NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Startup America obtains s.co and offers free .co domains to entrepreneurs
Code:
http://domainincite.com/startup-america-obtains-s-co-and-offers-free-co-domains-to-entrepreneurs/

•••
Anyway Juan Calle just left a comment on this article where .CO is said to have "over 1.1 million" domains and Mr. Calle didn't deny it, so I suppose that's another proof Kate's numbers are correct.

.co is on the radar, as he says in the comment. What else can a person ask for? The extension is only 18 months old, there have been some really nice sales and they continue to advertise in a big way. I agree. As alternative extensions, .co is one of the better ones, IMHO.

Thanks for pointing that out poet. It's a good way of building trust.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Is this a well known company? I have never heard of them (well, there's a lot of things I've never heard of...:))

I wondered if it was allotted or paid for...

Code:
http://domainincite.com/startup-america-obtains-s-co-and-offers-free-co-domains-to-entrepreneurs/

•••

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
Go to DNsaleprice.com and any .co sale you see for over $1000 are nice sales for .co. It all depends on expectations. If you have greater expectations then that perhaps it is better to go and play the lottery...

Can you please list these very nice sales? I'm only interested in ones that you have personally verified- for obvious reasons.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Giving S.co away to a company like that is probably worth more than $1500000 in their pockets.

I'm sure the price was "well north of $1,000,000" as that was the quoted price earlier in the year

•••
•••
Giving S.co away to a company like that is probably worth more than $1500000 in their pockets.

I agree. After all, what's better than donating .COs to startups in order to promote the extension among them (which are the actual entities the Registry has been aiming at since the launch of the extension).

•••
•••
Code:

I think that has to be the shortest url for a developed site I've ever seen....oh...except for no_url_shorteners...forgot about that one.

I don't think they paid a lot for it. It is to the benefit of the registry as well...probably even more than for Startup America.

Last edited:
•••
I think that has to be the shortest url for a developed site I've ever seen....oh...except for no_url_shorteners...forgot about that one.

I don't think they paid a lot for it. It is to the benefit of the registry as well...probably even more than for Startup America.

no_url_shorteners is just a url shortening service.

StartupAmericaPartnership.org, don't really like that one, the one they were rolling with. StartUpAmerica.com is just a parked page. Their FB page is facebook.com/startupamerica. Should have paid the money and got the matching .com or that term in the .org. Sco.com should be a getting a little more traffic now.

Last edited:
•••
Have you looked at the founding board of Startup America? It's an all-star team of entrepreneurs. Pretty impressive.

http://www.s.co/about/founding-board

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

no_url_shorteners is just a url shortening service.

good point...but still developed in a way.

•••
There going from StartupAmericaPartnership(dot)org to S.co pretty cool, with $1.2 Billion in partnership commitments. And will promote dot co by giving members a 1 year free dot co reg.

the Startup America Partnership joins the ranks of other leading organizations that are using .CO domain names to more easily connect with their audiences, including Twitter (no_url_shorteners), Angel List (Angel.co), The Founder Institute (FI.co), Om Malik (OM.co), and 500 Startups (500.co), among others.

Why doesn't StartupAmericaPartnership get a short and sensible .US?!?

Good point, I guess they got a good all around deal from the registry, and Company=CO fits too.

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
I agree. After all, what's better than donating .COs to startups in order to promote the extension among them (which are the actual entities the Registry has been aiming at since the launch of the extension).
I wonder if Overstock (and a few others...) will apply for a refund :p

•••

Last edited:
•••
They're not a really a company, they're an NGO so it doesn't fit at all!

I disagree, the whole purpose of s.co (lol its easyer to type s.co then their name so i am already reaping benefits) is to encourage the start up of new companies. The people that get a co domain free for one year will be using them for companys.

•••
I wonder if Overstock (and a few others...) will apply for a refund :p

lol

Anyway I was referring to the .CO names StartupAmerica will be giving away for free to all the registered startups (even though it's very likely the very S.CO domain was handed for free as well).

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

I disagree, the whole purpose of s.co (lol its easyer to type s.co then their name so i am already reaping benefits) is to encourage the start up of new companies. The people that get a co domain free for one year will be using them for companys.

Yes, I'd say "company" fits perfect here, since this website is all about helping startups.

•••

Last edited:
•••
Anyway Juan Calle just left a comment on this article where .CO is said to have "over 1.1 million" domains and Mr. Calle didn't deny it, so I suppose that's another proof Kate's numbers are correct.

The 1.1 million number came from .CO Internet itself in November.

•••
The 1.1 million number came from .CO Internet itself in November.

Yes, I remember that post and it seems the namespace has been slowly gaining numbers since then.

Anyway SAP appears to be a solid project. From their website:

Q: What is your relationship with the White House Administration?

A: We were launched at the White House in January 2011, and the Administration is a very important partner of ours with whom we work closely. However, we are not overseen or funded by the federal government. The Administration has its own Startup America initiative.

•••
Well, there was a lot of .co hate in there. But it's probably nice to get it off your chest.

And I guess the symbol of Superman isn't known by millions? I really don't know what you are talking about. S.co stands for Superman, Colombian style...

images

Give them a .us! This is a USA based initiative for USA. That's what the us tld is perfect for.

Using .co is stupid. Who would start a business on a .co anyway?

S.co is shorter but so what? What does s.co mean? Nothing or nada.

A US based NGO should not be using a ccTLD. Period.

It's $tupid. It's bull.

I am going on a one man wrecking crew to ruin this - unless someone wants to join me. I will destroy s.co.

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
So Jerry Siegel owns S.co? I'm confused.

Yes Jerome Siegal owns S.co in a valiant attempt to procure all one letter superhero .co names. He also owns B.co (Batman), W.co (Wonder Woman) and trying to get I.co (Incredible Hulk). The Bat-cave is now located in Bogata and Wonder Woman is often seen flying over Colombia in her invisible airplane.

You see, the extension IS going places...

•••
IMO s.co is neither good or bad for .co as a whole. It's really just a neat asset and potential marketing tool for the new owner. If you think s.co will help the extention, just look at the 1 character .co that amazon obtained. You never hear of them anywhere and probably never will.

Btw, I believe Apple owns I.am. When's the last time you seen that extention doing anything spectacular?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back