Dynadot

PARKED.COM - Official Thread!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

Welcome to the OFFICIAL PARKED.COM thread! :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Also, Yahoo is in the middle of an update, so you might see some changes (positive or negative) on account of that.

•••
Donny said:
zabijaq - You ask and the surfers come. :)

Donny

I thought It was really more of a chant kinda thing ... That's the problem

•••
Yahoo is still supposed to be adding 12 countries somewhere around the first of the month. So that should be good for many people.

Donny

•••
Donny said:
Yahoo is still supposed to be adding 12 countries somewhere around the first of the month. So that should be good for many people.

Donny

When you say add 12 countries, does that mean they will pay for visitors from 12 countries they currently do not?

Will it effect your tq score and will it pay the same as U.S traffic?

Last edited:
•••
Boy, people must really not be using Yahoo all that much for search anymore. I have parked domains still on the first page for fairly competitive terms, and my non-bot visits have dropped to practically non-existent, let alone the clicks.

•••
Yahoo stock is at $18 at the moment, about half of Microsoft's offer of just a few months back. I'll bet MS will try another offer and this time Yahoo is bound to accept. The way things are going Yahoo is going nowhere. It needs a kickstart called Microsoft

It's a good time to buy Yahoo stock.

•••
Another way to look at this is that Yahoo is at a 52 week low and Google is at a 52 low as well. I own stock in both. :)

DNPresident - I couldn't really tell you exactly right now, but I doubt if the RPC would be the same as US.

Donny

•••
Good update totals after the stats delay but the CTR has fallen off the cliff today...

Clicky clicky people - get with it!

•••
GILSAN said:
Yahoo stock is at $18 at the moment, about half of Microsoft's offer of just a few months back. I'll bet MS will try another offer and this time Yahoo is bound to accept. The way things are going Yahoo is going nowhere. It needs a kickstart called Microsoft

It's a good time to buy Yahoo stock.

I don't think that it is all that prudent to buy a struggling company, just because you expect a takeover :imho: What if it drops to 10 or 12 before they make another offer, or what if they never make another one?

•••
Donny said:
Another way to look at this is that Yahoo is at a 52 week low and Google is at a 52 low as well. I own stock in both. :)

This may not be as big a deal to you, Donny, but I have to say this to everyone else. It is not usually a good idea to put a lot of your investments in an area that is too related to your line of work. The idea behind this thinking is that if someone really terrible and unforseen happens to your company or industry, your investment portfolio is unrelated. The temptation is very great when an employer offers a 401k plan that gives bonus for buying company stock. If something bad happens, you lose your job and your stock like in Worldcom or Enron. I am not suggesting this will happen to Google or Yahoo, just that it is good to be diversified. When I made my living on ebay, I made sure not to buy their stock too.

Anyway, this is more or less applicable depending on how much you make from your job and how much you have invested. I recommend anyone who considers themselves a fulltime domainer to either hold a very small percentage of internet stocks or none at all (unless you have inside info :hehe: ).

l2ride55 said:
Then it's called the "stuck" market

L2

I like that :lol:

•••
l2ride55 said:
Then it's called the "stuck" market

L2
Hilarious :D

•••
Sleepys said:
I don't think that it is all that prudent to buy a struggling company, just because you expect a takeover :imho: What if it drops to 10 or 12 before they make another offer, or what if they never make another one?
You may be right, it may drop a bit more or maybe not. Problem is that both Yahoo and MS are losing ground to the big G and the only way to slow down that juggernaut is for both of them to come together.

The last offer was $33 which Yahoo refused. MS may make a slightly better offer this time, perhaps $34 or $35 a share. At least that's what I feel will happen. :$:

•••
GILSAN said:
You may be right, it may drop a bit more or maybe not. Problem is that both Yahoo and MS are losing ground to the big G and the only way to slow down that juggernaut is for both of them to come together.

The last offer was $33 which Yahoo refused. MS may make a slightly better offer this time, perhaps $34 or $35 a share. At least that's what I feel will happen. :$:

You definately may be right as well. If so I will be kicking myself for not buying any :sold:

I still can't bring myself to invest in a company purely on takeover speculation. I need to feel that the company has to be able to thrive on its own (also may be possible here).

•••
I always follow a simple rule for investing, only buy things that you understand and/or use yourself. We also have a very true inside joke at the office, 50% of the stocks that I own are currently at their 52 week low, unfortunately I bought most of them are their highs.

So if you ever want to bankrupt a company, I'm your man. :)

Donny

•••
DnPresident said:
I thought It was really more of a chant kinda thing ... That's the problem
It's really more of a speaking in tounges kinda' thing that works best.

I got on my knees the other day, started speaking incoherently, I looked to the lightning-filled sky and with tears streaming down my face sacrificed a lamb to the domain Gods..... every last one of them. Since then my earnings have gone up 20%. I plan another sacrifice this weekend, but I'm shooting for more than a 20% uplift in earnings, so I'm still undecided on what I am expected to kill for higher earnings.

•••
Seabass said:
It's really more of a speaking in tounges kinda' thing that works best.

