Dynadot
NameSilo
Watch

prague7

NameTopic.comEstablished Member
Impact
Ooer - this one's going to run for a while... :O

From DomainNameNews:
SnapNames User Name “Halvarez” Was Nelson Brady, VP of Engineering Bidding on Domain Names [Updated]
[Updated] According to a statement from Oversee.net’s SnapNames, an employee was found to have bid in 5% of their auctions since 2005 and in some cases arranged for a partial refund of the sales price after winning an auction. DNN also confirmed the bidder as Nelson Brady, the VP of Engineering. He was bidding under the username “halvarez”.

From Snapnames:
SnapNames User Name “Halvarez” Was Employee Bidding on Domain Names
To avoid any question about whether the company benefited from this conduct, SnapNames will offer a rebate to impacted customers, including 5.22% interest (the highest applicable federal rate during the affected time period), of the difference between the prices they paid in winning auctions, and the prices they would have paid had the employee not bid in the auctions. Impacted customers will be notified by SnapNames or its representative with instructions for the offer of a rebate.

SnapNames also has taken further action to ensure its policies regarding auctions are followed, and the company remains committed to taking whatever action is necessary to protect the integrity of its auction platform.

SnapNames deeply regrets this situation and is committed to addressing its customers’ needs quickly and fairly.

There's also a FAQ page at Snapnames

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My best guess is that they decided to "investigate" when they learned that "halvarez" wasn't actually paying for names he won; otherwise, it's just more money going into the SnapNames bank account.

It's easy to keep your eyes closed when there's money coming in! :blink:

•••
•••
1. Did SN seize the domains
2. Will SN auction the names in question

•••
Tough & expensive situation to be in for all involved.

Good to see a proactive response by oversee.net to the situation once discovered.

•••
I don't understand why it would take four years to investigate something like this.

Exactly. Why??

•••
I am extremely disappointed in SN as halavarez has been involved in ten of thousands of auctions over the last 4 years — clearly via use of a software bot — yes SN never investigated this? And how could he possibility get away with drawing money from the company’s bank account to compensate him for his won domains? This is an horrid case of mismanagement and lack of oversight on part of SnapNames’ management. They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

•••
Yes, I knew it was him too and posted about it on DNF I think it was. What is even more disappointing in this is that presumably they will only refund the amount he bid up but what if he won? Then we get squat. I can think of DOZENS of times when he beat me out for a name and he won. Do I get the domain now? No chance. So we still all got screwed and thats why really I have used Snapnames only once in the last 3 years as I knew this was happening.

There have been several threads about "Halvarez" over the years. SnapNames.com taking 4+ years to discover this is ridiculous.

Here are two such threads about "Halvarez" of many -

why is halvarez...... - DNF - Domain Sales, Domain Forum, Domain Appraisals, Domain Registrars

http://www.namepros.com/domain-name-discussion/163933-whats-good-tactics-beating-guy-snapnames.html

Why was this not investigated at the time?

Brad

•••
I'm kind of miffed at why measures were not in place to check for this. Lord knows that this type of employee theft/embezzlement is not new.

Hind sight is 20/20 of course, but just seems that certain actions should have waved huge flags.

•••
I even started a thread in the past asking who this guy was. Wow, can I say I have been violated??? Horrible, horrible...Hmph... At least I will be receiving a nice rebate check (I wonder if I will get interest). Anyways shame on snapnames for turning a blind eye as they SHOULD have noticed this going on for 3-4 years.

g-

Should have read email from the fully - yup interest.

5.22% interest

•••
4+ years with all these red flags. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on Snap, and as far as I am concerned their credibility is down the drain now.

Brad

•••
If that's him, then Snapnames owes me $x,xxx+

I agree. They owe me money for sure too as I knew he was a shill for a long time and posted about it on DNF I think it was. What is even more disappointing in this is that presumably they will only refund the amount he bid up but what if he won? Then we get squat. I can think of DOZENS of times when he beat me out for a name and he won. Do I get the domain now? No chance. So we still all got screwed and thats why really I have used Snapnames only once in the last 3 years as I knew this was happening.

•••
There is no way to resolve this situation fairly.

4+ years of this. How many people lost domains to "Halvarez" that they would have otherwise won? There is no compensation there.

This is very embarrassing for SnapNames, that it was allowed to go on in the first place, and not caught for 4+ years despite the red flags.

