NameSilo

Is Dynadot.com Down For You Too?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Expron

Senior MemberVIP Member
Impact
Hmm,

I've been trying to login to Dynadot.com all night & they seem down. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

I'm out in Chicago, IL USA so - maybe it's a regional thing?

It seems like their API is down as well.

I know they're a smaller company.. Hopefully they get up & going again soon!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ripley said:
Clearly their TOS indicates that folks who needed to delete tasted names are SOL, as a matter of policy. But as a matter of public relations, it's a good idea for them to refund the money anyway, considering all the discussion here about pulling domains out of there.

Technical glitches can happen to any company, that's just the luck of the draw sometimes. The true measure of a company is in how well they respond to those glitches, and how they treat their customers in the aftermath. So far Dynadot gets an F from me, primarily due to their abysmal lack of communication. However I believe in second chances, so we'll see how they respond to people who are losing money today.

ripley.

If they can put this up:

"Technical Difficulties

We are experiencing technical difficulties.

Please try again later.

We apologize for the inconvenience."

Then something more comprehensive is easy- very poor customer communication- and these guys are supposed to be among the best :!:

•••
•••
My guess is DDOS as well. I know they had DDOS issues in the past. You'd think a larger company like them would be able to mitigate such attacks with the proper hosting company.

•••
Dabdura said:
looks like DDos

Don't speak of things you don't know......their technical difficulties website is up just fine so it most likely isn't ddos as is their whois server/parking server all of which are on the same subnet....to say it is ddos is absolutely ridiculous and is a very ignorant statement.

•••
Just got off the phone with Dynadot @ 7:30pm EST.

The support guy indicated the issue was "basically a hardware related issue" and that "service should be restored later tonight". Did not press like a good reporter should but I figured they were busy. (%%-)

•••
Auraka said:
I for one hope they don't reimburse tasters. You guys know downtime does happen and you accepted that risk by deciding to taste. Best of luck to you.

The tasters are the victims here. No professionally run domain registration company should be down for 24hrs+, with no communication, besides a static homepage message.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the info MicroGuy. :) Guess it wasn't a DDOS attack and I shouldn't speak of what I don't know ;)

•••
I for one am never gonna do business with them again as I am down on over 30 domain reg fees because of this already. I sure hope they refund my cash which i'm sure they won't but it's def not professional at all. I hope they go back online today so i can dump atleast a couple of these domains b4 my window is up. this is BS

•••
MicroGuy said:
Just got off the phone with Dynadot @ 7:30pm EST.

The support guy indicated the issue was "basically a hardware related issue" and that "service should be restored later tonight". Did not press like a good reporter should but I figured they were busy. (%%-)

I tried calling earlier, with no answer.
The big screw-up here is something I see again and again - they fail to communicate with their customers. No wonder DDOS rumors start. With no info at all, rumors take over. Then, resentment at being left in the dark.

If Dynadot's customers aren't important enough to give an update to, then who is? A tweet, an email blast or a comment on a forum would have taken all of one minute. One minute to salvage their reputation.

I liked Dynadot. I don't anymore.

•••
Domainace said:
I tried calling earlier, with no answer.
The big screw-up here is something I see again and again - they fail to communicate with their customers. No wonder DDOS rumors start. With no info at all, rumors take over. Then, resentment at being left in the dark.

If Dynadot's customers aren't important enough to give an update to, then who is? A tweet, an email blast or a comment on a forum would have taken all of one minute. One minute to salvage their reputation.

I liked Dynadot. I don't anymore.

You hit the nail right on the head....I'll be sure to move away, I don't deal with companies who can't communicate.

•••
As an aside, I think we're either past or pretty close to the time estimate they gave Expron for coming back up.

Tick tock....

ripley.

•••
Wow... they're still down... sorry if anyone got the idea that it was a DDOS attack from my post earlier...someone before me mentioned it...and I searched on google and Dynadot had a DDOS attack back in late december of 2008 where they were down for some hours, so I figured it must be the reason, but it's not..so my bad. Hopefully it gets fixed soon. I'm still standing by Dynadot, as I like them better then any other registrar I tried. I doubt this will ever happen again in the future once it's fixed.

•••
At sunday (Asia's time) I can acces everything at Dynadot but not for my account.
Monday, everything down until right now. :(

Hopefully they can get back very soon....

They are my favorite......

•••
Still down ↓. I wonder if this is because I have ComputerCrashes.net regged with em' ☺

•••
At sunday (Asia's time) I can acces everything at Dynadot but not for my account.
Monday, everything down until right now.

Hopefully they can get back very soon....

They are my favorite......

This is why I assumed DDOS attack. When my sites have been hit they usually load slowly at first and then as the attack hits fully the site is forced down. Then they put the notice up. In some attacks a simple html page that takes virtually no server load can still show up during an attack. I'm no expert though, and honestly it doesn't matter what it is, as long as they work to get the site back up and working, and they reimburse client losses.

•••
Still Patiently Waiting... 0_o

Doesn't Dynadot Visit This Site Often?

•••
Still down.May be tomorrow will be ok.

•••
Still down, luckily I don’t have many domains to delete in my account. I hope they will get better hosting solution after this aftermath!

•••
onlinelife said:
Still down, luckily I don’t have many domains to delete in my account. I hope they will get better hosting solution after this aftermath!

Woah there little one, don't blame Silicon Valley Web Hosting for this just yet. They have been up the entire time without any hiccups. Again, people need to seriously watch how they say things on this forum as it leads member to think untruths. Dynadots dns/temp site have been up this entire time and are all on the same host as their normal site so give their host a break for now.

Side note... has anyone else emailed ICANN yet?

http://www.icann.org/cgi/contact/

Last edited:
•••
Auraka said:
Woah there little one, don't blame Silicon Valley Web Hosting for this just yet. They have been up the entire time without any hiccups. Again, people need to seriously watch how they say things on this forum as it leads member to think untruths. Dynadots dns/temp site have been up this entire time and are all on the same host as their normal site so give their host a break for now.

I am not blaming on hosting provider, hosting solution including, dynadot site backup and running 24 hours without causing issue on main interface.

•••
I Need To Renew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

•••
their gonna come back and act as nothing happened because they are already going to lose people from this downtime and they don't want potential new customers to hear of this downtime by reading about it on the site and have that turn them away once the site actually gets up.

so don't be surprised if the reasoning for what went on and explanation isn't made available.

•••
gray929 said:
their gonna come back and act as nothing happened because they are already going to lose people from this downtime and they don't want potential new customers to hear of this downtime by reading about it on the site and have that turn them away once the site actually gets up.

so don't be surprised if the reasoning for what went on and explanation isn't made available.

I really don't think they are that dumb.

But a simple post on the main domain forums would have saved them a lot of the hassle they are going to get for not doing it. :td:

•••
Still down:( At least they should place some new message with info when they expect to be up again. They should give at least one free reg to all existing customers because of that!

•••
This morning (European time), they are still down with the same message.

It has now been more than 36 hours.

If it continues like that for several days, I guess this thread will become a discussion about the best substitute registrar.... (I have always been very pleased with Namecheap, but they still remain resellers - I do anyway keep about a third of my domain names with them; I am currenty testing Rebel.com, which is reported to be reliable, but I prefer Dynadot's interface.)

Like everybody, I would be very tolerant of Dynadot's downtime if only a clearer explanation was provided about their problem.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back