I got on my knees the other day, started speaking incoherently, I looked to the lightning-filled sky and with tears streaming down my face sacrificed a lamb to the domain Gods..... every last one of them. Since then my earnings have gone up 20%. I plan another sacrifice this weekend, but I'm shooting for more than a 20% uplift in earnings, so I'm still undecided on what I am expected to kill for higher earnings.

lol, Just make sure you don't get too deep or the next thing you know the domain gods might be requesting a Seabass.

I sacrifice but I just sacrifice myself - I'm turning into a marshmellow sitting on the laptop 15 hours a day.

•••
Sleepys said:
You definately may be right as well. If so I will be kicking myself for not buying any :sold:

I still can't bring myself to invest in a company purely on takeover speculation. I need to feel that the company has to be able to thrive on its own (also may be possible here).
I wonder what the value is of all their assets are independently? If those could be quantified and the stock price drops to less than the value of the current assets, that, and looking at the P/E ratio, assuming that was really low..... Yahoo could be a good buy on fundamentals, not heavy speculation.

One thing that has occurred to me is what if Google becomes so popular that it is not cool with the kids anymore ("Google is my parents search engine"), or everyone starts to look at Google as being like Microsoft b/c they become like Big Brother and folks panic, and then they explore using alternative search engines. That's kind of speculative, but it could happen.

DnPresident said:
lol, Just make sure you don't get too deep or the next thing you know the domain gods might be requesting a Seabass.

I sacrifice but I just sacrifice myself - I'm turning into a marshmellow sitting on the laptop 15 hours a day.
LOL.....The domain Gods tell my they don't like fish, but I don't trust them. They have created a symbiotic relationship with me but sometimes I believe they just want to make a fancy "seabass and spicy tomato sauce over braised fennel" dinner plate out of me.

I wonder how many of us have gone the marshmellow way? I feel so unhealthy compared to when I was much younger. I still exercise but I just don't do it enough. Even if one is not fat or soft, just sitting and not moving for hours at a time has to be bad for just about every part of the human body. Nobody is meant to sit this still, for this long.

Back to Parked........ earnings are looking good, but traffic seems slightly lower than normal for this normally slow period of the year, at least with all of the co's I park with. I'm not sure why....... I'm guessing the economy.

•••
Google has some of the smartest people working for them, and they treat them like kings. They have fantastic working conditions, so they allways atract the best. The others will have to follow suit to try and catch up.

Like Seabass says, Google won't be "allmighty" forever!

Yahoo and MS will be forced into a marriage weather Yahoo likes it or not. If not this year then early next year Microsoft will go on the attack again.

•••
I'm pretty far down this week, but hoping for a rebound next.

Thank goodness Halloween is coming up.

•••
netmeg said:
I'm pretty far down this week, but hoping for a rebound next.

Thank goodness Halloween is coming up.
Historically, at least for me, it always seems that things begin to pick up again at the end of September, but it really takes until the end of October to see the traffic/income spike.

However, if you recall, every year right about the time domainers are about to make more money (Sept./Oct.) Google and/or Yahoo releases some update or makes a move that undercuts our earnings. They have done it for three years in a row. Last year, for me, it was the third phase of Panama that shotgunned earnings around the 12th of October. Earnings recovered, but I was down there for awhile..... which sucked b/c this is the beginning of "gravy time".

RE Halloween: I just bought several costume domains so that my Halloween day's earnings will be stronger. They are already doing well, thanks to Parked's many templates that allow for more accurate photos. I can't wait to see what they do as we creep towards Halloween. I'm sure it won't be a ton of cash, but I'll take it. I have working to improve "weak days" of the year, such as Halloween, with appropriate domains to give my portfolio some balance.

•••
I don't have any parked Halloween domains, but I've got hauntedinSTATE.com for each of the 50 states built around a Google Custom Search engine that only contains haunted house attractions, corn mazes, hayrides and other such stuff for each state. It's actually just one website with 50 directories and 50 different state graphic logos, but I did some creative stuff with Apache to make them all look like separate sites with separate content and separate rankings/pageranks to Google. Usually just monetized with some Google links, but this year I found some Halloween costume affiliates. I guess that would be the ultimate mini-site, heh.

•••
very talented Netmeg, quite impressive job...

•••
I'm looking forward to release of Mafia 2 game since I have hothothot domains and I'm getting few visitors now, can't imagine what it will look like after release.

Hope Illusion softworks & Petr Vochozka won't tear my hairy azz.

•••
i've decided to give a try to parked.com... My best domain (related to visits/month) had low revenue at Sedo and i am going to see how it works at Parked...

•••
Is it worth it to pay someone(25 $ hr) to optimize your domains at parked.com if you have 2000 bad and mediocre domain-names which hardly get type-in traffic at fabulous.
Obviously it depends how good the person would optimize it, but in general is it worth spending time/money on perfecting the pages(even if you do it yourself you could put a value on your time)
Suppose you have 2000 sites and without optimizing you would make $ 500 a month, what kind of extra percentage money do you think is obtainable by optimizing things?(also considering your domains might be easier to sell showing better stats)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back