Brad

•••
If another name was posted I would say good job. To post "Halvarez" after years of forum debates there is no way that they didn't read those threads as well, I say there is no way they didn't know what was happening, sounds to me like someone decided to unzip their lip so they decided to come clean, the better question is are you hiring now?, I'll take Halvarez3 as my employee bidding account.

•••
I am extremely disappointed in SN as halavarez has been involved in ten of thousands of auctions over the last 4 years — clearly via use of a software bot — yes SN never investigated this? And how could he possibility get away with drawing money from the company’s bank account to compensate him for his won domains? This is an horrid case of mismanagement and lack of oversight on part of SnapNames’ management. They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

Yeah, something's definitely not adding up with the part where he was not paying for these names. I'm having a really hard time trying to understand how that could happen without it throwing up even bigger red flags.

I don't use SnapNames much, but in every auction I've ever participated, I was the only bidder besides halvarez.

•••
Damn, guy got me pretty good too.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

I am actually kind of excited to see how much money I am getting back with interest.

•••
Unless they're offering a rebate equal to "halavarez"s top bid in each auction, its just showboating. Even then some people are overpaying tbh.

Sad, this from an industry leader like snapnames and by association also oversee and moniker. :td:

Took them this long to figure it out? Tough to believe.

•••
•••
SnapNames Steps up

Anyone else get this email?

Dear Moniker customer:

I’m contacting you today to inform you of an unfortunate incident at SnapNames, and to let you know what the company is doing to address it.

Recently, SnapNames discovered that an employee had set up an account on the SnapNames system under a false name and, under this name, bid in SnapNames auctions. This is a clear violation of our internal policy and was not approved by the company. We deeply regret that this conduct has impacted our customers.

Extent of impact

This conduct affected a small percentage of SnapNames auctions:
Bidding affected approximately five percent of total SnapNames auctions since 2005, most of which occurred between 2005 and 2007.
The incremental revenue from the bidding represented approximately one percent of SnapNames’ auction revenue since 2005.
No matter the level of impact, SnapNames takes this matter extremely seriously. When the matter was discovered, the company immediately closed the account in question and began a thorough investigation. The employee has also been dismissed from the company.

SnapNames further discovered that, on certain recent and limited occasions, when the employee won an auction, the employee secretly arranged to refund from SnapNames to the fictitious account a portion of the winning bid amount.

Remedy to affected customers

Though on some occasions the employee won the auction, in many instances the bidding caused the ultimate auction winner to pay more for a name than had the employee not participated in the auction.

SnapNames neither condones this conduct nor wants to be perceived as benefiting from the conduct. Accordingly, we have decided that regardless of the circumstance, in every auction where the employee’s fictitious account submitted a bid which resulted in a higher price being paid by the winning bidder, SnapNames will offer a rebate, with 5.22% interest (the highest applicable federal rate during the affected time period), to affected customers for the difference between the prices they actually paid and the prices they would have paid, had the employee not bid in the auctions. The rebate will be available in cash or in credit on the SnapNames platform, at your discretion.

SnapNames has moved quickly to address this situation. The company has retained Rust Consulting, an independent third party, who will administer the rebate offer. Within the next week, Rust Consulting will contact affected customers to provide details regarding the offer.

Your business and ongoing relationship are important to us and we can assure you that we have taken all necessary steps to ensure the integrity of the platform and reinforced controls and procedures to avoid any possibility of further breach. These include:
Enhanced monitoring of bidding activity for suspect behavior
Additional controls over financial transactions
Specific domain name registration policies for employees
In the meantime, if you have any questions, you may consult the <FAQs here, or contact the SnapNames support team:

By e-mail: <[email protected]
Phone: +1 (866) 690-6279 (toll-free in the U.S.)
+1 (503) 241-8547 (outside the U.S.)

SnapNames, and all in the Oversee family of companies, are deeply disappointed with this incident. Since its founding in 2000, SnapNames has been committed to the principles of fairness and trust; the company wants to assure customers—through both words and actions—that it remains committed to those principles.

Thank you again for your business, and for your ongoing trust in SnapNames.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kupietzky Craig Snyder
President and CEO General Manager, SnapNames.com

SnapNames
1600 SW 4th Avenue, Suite 400
Portland, OR 97201

•••
Snap names admit employee discretions

I have just received the following email from Moniker. They are admitting that an employee of theirs has been bidding on auctions ran on their site. They seem to be down scaling it however admit 5% of auctions since 2005 have been affected.

