IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It seems .PRO is slowly coming out of the cage with cheaper reg prices than they were a year ago and major registrars like netsol taking notice of the extension and promoting it. B-)

Here are some that I picked up in last couple of days:

Alexandria.pro

Anchorage.pro

Arlington.pro

Belfast.pro

Birmingham.pro

Budapest.pro

Durham.pro

Fairfax.pro

Italian.pro

Lisbon.pro

Fire away with your regs after the relaunch on September 8th, 2008.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have an LLC, for $100/yr in my state, and from everything I've seen, and read that is more than adequate to satisfy the requirements. But I don't know how to update my credentials since I received it. Years ago I complained directly to registry.pro about their weird
rules, told them my name, told them I was a sw eng. by trade, and that I'd provide
my D/L #, which I did, and they never contacted me or messed with me. Now that I
have an LLC I'd like to update the info with that lic. info to prevent unpleasant
surprises as I start to tie my business to a .pro domain

•••
I have an LLC, for $100/yr in my state, and from everything I've seen, and read that is more than adequate to satisfy the requirements. But I don't know how to update my credentials since I received it.

If you are with Encirca they will update your info/credentials with the registry.pro, just send your updates to Heather at [email protected]
I know no ways to update directly. Probably registry.pro can not accept any submissions from registrants, only from their respective registrars.

•••
Sky, you can just keep your credentials in case ever asked and for your peace of mind. However, if you aren't being asked for them you aren't required to provide the details. The way I believe .pro requirements are working right now, you just indicate your general profession. 'Business' is an option.

•••
I recently picked up some awesome dropped .pro names and purchased via SEDO a profession domain that I would not be able to in a million years in the .com.

Profession.pro has alot of value to an end user.... anything else, just does not have enough benefits to it. I am goign to develop a few domains and really see the traffic I can get and if it will provide a tangible benefit.

•••
I recently picked up some awesome dropped .pro names and purchased via SEDO a profession domain that I would not be able to in a million years in the .com.

Profession.pro has alot of value to an end user.... anything else, just does not have enough benefits to it. I am goign to develop a few domains and really see the traffic I can get and if it will provide a tangible benefit.

But what is a profession professional? A professional professionalist? I mean what kind of business would boast a name like that for their service (I mean literally, not rudely) in anticipation that someone would be doing a keyword search for that name for the information or service you provide? What service would that be? What would be the ideal names for that service, or the keyword(s) people would be likely to search on first before trying that? Would they be successful finding the service with more likely keyword before finding your site?

Those are the kinds of questions I ask myself in addition to looking up stats.

The stats on it show about 2.5M searches a month and low competition. Who knows. Maybe you can make something of it. Estibot.com appraises it at only $35 based on all the stats. (I got my status from another source). That means relative to other .PROs it doesn't have much desirability based on standard metrics of value.

I'm inclined to think that you'd be better off finding a name that has more inherent value and building on that because that name doesn't seem to pass the sniff test from the standpoint of common sense or recognizable business value from the stats.

I don't want to be a naysayer. Of course I always want to know these things about my own domain picks... which ones are strong, which are weaker, and which just aren't worth the trouble. I register domain names that are less than ideal frequently, so I'm not being judgemental.

Last edited:
•••
Sky, you can just keep your credentials in case ever asked and for your peace of mind. However, if you aren't being asked for them you aren't required to provide the details. The way I believe .pro requirements are working right now, you just indicate your general profession. 'Business' is an option.

That's risky. I had to update my credentials two times because I changed the registrant info of my domains. The first time, they just silently disconnected all my domains from DNS without further notice, they didn't even send an information mail! The second time they sent a mail and gave me a few weeks time to give my credentials, at least.

If you're running a business with thousands of visitors per day, you can't live with such a danger.

•••
Kuli you're right. It's better to check with your registrar to make sure that all details are completed correctly. I've had similar issues as you several years ago, but these days I've found the process has been simplified and I imagine more stable with Afilias.

•••
•••
But what is a profession professional? A professional professionalist? I mean what kind of business would boast a name like that for their service (I mean literally, not rudely) in anticipation that someone would be doing a keyword search for that name for the information or service you provide? What service would that be? What would be the ideal names for that service, or the keyword(s) people would be likely to search on first before trying that? Would they be successful finding the service with more likely keyword before finding your site?

Those are the kinds of questions I ask myself in addition to looking up stats.

The stats on it show about 2.5M searches a month and low competition. Who knows. Maybe you can make something of it. Estibot.com appraises it at only $35 based on all the stats. (I got my status from another source). That means relative to other .PROs it doesn't have much desirability based on standard metrics of value.

I'm inclined to think that you'd be better off finding a name that has more inherent value and building on that because that name doesn't seem to pass the sniff test from the standpoint of common sense or recognizable business value from the stats.

I don't want to be a naysayer. Of course I always want to know these things about my own domain picks... which ones are strong, which are weaker, and which just aren't worth the trouble. I register domain names that are less than ideal frequently, so I'm not being judgemental.

