NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It seems .PRO is slowly coming out of the cage with cheaper reg prices than they were a year ago and major registrars like netsol taking notice of the extension and promoting it. B-)

Here are some that I picked up in last couple of days:

Alexandria.pro

Anchorage.pro

Arlington.pro

Belfast.pro

Birmingham.pro

Budapest.pro

Durham.pro

Fairfax.pro

Italian.pro

Lisbon.pro

Fire away with your regs after the relaunch on September 8th, 2008.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
SDSINC is psychic.

But with Jimmy Carter inflation not too far ahead

http://www.encirca.com/domain-news/2012/volume-of-pro-domains-increase-by-220-in-two-years/

8^X

Hey, this is not a partisan politics forum. Don't slip in that junk to incite political flame wars or use this *domaining* forum push your political opinions. If you want to discuss politics go to Craig's List World Politics forum or something. Just to set a better example than you did, I am not going to try to rebut what I consider to be your misleading claim, because this isn't the place for it.

•••
Hey, this is not a partisan politics forum. Don't slip in that junk to incite political flame wars or use this *domaining* forum push your political opinions. If you want to discuss politics go to Craig's List World Politics forum or something. Just to set a better example than you did, I am not going to try to rebut what I consider to be your misleading claim, because this isn't the place for it.

You missed the point. Just because I used a few political words doesn't mean it was a political post. Get a grip.

Last edited:
•••
I got the point, which was a great point until you made an absolutely unnecessary partisan jab. Why did you do that?

•••
Hey, this is not a partisan politics forum. Don't slip in that junk to incite political flame wars or
use this *domaining* forum push your political opinions. If you want to discuss politics go to Craig's List World Politics forum or something. Just to set a better example than you did, I am not going to try to rebut what I consider to be your misleading claim, because this isn't the place for it.

There's nothing political about that statement. It refers to a time period that helps make my point. Jimmy Carter was, as a matter of fact, our president at the time so his name helps to clarify the period of time, and the amount of inflation that I am referring to.

"Push my political opinions." Now that's funny.

But if anyone is turning this into a partisan discussion and fanning the flames, it's you.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

The article that ran yesterday in Domaining ran again today. That's two baby steps.

http://www.encirca.com/domain-news/2012/volume-of-pro-domains-increase-by-220-in-two-years/

8^X

•••
There's nothing political about that statement.

Not buying that.

It refers to a time period that helps make my point. Jimmy Carter was, as a matter of fact, our president at the time so his name helps to clarify the period of time, and the amount of inflation that I am referring to.

"Push my political opinions." Now that's funny.

You're probably just used to sticking your elbows out and scarcely aware of it. But there are plenty of other ways to discuss economic tough times without non-chalantly impugning a president of either party. When you do so, others who have different perspectives about which president to tag with what phenomena are either stuck letting you get away with an unjust claim, or with getting into a back and forth political argument inappropriate for the domaining forum. You're supposed to be astute enough to avoid dropping the flame bait in the first place. It isn't rocket science.

But if anyone is turning this into a partisan discussion and fanning the flames, it's you.

Nonsense. For one thing, I didn't argue my political perspective or any specific counterpoint. All I did was said you made a a needlessly provocative political statement. And you are too smart to justify your being coy about it. For all you know, I agree with your original claim.

•••
You must work, eat and sleep politics because you have a huge chip on your shoulder. It's not a requirement that you BUY anything that I write. And there are a thousand different ways that I could have made my point ... but I'm not required to select one that suits you. And you are so immersed in your political swamp that you still have no clue what I was talking about.

Not buying that.

You're probably just used to sticking your elbows out and scarcely aware of it. But there are plenty of other ways to discuss economic tough times without non-chalantly impugning a president of either party. When you do so, others who have different perspectives about which president to tag with what phenomena are either stuck letting you get away with an unjust claim, or with getting into a back and forth political argument inappropriate for the domaining forum. You're supposed to be astute enough to avoid dropping the flame bait in the first place. It isn't rocket science.

Nonsense. For one thing, I didn't argue my political perspective or any specific counterpoint. All I did was said you made a a needlessly provocative political statement. And you are too smart to justify your being coy about it. For all you know, I agree with your original claim.

•••
You must work, eat and sleep politics because you have a huge chip on your shoulder. It's not a requirement that you BUY anything that I write. And there are a thousand different ways that I could have made my point ... but I'm not required to select one that suits you. And you are so immersed in your political swamp that you still have no clue what I was talking about.

