NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xman

Domain Hack KingVIP Member
Impact
Here's my question..what is the value of domain hack? I've seen some good domain hack and i was wondering about the value of it. I myself own one and i'm not sure whether or not i should get more. I haven't seen any sale of domain hack. Why do we register domain hack? Is it because the domain looks cool or because there's a potential end user who's willing to buy such domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ok I will re phrase my question.

Would it be a good gamble?
Only you can answer the question. It depends on how much you can afford to lose.

•••
(however, the problem would be renewal fees, which could be quite high. I have to be vaque because I do not want to give too much away)

As you pointed out, that is the problem if that's the case & it the main thing that kills the value of the name too. Roughly how much are the renewals?

Personally, I wouldn't buy hacks just to make a person's name, but if it's a 1 character one & cheap renewals, then it would be ok. Considering that it's sitting out there available, chances are it's not worth taking.

•••
Sorry Guys if I can't give you the exact details, but it is to protect the current owner who I am in talks with at the moment.

I can tell you the renewal is over the hundreds of dollars and that the name is a reasonable first name.

Sorry to be vaque, but it wouldn't be fair to both parties. Me being one of them.

I can tell you html that the renewal fee is the thing that is putting me off with this domain name and the fact that I havn't got any plans for how to monetize it.

I has thought of adverting it in the business section of the Times, FT etc for entrepreneur set ups etc.

This is my only idea for this domain name, however, I do think the name would catch on if it was marketed.

My thinking was, if people are prepared to pay $100000 for a good catchy name, would they be prepared to pay say $15000 for a very catchy short name with a high renewal in the hundreds of dollars.

Thanks to all for your replies

BJ

•••
I can tell you the renewal is over the hundreds of dollars and that the name is a reasonable first name.

That alone would make me not go with the name. Max I would go with is a $50/year renewal, but it's up to you in the end of the day.

•••
I got courie.rs in my hack list

•••
I decided to register www.t.im :|

with a friend of mine ( this was not our first choice, but we couldn't afford the one we wanted)

Do you think this could make a good social media website?

I think it is quite catchy and thought maybe a travel social website might be the way to go.

Has anyone else any ideas for a social media website.

I would appreciate as much feedback as possible.

Thanks

BJ :wave:

Last edited:
•••
•••
T.im is not available to register now.

https://www.nic.im/public/pricing.mth

Standard Domains

1 Year 2 Years 5 Years 10 Years
£40.00 £68.00 £160.00 £280.00

Volume discounts are available through our reseller scheme. For further information please contact us at [email protected].
Premium domains with two character names

£495.00

Premium domains with one character names

£995.00

•••
Yes, like what he said. :blink:

•••
•••
I decided to register t.im ,,, :|

with a friend of mine ( this was not our first choice, but we couldn't afford the one we wanted)

I think it is quite catchy and thought maybe a travel social website might be the way to go.

Thanks

So you have spent about $1.5k without any strategy? And if the renewal fee is the same as the reg fee you will have trouble in getting enough revenue to cover up the loss. Great start!
Anyway, if you are looking for L.ccTLD with much less price and renewal fee let me know ;)

•••
Our strategy is a social media travel site, but I am up for other ideas?

The way to think about the money is this:-

If you pay $100000 for a top domain name, then your renewals on that domain are the 3% you are loosing from your $100000 not being in the bank, i.e $3000

Does that make sence.

•••
I decided to register t.im ,,, :|

Thanks

Should have bought a one letter domain from me :gl:

•••
Have you got any more like T.IM ?

•••
Premium domains with one character names

£995.00

Ouch!

I presume renewals would be at the same rate?

Personally, I think $1.5k could be better spent, eg. IDNs, but that's a different topic altogether...

•••

Last edited:
•••
Domain hack is now more popular with some big companies , for example, Microsoft's social website using so.cl as main domain name, they also own socl.com.

•••
•••
Was that reported here already?

noo.bs @ $1,208 :notme:

Radi.us @ $5,600 - nice

•••
Recharg.es - How much do you think it'll sell?

I am planning to sell a recharg.es

How much I should ask?

:blink:

•••
My first German IDN Geo domain hack: österreich :)

•••
What do you think about TeamMat(DOT)es ?
Do you consider it a one word or two word hack ?

•••
•••
I got courie.rs in my hack list

Hi Nifty, courie.rs is quite good.

The ".rs" extension is, in fact, superb for great domain hacks. I was checking today, and was amazed to see that names like fastca.rs, executiveca.rs, and familyca.rs are still available to reg!

I'm not in the auto niche, but there's obviously quite an opportunity there for someone...

:wave:

•••
I've recently registered imagistica domain hack. Imagistica means imaging on Romanian language :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back