everyone's data/input.)... none of the available names were available. It appeared that the registry was locked down. Then ENOM sent out emails announcing the LandRush at midnight...

LandRush:
I will fill in the details later, but the short story is that there were MAJOR problems, issues, etc with CC processing at ENOM itself, the ability to buy premiums and standard upfront ELSEWHERE.... then all premiums went to $900 or much higher temporarily at other registrars, etc..

more info about LandRush when I have time...

------

Here's the Good News: GoldRush domains have a high chance of being kept for prices paid. Verisign could always change their minds but many registrars are confident that those are ours because those domains were not listed as premiums on their LandRush premium lists handed out by VRSN/ENOM for the midnight LandRush.

Here's the Bad News: LandRush domains purchased outside of ENOM for non-premium (upfront) will most likely, imo, not remain ours for the low price. Each registrar will try to negotiate with you to drop and get refund, or pay a higher upfront if you wish to keep it. There is a silver lining to this... the pricing for the LandRush domains were VERY attractive... very. If you picked up a great premium for only $20 dollars during LandRush, the registrar may offer you a price equal to or less than ENOM's list. If you would've paid premium pricing anyway, then you should be happy to pay it now knowing you beat everyone else to that valuable name during the LandRush feeding frenzy.

i.e.
There was a $1000+ Premium at ENOM, that was formerly $20,000+ per year.
I tried to buy it at ENOM, had it in my cart, checked out, money deducted, received receipt that said:
Domain not available for registration. Price 0.00
Money was deducted from my account and frozen for 30 minutes. WTH?
I know this name was highly coveted by many in my direct circle, we were all wondering who would catch it at ENOM.

But, at the same time as I was checking out at ENOM, on another monitor, I also ran my list at another registrar, the name showed up as available for under $25, and I bought it quickly. I was charged for it. It instantly resolved at to my website. The registrar called me early and told me that they must charge me for the premium pricing... they are willing to negotiate... and they will offer me the name at equal = less than ENOM's price, not much less, but less. I have a few days to decide or get a refund, then the name will go back to the pool, But for now, it is tentatively my name, I have the email receipts, my cc was charged, the domain is in whois as mine and the domain still resolves. Others have suggested I fight for it at $20. But I want to pick my battles carefully. If the registrar is charged by VRSN at the wholesale premium rate, I do not want to burn the registrar because it is not their fault, imo. Based on my research, all signs point to VRSN as the one to blame... should VRSN simply honor all the GoldRush & LandRush regs outside of ENOM? I believe they should because if they don't, it will tarnish their relaunch even further and people will lose faith in .TV and VRSN's mismanagement, and may affect the SEDO .TV auction too.

I'll be in contact with all the registrars today and will try to push through at VRSN to discuss my POV.

If anyone else has any experiences to share, please do so. Please do not use this thread to communicate your hatred for the TLD or your advice regiarding investment into it.

For all people involved in the GoldRush/LandRush, please check your domains at the registrar and post an update. You do not need to post the actual domain names (as I don't think it would be wise yet), but let us know if the name is still in your account, is it in the whois at the registrar, is it in the whois at DomainTools? Please also check the whois at domaintools so they grab an archive in case you need it later. ;) Did you also receive receipts? Does the domain resolve to your website? Has the registrar asked you to give them back? GoldRush or LandRush?

For us, no registrar has asked for my GoldRush names back YET, but the LandRush ones require further negotiation.

Please share what you can ASAP as I am collecting info on all affected parties and how each registrar is handling the situation. ;)

make no mistake... this event was one of the most exciting and dramatic experiences a domainer lives for. Their will be bumps in the road, and everyone that partook got some kind of deal somewhere... even if you bought it directly via ENOM as their prices were amazingly low...

(please excuse all typos as I have not slept and I've got another 48 hours to go...)
(I will edit as I receive more info...)

If you wish to share info anonymously, email it to me, do NOT PM me... email address above...

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is this just something that happened with Name.com or were other registrars affected? I'm not talking about those who thought they had reg'd and ended up with a credit, I'm talking about anyone having reg'd yesterday and are now getting the email saying that it was a mistake.

I have started a separate thread where 3 of the LANDRUSH names were deleted from my Dynadot account due to premium pricing mistake.

Last edited:
•••
Name.com has come back and offered fashions.tv at a premium of $367.25.