You must live under a rock to not be aware of how politically polarizing a statement you made, particularly at this time in the US political process. I could give you a hundred reasons why it isn't the "Jimmy Carter inflation" that is soon to befall us, but should I really give you my political opinion on that here? No. For the very same reason you should know better than to say things like that here. And, what is it that you were talking about that you don't think I have a clue about?

•••
What does all that have to do with .pro ?

•••
What does all that have to do with .pro ?
None of this has anything to do with Pro because sky thinks I'm pushing an agenda and fanning the flames (I never saw any flames). And he just won't drop it.

Patience. The analogy is about PATIENCE. You can dissect the post until the next blue moon but the message is about how patience paid off with gold and there's nothing we can do with Pros except be patient. That is my opinion.

But it appears that some people think there is a conspiracy and hidden agendas and probably even some secret codes to signal my party to release the Anthrax from Area 51. But the truth will soon be revealed ... and SKY will finally be at peace.

Sky, not everyone is so immersed in politics that they're going to fall over dead if their candidate doesn't win. I could care less. They are all idiots. Why don't you relax before your head explodes.

I anticipate a three page PM explaining the world to me when I log back in tonight. If not, you still won't be able to stop yourself from insulting me a few more times.

8-X

Last edited:
•••
You know what they say about politics and religion. You guys see the post on the domains concerning the drop of zip code pro's.

It's great to see .pro reported in whatever form. I think it's a fair post to cut back into .pro has encirca reporting 220% increases over the last few years most likely took the zip pro's into consideration.

I think in most of our minds we've never really took those 42,000 into consideration. I think .co is having more serious issues as the .pro drop is just one probably low paying bulk registration deal for 42,000 domains where .co is widespread.

I think Encirca should have just reported the growth correctly to begin with and waited for the zip codes to drop. There is no real reason to hype .pro's growth as its steady and going upward without for years without any form of advertising or real push. (although I'm sure the .pro sales have increased registration significantly)

•••
None of this has anything to do with Pro because sky thinks I'm pushing an agenda and fanning the flames (I never saw any flames). And he just won't drop it.

Patience. The analogy is about PATIENCE. You can dissect the post until the next blue moon but the message is about how patience paid off with gold and there's nothing we can do with Pros except be patient. That is my opinion.

But it appears that some people think there is a conspiracy and hidden agendas and probably even some secret codes to signal my party to release the Anthrax from Area 51. But the truth will soon be revealed ... and SKY will finally be at peace.

Sky, not everyone is so immersed in politics that they're going to fall over dead if their candidate doesn't win. I could care less. They are all idiots. Why don't you relax before your head explodes.

I anticipate a three page PM explaining the world to me when I log back in tonight. If not, you still won't be able to stop yourself from insulting me a few more times.

8-X

Quit playing games. I never PM'ed you anything, nor would I. Nor did I rate your posts or 'like' or 'dislike'. There's nothing to add to what I said. I think you're deflecting. Nothing else from me about this.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

You know what they say about politics and religion. You guys see the post on the domains concerning the drop of zip code pro's.
I think Encirca should have just reported the growth correctly to begin with and waited for the zip codes to drop. There is no real reason to hype .pro's growth as its steady and going upward without for years without any form of advertising or real push. (although I'm sure the .pro sales have increased registration significantly)

I'm not feeling the zip-code drop for .PRO. I don't see it as being anything worth spending money on. Or at least not something worth spending a *little* money on. Why would anyone? I guess there are people who think that just having something show up in a keyword search in the SERP implies there will be a lot of traffic; and maybe the 'long-tail' view implies that buying a lot of zip .PROs would add up to real money in the form of volume profits across the gamut of them. But I have to think context is at least as important. Wouldn't .INFO be a much better pairing for a zip code than .PRO or .COM? What is a 32385.PRO? (BTW: I don't know where that zipcode is, so it isn't a plug for some city. For all I know it's undeveloped swamp land). Why would someone click on 32385.PRO before clicking on 32385.INFO? Seriously. And after the gTLD rush especially - when people see 32385.pro, 32385.song, 32385.ws, 32385.biz, 38385.corp, 32835.llc, 32385.site, 32385.free, 32385.me, 32385.io, 32385.hue, 32385.aroma, all at the same time. That would push them even harder toward selecting one based on context - like clicking the .INFO, or .GREEN, .HEALTH, .ART, .JEWELLERS, etc...