Dear Moniker customer:

I’m contacting you today to inform you of an unfortunate incident at SnapNames, and to let you know what the company is doing to address it.

Recently, SnapNames discovered that an employee had set up an account on the SnapNames system under a false name and, under this name, bid in SnapNames auctions. This is a clear violation of our internal policy and was not approved by the company. We deeply regret that this conduct has impacted our customers.

Extent of impact

This conduct affected a small percentage of SnapNames auctions:
• Bidding affected approximately five percent of total SnapNames auctions since 2005, most of which occurred between 2005 and 2007.
• The incremental revenue from the bidding represented approximately one percent of SnapNames’ auction revenue since 2005.
No matter the level of impact, SnapNames takes this matter extremely seriously. When the matter was discovered, the company immediately closed the account in question and began a thorough investigation. The employee has also been dismissed from the company.

SnapNames further discovered that, on certain recent and limited occasions, when the employee won an auction, the employee secretly arranged to refund from SnapNames to the fictitious account a portion of the winning bid amount.

Remedy to affected customers

Though on some occasions the employee won the auction, in many instances the bidding caused the ultimate auction winner to pay more for a name than had the employee not participated in the auction.

SnapNames neither condones this conduct nor wants to be perceived as benefiting from the conduct. Accordingly, we have decided that regardless of the circumstance, in every auction where the employee’s fictitious account submitted a bid which resulted in a higher price being paid by the winning bidder, SnapNames will offer a rebate, with 5.22% interest (the highest applicable federal rate during the affected time period), to affected customers for the difference between the prices they actually paid and the prices they would have paid, had the employee not bid in the auctions. The rebate will be available in cash or in credit on the SnapNames platform, at your discretion.

SnapNames has moved quickly to address this situation. The company has retained Rust Consulting, an independent third party, who will administer the rebate offer. Within the next week, Rust Consulting will contact affected customers to provide details regarding the offer.

Your business and ongoing relationship are important to us and we can assure you that we have taken all necessary steps to ensure the integrity of the platform and reinforced controls and procedures to avoid any possibility of further breach. These include:
• Enhanced monitoring of bidding activity for suspect behavior
• Additional controls over financial transactions
• Specific domain name registration policies for employees
In the meantime, if you have any questions, you may consult the FAQs here, or contact the SnapNames support team:

By e-mail: (EDITED BUT SNAPNAMES EMAIL)
Phone: +1 (866) 690-6279 (toll-free in the U.S.)
+1 (503) 241-8547 (outside the U.S.)

SnapNames, and all in the Oversee family of companies, are deeply disappointed with this incident. Since its founding in 2000, SnapNames has been committed to the principles of fairness and trust; the company wants to assure customers—through both words and actions—that it remains committed to those principles.

Thank you again for your business, and for your ongoing trust in SnapNames.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kupietzky Craig Snyder
President and CEO General Manager, SnapNames.com

SnapNames
1600 SW 4th Avenue, Suite 400
Portland, OR 97201

To unsubscribe, click here

•••
Damn, guy got me pretty good too.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

I am actually kind of excited to see how much money I am getting back with interest.

Christmas came early, kinda like losing your wallet and then finding it in the couch 4 years later next to the bag of hot cheetos, except for the fact you didn't lose it so more like ya had a gun placed to your head and then found the wallet on the street 4 years later with interest. :wave:

Last edited:
•••
Whoa! As I am still fairly new to the industry, I had no idea what Halvarez was doing to Snap auctions. A quick search on the various forums yields a lot of specific results of 2-person bidding wars that accelerated to $x,xxx and beyond!

Some people are going to be getting a lot of cash back...

•••

Hasn't Halvarez been the subject of some discussion on this forum as a possible Snapnames shill?

He should have been investigated long ago, especially when the suspicions first arose. For Pete's sake, he's been bidding since 2005!

He has bid in about every auction I have seen, so Snapnames will have their work cut out for sure. You think they're doing the right thing because they got caught red-handed?

If Halvarez has been bidding and reneging for all these years, then the fix has been in for a long time.

Excuse me while I check some of the auctions I won...

•••
is it really this halvarez? I have so many of halvarez, hard to believe it is only 5%

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back