•••
Ok, so like I previously mentioned, I registered an ex-premium that wasn't on the list. Well, it's definitely in my account, it forwards to my Sedo parking page, now just waiting for the WHOIS to be updated with my info.

•••
name.com got back to me as well, this is what they want for the premiums:

banks.tv $536.75
munich.tv $***.** [might go for this]
ohio.tv $1,977.50
commerce.tv $678.00
lol.tv $339.00

Wondering whether to take munich.tv or not...

•••
•••
Yeah, what I'm thinking too.

Not cheap though, any big geo buyers out there?

If i remember correctly telepathy was making a big move on geo.tv but think they're focusing on US cities.

•••
•••

Last edited:
•••
So it seems that emails are going out from registrars (dynadot in my case) asking to pony up more money. I only got 3 landrush names and one email so far saying one was a premium and I need to pay more. I expect 2 more emails shortly and me to give back all 3 names.

At least they offered to refund my money instead of a credit!

•••
So it seems that emails are going out from registrars (dynadot in my case) asking to pony up more money. I only got 3 landrush names and one email so far saying one was a premium and I need to pay more. I expect 2 more emails shortly and me to give back all 3 names.

At least they offered to refund my money instead of a credit!

Good for you... I didnt receive any 'pay more' emails, just delete notifications + credit on account only :(

•••
•••
Flip your premiums .TV

Many top domainers were aware too late of the discounted sale of .tv names and failed to grab them.
It's your chance to resell these .tv and make easy and fast flips:
Submit Your Domain For Sale
Priority listing in the domaining.com newsletter of .tv is guaranted for the next days.

•••
Flip your premiums .TV

Many top domainers were aware too late of the discounted sale of .tv names and failed to grab them.
It's your chance to resell these .tv and make easy and fast flips:
Submit Your Domain For Sale
Priority listing in the domaining.com newsletter of .tv is guaranted for the next days.

Resell for $200-$300?
Thats what I call giving away.

•••
Last edited:
•••
and to go a bit further, I m going to show a real example for a domain I own, 2 letter domain like TU.TV, PI.Tv etc. Notice the differences:

LL.COM "Buy-It-Now" price: $238000
LL.NET "Buy-It-Now" price: $6200
LL.ORG "Buy-It-Now" price: $2800
LL.INFO "Buy-It-Now" price: $450
LL.TV "Buy-It-Now" price: $280

Maybe its time to update your "algorithms" regarding .tv's.

•••
and to go a bit further, I m going to show a real example for a domain I own, 2 letter domain like TU.TV, PI.Tv etc. Notice the differences:

LL.COM "Buy-It-Now" price: $238000
LL.NET "Buy-It-Now" price: $6200
LL.ORG "Buy-It-Now" price: $2800
LL.INFO "Buy-It-Now" price: $450
LL.TV "Buy-It-Now" price: $280

Maybe its time to update your "algorithms" regarding .tv's.

I truly hope nobody uses that sales service (Valuate)!
I just now went there, threw in 3 domains got my shitty appraisal,
threw in 3 more, it stopped me, and it said my daily credits were up! LOL
So a total of 3!
Geez F-ing thanks a lot!

So, since they were gracious enough to give me ONE whole shot of 3 domain valuations from my desktop,
now I move to my laptop for a little experiment.

I pick 3 domains, since thats all that crappy site gives you.
I pick 3 great .tv's I have seen registered here in the last few days and valuate them.
These 3 I really like a lot!

England.tv
Tech.tv
Fashions.tv

Click "Valuate" and come up with this nonsense...

England.tv - $3300.
Tech.tv - $2500.
Fashions.tv - $750.

Now WAIT, Theres more!
They will only sell your .tv at 10% of that shitty sites Valuation.
They say 10% of Valuate's appraisal is your MAX.
So that means this would be the sales price of these KILLER .tv's...

England.tv - $330.
Tech.tv - $250.
Fashions.tv - $75.

Oh, and don't forget to take their 15% cut out of this insane pricing.
I don't even want to do any more math with this assinine example.
I hope you get the point.

These aren't even my domains and I am pissed off.
Take that crap you call a service to our Community,
and shove it up your A$$!