Personally, I stick to regging only .PROs that score well from multiple strategic standpoints, not the least of which, context. Some names are enhanced by adding .PRO to them and others make no sense at all. MOODS dot PRO ... what is that? Why would I click on it? Or HAPPY dot PRO? HAPPY dot COM doesn't mean a lot either, but there's at least some precedent to click on that when shopping for things that make one feel good, I guess. Whereas, something like RENOVATION dot PRO (I don't own that, but I think one of the posters on NamePros does) - that is something someone looking for a professional service or expert advice on renovation is likely to click on. Yet what appraisal engine is going to pick up on how optimal that name is? (at least once users get used to the idea that .COM is not the only quality link to click on, and I'm sure they will or already have).

Last edited:
•••
There are a ton of people that think .com will remain king for many generations to come. I realize that they have a huge amount of marketing dollars and corporations around them but the internet is also a curious place and I think you have to be prepared for the possibility that the public could quickly change their mindset and explore other options. This gtld tidal wave could get really interesting.

Hopefully other web developers who are developing on .pro domains remain focused on developing great content as our combined efforts can continue to raise the profile of the extension.

I agree that zip codes in almost any extension would be difficult to develop and are most likely worthless domains.

•••
There are a ton of people that think .com will remain king for many generations to come. I realize that they have a huge amount of marketing dollars and corporations around them but the internet is also a curious place and I think you have to be prepared for the possibility that the public could quickly change their mindset and explore other options. This gtld tidal wave could get really interesting.

Hopefully other web developers who are developing on .pro domains remain focused on developing great content as our combined efforts can continue to raise the profile of the extension.

I agree that zip codes in almost any extension would be difficult to develop and are most likely worthless domains.

Zip codes may be useless, but ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.travel and .job are still available at $100 a pop. I'm surprised no one has scooped those right up. All the major TLDs are taken. Because, the first thing I ever think about when doing anything on the web are all the letters of the alphabet, at once, in order, and enjoy the workout typing them in to visit the website.

•••
Patience is a virtue, but stubbornness isn't.
Time does not always pay off, because extensions can actually depreciate over time. When a new extension is launched, the value peaks during the hype (release) period. But that doesn't last long, after the initial frenzy it comes more or less worthless.
Just look at the amounts paid at the landrush .co/.mobi/.asia auctions, and the current valuation for these extensions.
All new extensions have proven that the expectations and reality do not converge.

That definitely makes sense, 104 millions .com domains, some of which are as old as 1985 are suddenly in urgent need of replacement :rolleyes:
.com isn't going anywhere, the only major trend is that the market share of ccTLDs will continue to grow.

Definitely agree. Even Neustar failed miserably at the .us zipcode project.

•••
Time does not always pay off, because extensions can actually depreciate over time. When a new extension is launched, the value peaks during the hype (release) period. But that doesn't last long, after the initial frenzy it comes more or less worthless.

Well, so far that's true, but it doesn't mean that will persist as the ability to hand reg a .COM anywhere near reasonably fitting for an arbitrary endeavor is becoming nearly impossible.
The gTLD rush may actually give people some alternatives that aren't as absurd and myopic as the forerunners.

Just look at the amounts paid at the landrush .co/.mobi/.asia auctions, and the current valuation for these extensions.
All new extensions have proven that the expectations and reality do not converge.

Yeah, but most of those extensions are tacky or have some blatant inherent liability, IMO.

.mobi -- Dot mobi what? Dot mobi dick? It just sounds dumb; and further, there's no need to get a separate dot mobi domain, because a good Internet service can determine the client type and adapt the content accordingly. So mobi sounds dumb, and it's pointless.

.web - Did someone not know they were browsing the web? It's so redundant, why even put an extension on the domain name at all? What about dot snore, dot ugh or dot howdy?

.me - Whoopie! Look at me! Look at me! Thanks dot me! If .dot me didn't over-emphasize the likelihood that the service provides individually-tailored content, I might never figure it out. Gee, um, ... I don't feel patronized by that Sesame Street style pandering at all.

.co - Sounds like an anemic .com. Only marginally better than dot biz, which sounds too cliché to take seriously. In fact, dot CO is so desperate to hook-up with a consonant, it was seen trying to pick-up dot DE in a bar.

.tv - not enough people are prepared to live up to the implicit content delivery requirements of a video-oriented domain, IMO.

.pro sounds great, but the the rules are too idiopathic to fathom in some ways. That can be fixed.

Most of them have missed the mark in some key way and missed something obvious about how they'd be perceived.
Some of the new proposed gTLDs seem less saddled with the same liabilities and may stand a better chance. Only time will tell.

