Domain Empire

Would it be smart to use an Email address such as [email protected] as the Registrant Contact and remove Whois Privacy?

NameSilo
Watch

Allysin

Established Member
Impact
I have pondered this for a while now. If I register a domain such as:

domain-is-for-sale.com

and create an Email address like this:

[email protected]

Then use this on all of the domains I'm trying to sell as the Contact Email address for the Registrant/Administrative/Technical Contact and turn the Whois Privacy off, would that actually work in my benefit or hurt me in the long run?

I think the positive would be that potential buyers would be encouraged to contact me.
The thing I am not sure about is - how would this effect any possible UDRP Policy cases should any ever be brought against me? Could the other party in a dispute then use this as evidence that I registered the domain with the intention of selling it for profit?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just remove Whois privacy and use the email of your choice.

•••
I purchased a domain a while back to do something similar. I was going to host my own landing pages and not only use the domain for email but also use it for custom nameservers, so that anyone looking at the whois would know it was for sale:

NS1.ThisDomain4Sale.com
NS2.ThisDomain4Sale.com
[email protected]

I never did anything with it, as it was just too much work and sales landers through the marketplaces were just easier to do.

If you are doing outbound sales specific to one domain, you could just set up email for each domain. Like [email protected]

Good luck

•••
Even with Whois privacy, you still can get plenty of spam, but I wouldn’t open yourself up to more

•••
Even with Whois privacy, you still can get plenty of spam, but I wouldn’t open yourself up to more

How? When I do a WhoIs search for one of my domains (registered at PorkBun) i literally see no way to contact me at all. For GoDaddy there is a "contact domain holder" link but it doesn't allow the sender to see anything (I assume the form goes to my email, although I'm unclear about this).

•••
How? When I do a WhoIs search for one of my domains (registered at PorkBun) i literally see no way to contact me at all. For GoDaddy there is a "contact domain holder" link but it doesn't allow the sender to see anything (I assume the form goes to my email, although I'm unclear about this).
Literally there under registrant contact. That is not my real address, but it seems to get routed through to me. Namesilo was a lot worse for some reason.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 17.16.35.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 17.16.35.png
    343.6 KB · Views: 28
•••
Lots of people have and still do try similar, it's nothing new. . Your really never going to beat a decent landing page as that is always the first port of call. Nobody goes to Whois in the first instance. There is always a good argument for creating and hosting your own landing page with a direct contact. just expect an explosion of spam to go with it.

People are so reluctant to click links you can't really avoid the email choice

Last edited:
•••
Literally there under registrant contact. That is not my real address, but it seems to get routed through to me. Namesilo was a lot worse for some reason.

But it shows nothing about you whatsoever. I just looked up one of my names and there is nothing about me at all there. It does show the registrars privacy email and their privacy address. But it isn't mine. As for being routed, that's the point of it. You get routed through them - but no one knows it's you. You need to get ICANN things, for example.

•••
I think I've sold 1 domain through whois contact in decades. So personally I use privacy on all my domains for sale. Type any of my domains for sale in and they all go to obvious clear for sale pages so I prefer the whois spam reduction.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back