Last edited:
•••
I have now received news that all those I reg'd in the landrush should have been priced as follows:

project.tv $960.00
ram.tv $2880.00
run.tv $1320.00
select.tv $840.00
sue.tv $2400.00
sweet.tv $660.00
tip.tv $1080.00
transport.tv $600.00
two.tv $1800.00
unique.tv $570.00
will.tv $1860.00

I am definately keeping one which I have not listed, those I got at reg fee in the goldrush are not affected.

•••
I have now received news that all those I reg'd in the landrush should have been priced as follows:

project.tv $960.00
ram.tv $2880.00
run.tv $1320.00
select.tv $840.00
sue.tv $2400.00
sweet.tv $660.00
tip.tv $1080.00
transport.tv $600.00
two.tv $1800.00
unique.tv $570.00
will.tv $1860.00

I am definately keeping one which I have not listed, those I got at reg fee in the goldrush are not affected.

That really sucks.
Sorry to hear that Len.

Sweet doesn't look so sweet anymore.

•••

project.tv $960.00
ram.tv $2880.00
run.tv $1320.00
select.tv $840.00
sue.tv $2400.00
sweet.tv $660.00
tip.tv $1080.00
transport.tv $600.00
two.tv $1800.00
unique.tv $570.00
will.tv $1860.00

Len,

Most of those names look way overpriced when you consider what some of the names at 10 x the quality of the above went for through Enom in the landrush - especially SELECT.TV, WILL.TV,SUE.TV TRANSPORT.TV, UNIQUE.TV, TIP.TV

So good move not to buy them. I wish you very well for the one you kept.

•••

project.tv $960.00
ram.tv $2880.00
run.tv $1320.00
select.tv $840.00
sue.tv $2400.00
sweet.tv $660.00
tip.tv $1080.00
transport.tv $600.00
two.tv $1800.00
unique.tv $570.00
will.tv $1860.00

So am I correct to assume that people paid $xx during "goldrush" and they are able to keep the domains at that price? If that's the case good for those who got names. However, it is completely wrong for registrars to allow that when they are imposing higher fees for those who paid $xx during "landrush"! A glitch is a glitch no matter when it happens.

•••
Sad to hear it Len :(

I've checked 1/3 of this names during GoldRush (they were taken) - so they were blocked for registration. I'm almost sure now that it was planned action with Goldrush. We had a chance to register only names they consider were non premium anymore.

•••
Len,

Most of those names look way overpriced when you consider what some of the names at 10 x the quality of the above went for through Enom in the landrush - especially SELECT.TV, WILL.TV,SUE.TV TRANSPORT.TV, UNIQUE.TV, TIP.TV

So good move not to buy them. I wish you very well for the one you kept.

I agree.

That really sucks.
Sorry to hear that Len.

Sweet doesn't look so sweet anymore.

Would have been nice to keep but a little over priced for me as a domainer, may be worthwhile for a developer with a plan.

I've checked 1/3 of this names during GoldRush (they were taken) - so they were blocked for registration. I'm almost sure now that it was planned action with Goldrush. We had a chance to register only names they consider were non premium anymore.

I think the goldrush was the real deal-time as those who got reg fee "Premiums" were picking up those that had been de-classified. Somehow the pricing got mixed up in the landrush and all "premiums" bought at that time should have had a premium price tag.

Last edited:
•••
I think the goldrush was the real deal-time as those who got reg fee "Premiums" were picking up those that had been de-classified

Who ever was in charge of the declassification needs to be wearing a white straightjacket IMHO......

•••
Sad to hear it Len :(

Quote 100%
I add that I found names.tv available but when I tryed to register it was unavailable.
Then the name was relased during the landrush.
So I have to assume there was no glitch in the GoldRush

•••
Another interesting update - I was looking at today's drop list and saw Joyas.tv (jewels in Spanish). It obviously was a premium drop. Given the new pricing structure I decided to check ENOM and found the acquisition price to be $1250. I'm sure someone will buy it but given I have only sold one Spanish domain over $1000 (most of my Spanish alt TLD sales have been for low XXX) I would be hesitant to spend that much on a Spanish .TV. Anyway in my search cart there has been a name I would like but just couldn't pull the plug due to the pricing. It was a $1000 premium on the 54K list, dropped to $750 on the 23K list yesterday, this morning it was a straight reg fee domain. I picked it up for $50 at ENOM and it is now in my ENOM account. Have they repriced other such premiums that didn't get taken the last couple days? Perhaps...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back