That definitely makes sense, 104 millions .com domains, some of which are as old as 1985 are suddenly in urgent need of replacement :rolleyes:
.com isn't going anywhere, the only major trend is that the market share of ccTLDs will continue to grow.

.COMs aren't going anywhere, but people can't afford them as the namespace is saturated and people hoard and squat on them and jack up the prices. I don't see .COM as losing its prestige for a long time if ever. But people are being forced to find alternatives, and so far I don't see really fitting alternatives offered, but that could change.

Last edited:
•••

So you're telling me that being patient is the wrong thing to do. Instead I should assume that they are never going to increase in value so I should do what ??? I have no delusions of becoming rich from dot Pros but I am in the black. Where is my mistake?

Assume you are my broker. What are your specific recommendations?

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 AM ----------

I'll agree with "Most," but not "All." De, In, Co.Uk off the top of my head.

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

He didn't say that "104 millions .com domains, some of which are as old as 1985 are suddenly in urgent need of replacement
hhh."

He said that "the internet is also a curious place and I think you have to be prepared for the possibility that the public could quickly change their mindset and explore other options.

And one example of that is Org leap frogging over Net. People were laughing at Orgs three years ago. I'm quite happy that I decided to hold mine. Again (as with Pros) the options were dump them or hold them. Dumping eliminates any chance of a return on my investment. Holding them for a few dollars a year paid off.

And again, I am in the Black with Pros. Why would I dump anything that is in the Black?

-----------------------------

The big Zip Code buy was a peculiar thing to watch. One year ago someone thought that was a hot idea. One year later, they obviously changed their mind. Feel free to explain that one to me when you have the time.

Regarding Pro credentials, some people think they are a good thing. But without them I think that a lot more people would have taken a look at Pros and with that the extension would have gotten more exposure.

Instead, if you decide to buy a Pro, at one point during the registration you reach the credentials page. I think that a lot of people stop there and drop it.

And they aren't messing around like they used to. I've had my credentials checked three times. The third was just last week. And yes they do compare your certification number with the regulating authority. They checked mine and couldn't find a match. But I had given them a valid certification number, but they could not find it on the Board of Examiners site. Finally, at their suggestion, I faxed a copy of my diploma and a copy of the letter from the Board informing me that I had past the exam. That letter had school name, my name, full name of the board, date and my certification number ... stamped and dated. They were satisfied with that. But I am going to dig up some more support material to reinforce what they already have.

8^X

Last edited:
•••
Well, so far that's true, but it doesn't mean that will persist as the ability to hand reg a .COM anywhere near reasonably fitting for an arbitrary endeavor is becoming nearly impossible.
Okay, say that .com is saturated and will no longer grow (not true). It's still 104M registrations, a number of which are still coveted domains.

Yeah, but most of those extensions are tacky or have some blatant inherent liability, IMO.

.pro sounds great, but the the rules are too idiopathic to fathom in some ways. That can be fixed.

Some of the new proposed gTLDs seem less saddled with the same liabilities and may stand a better chance. Only time will tell.
The new extensions all share one common flaw: they are not needed or wanted. But sometimes they can find a niche where they fit in: .me would be an example.

One problem of .pro is being in competition with .com, just like .biz or .co. So it's nothing special really.

In the early days, .pro was 'special' because you had to be vetted in order to own a .pro but the system was pointless because it was restricted to 4 countries and a limited range of professions.
But there is no tangible benefit because consumers are unfamiliar with the extension, and don't even know that it's more 'trustworthy' with the vetting in place.

We know that extensions with red tape and restrictions are unpopular. But people never learn, for example the guys behind the pointless .secure TLD essentially want to pick up where .pro .jobs and others failed.

In the next few years we could have .inc, .llc, .ltd, .corp and I wouldn't be surprised if each of these quickly outnumbers .pro.
The weak extensions will be diluted, not those that are established.

.COMs aren't going anywhere, but people can't afford them as the namespace is saturated and people hoard and squat on them and jack up the prices. I don't see .COM as losing its prestige for a long time if ever. But people are being forced to find alternatives, and so far I don't see really fitting alternatives offered, but that could change.
The so-called scarcity of domains is the biggest scam from icann and its shareholders, I mean stakeholders :p
There is no scarcity of domain names, there is scarcity of quality but it's the nature of things. Each domain is unique. So there is only one sex.com. You don't create quality by setting up new arbitrary extensions. If the problem was so serious, people should have been flocking to the new TLDs that were set up post-2000. That didn't happen.

