Domain Empire

ccTLD .ES Restrictions are lifted! / Landrush

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
.ES Restrictions are lifted!

With the lifting of .es restrictions on November 8, there could be a nice little mini rush for .es domains. As of that date, .ES domains will be available to register by anyone, for any purpose.

According to the story on dnjournal, and subsequent comments, there are still plenty of keywords available...

With the coupon code at eurodns, it brings the price of .es domains down to 14.40 euros.

Here are some quick factoids on .es and spanish internet trends..

Internet Usage Statistics:
16,129,731 Internet users as of Sept/2005, 37.1% of the population, according to Nielsen//NetRatings.

Latest Population Estimate:
43,435,136 population for 2005, according to world-gazetteer.

Growth

13.2 %
ITU

37.1 %
Nielsen Net//R

Any of you guys gonna register some .es goodness? :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
According to a registrar:

.es landrush already 1 hour delay. called registry, the said on the phone that they receive something like a tsunami of requests and went down.
We still send requests and wait.

Freddy

•••
Even now, after 4 hours of planned beginning of landrush their NIC is unavailable. So it was really big tsunami as it seems now.

•••
tried to check the nic.es/red.es for whois on a few names in the a-b range. seems like it still down :(

•••
...goldrush..yes i had a lot of sympatic names(but no money :( )...(for example apostar.es,world.es,medicamentos.es..)recently free...but too late today...

i just (pre)save change.es ,tour.es,touroperator.es... :)

•••
Went to bed, hoping to wake up for the ultimate, but whats happend now? Postponed?

•••
They're in "technical pause" currently, because they need to manage all the pre-registrations to see who finally gets the names...

Does anybody know what kind of preferences-system is used to assign the domains many people applied for? Chronological order?

IMO registering english names with .ES extension is a waste of money (at the moment), I mean nobody is gonna type "world.es" or "drugs.es". However, there are some english terms commonly used in spanish language, such as "email", "stop" and so on.

Also, I am not sure on how popular .ES is (or will be) in countries other than Spain. In Spain it is going to become much more popular now that the prices are a lot lower and anybody can register them.

•••
I pre-regged some classics a little while back.. i will :'( if i dont get them haha

IF i do get them then retirement here i come haha

•••
Looks like nic.es is hardy prepared for such a rush.

•••
yeah. if you'll try to register some domain on nic.es, it will tell you how many pre-regs are processing now. And even now you can try to register it. ;)

•••
pertosda said:
Also, I am not sure on how popular .ES is (or will be) in countries other than Spain. In Spain it is going to become much more popular now that the prices are a lot lower and anybody can register them.

If you read my initial post in this thread, I already concluded that some sources have been misleading in this by stating how many Spanish speaking persons there's worldwide. Even many of them are in the States, but sure doesn't mean anything for the use of the Spanish ccTLD. A completely unrelated issue. The Spanish language hemisphere is covered by many ccTLDs, out of which MX and AG are the most important ones right after ES.

So my advice is to forget about Mexicans and Chileans using .es, because that just won't happen. :)

•••
Rasbelin said:
So my advice is to forget about Mexicans and Chileans using .es, because that just won't happen. :)
My advice is to follow Rasbelin advice. ;)

•••
I just got charged for most of my preregistrations, lets hope I get them :tu: Everybody pray for me and beers will be sent via email ;)

•••
i preregged around 75 .es domains... no word yet if i got any.

•••
LOL,
After the collective DOS attack at 7AM - how is it ?

Although I am not very convinced of the ES yet I placed some selected orders ;)
And I got first reg confirmed !
Many other range in position 2-80 in the nic_es waiting list, so maybe I can get
2 more in the A-B aftermatch if some paiment fails :tu:

Let's see what round 2 will bring :snaphappy:

•••
We still need to wait a bit more...

Currently ESNIC has decided to handle the overload situation by splitting the requests management (registrations and pre-registrations) during the following days like this:

08/11/2005: Names starting by letters in the range [0-9a-b]
09/11/2005: Names starting by letters in the range [0-9a-e]
10/11/2005: Names starting by letters in the range [0-9a-n]
11/11/2005: Any valid domain name

The good thing is that if you try to register one of the names allowed in the daily range you can get to know how many requests the name has.

All my pre-regged names I can check today (starting by A or B) have around 50-100 requests each, except one that has 9 and another having 16... so it seems I will need to get very lucky to receive at least one of them ;)

•••
50-100 preregges goddam. I havent got any yet :( nomalia's pre registration of auto.es seems to have failed me

•••
Last edited:
•••
Looks like my first 2 preregs they didn't get... this is so messed up and frustrating.. the .es registry has to get their stuff together.. UGH! I hope I get most of my other ones :tu:

•••
So far, 0 out of 5 :( let's see how it goes for the remaining 267... %%-

•••
Mole:

You could not get it, it was registered with someone with a trademark. Therefore, it was never available in the opening.
Marca: BAB BENY ARREGOCES BLANCO

I was thinking of registering bab.es for the heck of it, looks like EuroDNS.com isn't open for business yet.

I agree completely.

Even if I think that Spain it is a very interesting market for domains is this moment, as you said forget about a chilean, argentinian or mexican choosing a .es, by far they prefer their local extention for many reasons, including the fact that they do not like the influence of Spain in business (ask to a customer of Telefonica).

Just a example, Spain for many years have a very restrictive policy about registering domain, that even costed more than $140 a year, while countries like Argentina were completely opened and the domains free and wothout the redtape of Spain.

Those that will use the .es are people from Spain or having business in Spain. For long time they prefered the .com and probably will move to .es and the much cheaper .com.es

Argentina is AR

Rasbelin said:
If you read my initial post in this thread, I already concluded that some sources have been misleading in this by stating how many Spanish speaking persons there's worldwide. Even many of them are in the States, but sure doesn't mean anything for the use of the Spanish ccTLD. A completely unrelated issue. The Spanish language hemisphere is covered by many ccTLDs, out of which MX and AG are the most important ones right after ES.

•••
Anyone know of a live registrar I can register .be domains?

•••
•••
I just had confimation that 3 of my 8 domains where accepted. Just wait and see if the rest will come.

•••
Out of the 3 numerics i requested i got 002.es the others i did not... Just have to wait now and see if i get my pre-regged words.

•••
i got 1 out of 5

advertise.es what you guys think of it?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back