FinancialAdvisor.pro

I just bought this one. Being my full time business is as a financial planner.... this is priceless for me.

I can either use it for my own domain, or, would have no issues turning into a financial advisor listing service, ala paladin advisors, and charge advisors a few hundred a month for a listing.

Other great ones are product or service related... lets say....

life insurance .pro

or

medicare.pro

Makes sense?

•••
FinancialAdvisor.pro

I just bought this one. Being my full time business is as a financial planner.... this is priceless for me.

nice one. care to share the price?

•••
•••
Since I have the plural, I'd prefer it if you kept your good deal a secret.

•••
Put it this way, very low 3 figures.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

•••
Hi all.
Tell me, please, what the recorder is the best prices for a transfer?

•••
If you're running a business with thousands of visitors per day, you can't live with such a danger.

Speaking of "dangers", if you're running a business with thousands of visitors each day, it might be time to invest in a .COM domain.

I think there may be a cap on growth using a .PRO for a variety of reasons. One solution would be to secure the .COM, move the site content to the superior .COM domain, then use the .PRO as a redirect for a couple of years then let it drop. IMHO

•••
What makes the .com that superior if you are drawing the traffic and making some business isn't that all that matters. You can also always buy the .com and then move point the traffic to the .pro!

how 'bout that.

•••
•••
I think articles like this on on registrars not knowing whether to carry gtld's is very interesting.

I've felt all along that a major battle will be getting registrars to handle the orders and make them available for sale. With over 1000 coming there is going to be incredible competition for that space.

Didn't realize that the registrars have reluctance to this and I bet it is coming from just having to manage so many additional extensions and deal with potentially more venders. Big companies usually prefer going to a few high quality venders. Afilias does come to mind as one of those venders serving major registrars such as goDaddy. Hopefully this will bode well for .pro!

•••
I've felt all along that a major battle will be getting registrars to handle the orders and make them available for sale. With over 1000 coming there is going to be incredible competition for that space.
There are financial constraints as well. Becoming a registrar for any given extension is not free, there are associated costs and a process to be followed.

Registrars have to meet targets and sell a minimum of domains to make up for the recurring fees and accreditation costs. But that is difficult since .pro is not well known and demand is limited. So there is little incentive for registrars to carry unpopular extensions. But the demand will certainly remain modest if the registrars do not contribute to promotion efforts.
Kind of catch-22 situation.

I think .museum has only 3 registrars. That is more than enough for a 'market' of 600 domains...

•••
SDSINC is psychic.

I used to buy and sell gold and silver bullion. In 2004 gold was bouncing around $400 an ounce. All of the naysayers on the gold forums said that $500 an ounce would never happen but the price slowly moved past $500 an ounce. The same debate went on for months and months with laughing Microguys saying $800 was a dream and that we needed to put our money in stable stocks. They were also saying oil would never cross $50 a barrel. Gold easily ran past $800 and oil is over $100 per barrel.

Gold peaked at $1,900 an ounce last September and settled down around $1,600. Now with the dollar losing value with the mint presses running, gold's approaching $1700. But with Jimmy Carter inflation not too far ahead the dollar is going to be worth spit and there's no telling where the precious metals or hard assets will stop. The major banks around the world that used to buy on the dips and sell at the peaks are still buying but they're no longer selling. Russia and China for example are hoarding gold by the mega ton because they know what's coming.

A nice little article ran in this morning's Domainer dot com. It appears to have been sponsored by EnCirca. Anyway, here's the link.

http://www.encirca.com/domain-news/2012/volume-of-pro-domains-increase-by-220-in-two-years/

8^X

Last edited:
•••
Comparing apples to oranges.
Gold and silver are physical commodities that have built-in value. Domain names have no built-in value, especially outlying extensions.
The growth figures alone don't tell the whole story.
I'd for example look at how many .pro are actually developed and not in domainers hands.

•••
Looks like all the zip codes in .pro are soon to drop. Encircal published this article on pro zipcodes saying they are offering a deal to anyone that wants to bulk register!

zip.pro is a great concept and it looks like they have restructured their website to use subdomains so hope they continue their business!!

Last edited:
•••
•••
http://www.encirca.com/domain-news/2012/is-there-a-viable-business-with-truly-local-domain-names/

The single registrant of the domains was a company called HGTN sharing the same ownership as Hostway, the .PRO registry at the time. (The .PRO Registry has since been sold to Afilias)

These domains were deliberately kept out by of the numbers reported by akcampbell

Total .pros registered to April 2012, excluding zip .pros, increased by 6.5% in the month to 105,554.

Average daily WHOIS searches increased 13% to 86,885.

Year on year total .pros registered are up 65.3% and average daily WHOIS searches are up 194.9%.

•••
Comparing apples to oranges.
Gold and silver are physical commodities that have built-in value. Domain names have no built-in value, especially outlying extensions.
The growth figures alone don't tell the whole story.
I'd for example look at how many .pro are actually developed and not in domainers hands.

I'm not going to argue with you, but you missed the point.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back