Now if somebody is looking for alternate extensions, there are plenty of alternatives already. Somebody who doesn't want to pay more than regfee is not going to buy your .com at a premium anyway so it's not business lost to domainers.

So you're telling me that being patient is the wrong thing to do. Instead I should assume that they are never going to increase in value so I should do what ???
My message has always been simple: not all extensions are equal. Domainers must be able to sort the wheat from the shaft, that is identify the extensions with potential and stay away from the extensions that are doomed to stagnate. Generally speaking and to make things clear, that means all new extensions, not .pro in particular.
Domaining is no rocket science at all. We focus on the extensions that are already valuable today because they have been embraced by end users. Investing in a new extension is completely different, it's gambling. It's anticipating that it will become big and desirable one day. History has shown that this scenario never happens.
Among the new extensions .info is probably the most successful (in numbers). Yet there is little value in it...

In 2005 I had the belief that .us could become a giant like .de or .co.uk and even bigger due to the larger US market. Later I came to the conclusion that it doesn't have to be like that, each TLD and market is different. .us could very well remain marginal, and .com dominant in the US - unlike the other industrialized countries where ccTLDs are dominant.
I simply acknowledged the reality and adjusted my strategy and expectations. No wishful thinking, no delusion.

I'll agree with "Most," but not "All." De, In, Co.Uk off the top of my head.
What are you talking about.
These are not new extensions, there are ccTLDs... that are very old !
New extensions are the artificial stuff like .biz .info .coop .aero .pro etc
But .co is a relaunched, branded ccTLD. It's not a new extension. Same for .tv.

Domainers seem to have blinders on, it took them many years to take notice of the ccTLDs, now many still believe that .co.uk or .de are the only ccTLDs that have value :(

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 AM ----------

He said that "the internet is also a curious place and I think you have to be prepared for the possibility that the public could quickly change their mindset and explore other options.
I understand the statement like this: "Consumers could become more open to alternate extensions in the future".
That doesn't mean the established stuff becomes obsolete.

And one example of that is Org leap frogging over Net. People were laughing at Orgs three years ago.
Who ? The people who were laughing at the ccTLDs I suppose.
.org has its own 'niche', with plenty of end users who would never want to 'upgrade' to .com.
.net is different, many were registered because the .com was taken.
.org is a solid extension, but for domaining purposes the opportunities are more limited than .com for example. The less popular the extension is, the fewer opportunities.

And again, I am in the Black with Pros. Why would I dump anything that is in the Black?
I guess Mike Mann must be in the black with .co too, but that does not mean .co is is good for domainers as a whole, is a good investment, or has a bright future.
Surely he is not thinking for a second .co is going to be a major extension. He just flips the names and moves on. He has an exit strategy.
My advice would be to shift your focus elsewhere when you stop being in the black.

The big Zip Code buy was a peculiar thing to watch. One year ago someone thought that was a hot idea. One year later, they obviously changed their mind. Feel free to explain that one to me when you have the time.
Is that a question for me ?

•••
SDINC - You are giving me a lot of examples but you still haven't answered my question. What is your recommendation in real time, now?

•••
Why do you want recommendations from me, you obviously don't need them since you are in the black and doing well :gl:
Anybody dabbling in .pro who isn't making a profit right now, should be seeking advice from you, not me.

Broadly speaking, for anybody else who isn't making money yet, my suggestions are of a generic nature: just look at what types of domains do sell, which extensions, identify the niche that are profitable, do research, don't believe the hype, avoid speculating heavily on unproven extensions etc.

•••
My message has always been simple: not all extensions are equal. Domainers must be able to sort the wheat from the shaft, that is identify the extensions with potential and stay away from the extensions that are doomed to stagnate. Generally speaking and to make things clear, that means all new extensions, not .pro in particular.
Domaining is no rocket science at all. We focus on the extensions that are already valuable today because they have been embraced by end users. Investing in a new extension is completely different, it's gambling. It's anticipating that it will become big and desirable one day. History has shown that this scenario never happens.

I have never said that I thought Pro would become big and desirable. If they make a surge, I sell, I make money. I don't care what happens to Pro beyond that.
-------------------
Org was laughable just three years ago. I know. I was there.
-------------------
Mike flips the names and move on. What do you think I'm trying to do ... if not that.
-------------------
"My advice would be to shift your focus elsewhere when you stop being in the black."

My focus is and has been elsewhere. My Pros don't require any attention or maintenance. You don't have to advertise them to sell them. End users check the whois and come to me.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Why do you want recommendations from me, you obviously don't need them since you are in the black and doing well :gl:
Anybody dabbling in .pro who isn't making a profit right now, should be seeking advice from you, not me.

Broadly speaking, for anybody else who isn't making money yet, my suggestions are of a generic nature: just look at what types of domains do sell, which extensions, identify the niche that are profitable, do research, don't believe the hype, avoid speculating heavily on unproven extensions etc.

Well you have surely been here when I didn't ask for your recommendations. ALL you have done is give recommendations and advice and tell us what we have done wrong. Now I ask you to answer one simple, direct question and you dodge it. That takes a lot of the gas out of everything else you've posted.

Just answer the question.

8^X

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

A massive 7.9 earthquake just hit the Philippines.

•••
Just answer the question.

What is your recommendation in real time, now?
The sensible thing to do would be pursue whatever strategy is profitable to you but not necessarily to anybody else, while having an exit strategy and keeping in mind .pro has no future :gl: :imho:

•••
I think Afilias provides .pro a future along with their on going growth. Hopefully as we get into the last quarter of the year Afilias will step up and take charge. In the mean time I'm working to get a few .pro's to the first page of google.

•••
The new extensions all share one common flaw: they are not needed or wanted. But sometimes they can find a niche where they fit in: .me would be an example.

One problem of .pro is being in competition with .com, just like .biz or .co. So it's nothing special really.

In the next few years we could have .inc, .llc, .ltd, .corp and I wouldn't be surprised if each of these quickly outnumbers .pro

Virtually every extension has a particularly cute or nifty way it pairs-up with certain keywords. There are always exceptions. "kiss.me" would be a great use of dot me, but "toys.me" doesn't work at all, IMO. "toys.com" works. "toys.de" works. "toys.pro" - pfft... what does that even mean from the end user's perspective? Whereas "golf.pro" sounds better than "golf.com", unless your site sells golf supplies. So the idea that dot pro is in direct "competition" with dot com doesn't ring true with me. It is an alternative with its own peculiarities. Whereas dot biz is much more directly in competition with dot com, because biz=business, com=company - business/company - very similar. pro=professional, com=company - professional/company - very different connotations.

Once end users see enough non- dot coms representing quality sites, the belief that a website has to have a .com to be worthwhile will erode (and I'm sure that's the case already). Visitors may still make some assumptions about .com being the most revered, but generally it will be a matter of those end users seeing names and extensions as somehow fitting the nature of the site, or being clever, funny, practical or impressive in some way or another. E.g. anything that justifies the domain name's use and attracts visitors is just fine. And for certain sites, gTLD doesn't matter at all - a weird brand name, or even xyz.biz works.

Regarding .ltd, .corp, .llc, .inc surpassing dot pro... I have my eye on one of those gTLDs, because I have an LLC. But here's the rub - those TLDs doesn't mean much for a site unless it's the name of a company one actually owns. That's a limitation dot pro doesn't have. Unless the goal is some kind of trademark or infringement on a trade. Seems like a strong legal case could be made for cyber squatting for hoarders of those. I don't see how those names compete with .pro.

And why does it matter that pro doesn't saturate to the degree .com has? As long as it doesn't go away, people who have them will use them. People who want them will buy them. Consumers who need the service and like, or at least accept the sound of the domain will click on them in the SERP. So what's the big liability that .com staunch adherents keep citing? That .pro sells for 1/10th to 1/100th of what .com does for a strong keyword? So if I can sell a .pro for 'only' $1500, is that bad for me just because the .com might sell for $25,000, when I only paid $3.49 - $15 for it? Not really. I'd love the $25K, but to me $1500 isn't chump change either. I'll take it. And if I sell a few for that price, was more than worth my while.

Last edited:
•••
Whereas "golf.pro" sounds even better than "golf.com", *unless* your site is selling golf supplies.

Please don't say this, as it is ridiculous.

I wouldn't expect any professional site, or build by a professional, or even about a profession, or anything related to this, if everyone can register a .pro domain.

•••
I think Afilias provides .pro a future along with their on going growth. Hopefully as we get into the last quarter of the year Afilias will step up and take charge.
Afilias acquired .mobi two years and a half ago.
Did anything special happen in .mobi since then ?
Four years ago, .pro was relaunched with relaxed requirements. Did .pro become more mainstream or raised its profile significantly ?
Is there anything particular that is supposed to happen in the last quarter, that we should know ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back